Help identifying vintage Altec Lansing speaker

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by bigcatsrule, Jun 17, 2019.

1. bigcatsrule

bigcatsrule TDPRI Member

Hi All,

New to this forum and seeking help identifying a vintage Altec Lansing speaker. It's in an custom made external cab I'm thinking of getting for my Mesa Mark 1. Looks similar to a 417 but there is nothing on the label to indicate model. I couldn't find anything on the frame. I've included pics of what I could find. Any help is greatly appreciated.

IMG_20190616_104646.jpg IMG_20190616_104626.jpg IMG_20190616_104437.jpg IMG_20190616_104424.jpg

2. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

Looks like an Altec 417.
    Had one in my oooold Twin.
    Very much like an EVM 12-L, big tough 100 watt twelve. Good for Boogies.

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  3. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Usually the model is on the label on back of the magnet. It looks a lot like the 417 I have in my Boogie MK I RI. It's a great sounding speaker. When I sell the Boogie I might just keep the Altec.

4. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Meister

It certainly looks just like the 417s in my SF Twin. Great speakers

5. bigcatsrule

bigcatsrule TDPRI Member

jimash, how ooold was that twin? It does sound similar the 12L in my Mark 1. My MK1 is ~1974. The EV is newer than that.

Paul in Colorado and Lawdawg. Thanks for the replies!

6. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

My dad drove us to the city, and we went to a warehouse that my teacher knew about.
    I wanted a Super, but the Supers were $280.00 Dad had set a serious limit of $250.00 which bought a NIB Silverface drip edge,. god-knows-how-many-watts, Twin Reverb. Call it 1969.
    I had gigs, and the Gibson Mestro reverb wasn;t cutting it.
    The first speaker (Jensen ?) went bad after a large outdoor gig.
    Replaced under Warranty. After a while, I noticed that the new one was going. Strangely the other one never went. I pulled the bad speaker, and asked for one that would suck up the extra wattage. Remember, I was 15, and gonna do this myself. So they sold me the Altec. Forever after, that amp was a lopsided carry. Once that thing was in there it was indestructable, even after I had it "hotwired" much like the '68 Customs, but less polite. I still miss it, especially when I hear it on tape.

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  7. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Holic

I have a 417 in a custom cab with a 1956 Gretsch Executive. Good Lordy what a fine combination.

8. bigcatsrule

bigcatsrule TDPRI Member

Good story and memory. "a lopsided carry". that's too funny. :)

jimash likes this.
  9. bigcatsrule

bigcatsrule TDPRI Member

Tomm, I assume yours says 417 on the tag? I am still unable to find a 417 that has a tag like the one I'm looking at.

10. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Holic

Yes mine says 417C, I’ll post a pic later

11. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

All of the 417’s that I have owned...A,B,C and H models...have the full model designation on the Labels. The A,B, and C speakers I have had look like the speaker you show us, bigcatsrule.
    There are speakers for sale on line that look just like the one above and the claim is made that they are 417’s. ????
    Did Altec not have a model designation on the labels for the very first version???? I wonder if Great Plains Audio, who owns the Altec thing now, have any archives or first hand knowledge?

Milspec likes this.
  12. bigcatsrule

bigcatsrule TDPRI Member

Thanks for the input, Wally. I've sent an email to GPA. Love what they are doing. I had no knowledge of them before. Hopefully they can help!

Wally likes this.
  13. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

The label looks clipped off at the top. The one in this picture is similar,but not clipped. Maybe they ran out of 417 labels at the factory and cut off labels meant for another speaker ?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  14. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

How 'bout a picture of the front of the cone?

15. bigcatsrule

bigcatsrule TDPRI Member

jimash, great catch. You may have hit the nail on the head. It definitely looks like it was cleanly cut off. I didn't notice that the "border" along the top appears to be missing. If that's it, it looks like it probably came from the factory that way.

jimash likes this.
  16. bigcatsrule

bigcatsrule TDPRI Member

Not real comfortable pulling the speaker out as it still belongs to a friend. The grill is not removable. I'll post a pick if I decide to purchase it. I haven't even asked him how much he wants for it yet.

17. bigcatsrule

bigcatsrule TDPRI Member

Hey guys, If it is a 417 is there a way of telling which variant it may be? C, 8H etc.? Or does this being an 8 ohm speaker dictate that?

18. powerwagonjohn

powerwagonjohn Tele-Meister

I don't remember any of the 417 variants with a cloth surround but I may be wrong or it could been re-coned at some point. And it is missing part of the label. The Altecs are great speakers. I have the 15" versions in my Pro and my Ampeg Gemini and a couple 12" in a cab for my 64 Tremolux.
    Thanks John

19. bigcatsrule

bigcatsrule TDPRI Member

Thanks John, When you say missing part of the label does that mean that the original label was 2 or more pieces. I saw a picture of another one with the same label this afternoon. I'm curious if that is not uncommon.

20. bigcatsrule

bigcatsrule TDPRI Member

Thanks all. I contacted the good folks at Great Plains Audio (Thanks Wally!) and they quickly identified it as a 417-8C. I consider the issue resolved at this point and I've now purchased the cab from my friend. I'm a happy camper. :)

Wally and Paul in Colorado like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.