Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Help identifying pickups

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by kilbey, Nov 8, 2017.

1. kilbey

kilbey TDPRI Member

Jul 25, 2011
    North Carolina
    Hello all-
    I took these grey fiber bobbin pickups out of an older Fernandes strat once. They didn’t strike me as special then, apart from their vintage construction.

I recently eschewed some dimarzio areas, trying to get a better full tone with a sweeter and less harsh treble.

I now have a generic Alnico in the bridge, but the grey pickups in the middle and neck positions. They are much more mellow and soft, but in a good way. They seem to match my Hot Rod Deluxe ii well.

Does anyone know if they are Fernandes pickups? Are they likely to be Alnico ii?

Thanks in advance—
    Brian

IMG_3512.JPG IMG_9608.JPG

2. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Shiny stainless steel looking. Probably. Not sure mag type

3. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    The magnets are alnico. I'm not sure but they may be stock.

4. DougM

DougM Tele-Meister

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    all the Fernandes Strats (Japanese LE2s from the 90's and early 2000's) I've had were ceramics, but these could be from an older one. The ceramics were by far the best sounding ceramics I've heard, except maybe the 90's era Japanese 60's style Strats (like the foto-flame). I think those were ceramics, too.

5. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2017
    Port Arthur TX
    Kinda of remind me of my old Tokai pups.

kilbey likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.