Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Help identifying original colour on '60 refin

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Rooster16, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Rooster16

Rooster16 TDPRI Member

Aug 28, 2017
    Canada
    So, I fell into a bit of a project. Picked up this '60 tele from an old friend of the family and I'm trying to figure out what the original colour is. Back story - it was willed to him from his best friend who passed in the early 80's - an old pro player. It was likely refinished down to natural in the 70's and a humbucker thrown in the neck like seems to have happened to so many of these guitars. Plays and sounds great with a beautiful, super quick slab board neck (with a gorgeous, subtle flame). I doubt I'll ever go through the grief of rebuilding the body to put a single coil back in the neck, (the rout on it was terrible) but I may get it refinished and get it as close to period correct as I can. I'm a bit torn on which way to go with it - I love the classic blonde, but at the same time I'm almost tempted to restore it to the factory colour just as a nod to the guitars past. See the pic from the neck cavity - it looks like a gold sparkle but the only thing close I've ever seen from those years is the Shoreline Gold which I don't think this is (but I could be wrong). If someone more in the know who's seen this colour before could chime in I'd appreciate it! Btw - when I picked it up from the seller he pulled a box out with pretty much all the original parts (except the neck pup). Great score!

Attached Files:

63telemaster likes this.

2. 63telemaster

63telemaster Tele-Meister

Jul 29, 2013
    UK
    The original colour would have been blonde.

The gold colour seen in the neck pocket is not original as there is no "paddle" mark.

The other giveaway is the pickguard. Fender used 3 ply celluloid guards for custom colours and sunbursts at this time. The standard blonde finish was given a white single ply pickguard. Incidently this was different material to the 50's whiteguards and was slightly thicker with beveling on some of the edges. They tend to lose some of their whiteness over the years whereas the 50's whiteguards retain much of that new white look.

Nice tele btw! Personally I'd keep it the way it is.

Wally and Rooster16 like this.

3. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

The consensus on other similar threads seemed to be that if a guitar was refinished back in the old days that it's worth more "as-is" than trying to strip and refinish back to some original factory color today. If intent on an old factory color, you could do like replacing any other parts; get a new body painted up the way you want and swap everything over, keeping the old body with the other old parts you/they removed. Of course that leads to temptation: "if I just get a neck for this old body and parts I can play that one too!"

I would +1 that it looks great as-is. Do a setup and play it :)

4. dustoff

dustoff Tele-Meister

May 23, 2005
    Glenview Illinois
    That looks great. I would just play it as is.

5. Rooster16

Rooster16 TDPRI Member

Aug 28, 2017
    Canada
    Thanks so much for the replies all! Appreciate the info - it didn't occur to me it could've been refinished twice but that would make sense.

6. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Low Lands
    As said: The wood is ash so the original color is blond. Please don't "restore" it!

Rooster16 likes this.

7. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Yep 1960 (and everything else looks right, capped neck, body shape, clay dots. Ash, blonde or Natural which was super-rare until 70s. Be interesting to see in the body routs. I agree - it's finish is part of it's history like the neck mini. It's got less value to a collector ( still worth a chunk of change) so play it and love it. That's the sort of guitar I'd buy.

8. Rooster16

Rooster16 TDPRI Member

Aug 28, 2017
    Canada
    That was something else that was throwing me for a loop - the consensus is that alder was used with solid colours and this was obviously ash. Another hint I should've taken!

9. Rooster16

Rooster16 TDPRI Member

Aug 28, 2017
    Canada
    Yeah it's a pretty cool old bird for sure. I'm going to throw the original parts back on it. The only concern I have is that the bushings for tuners are the same size as the original Klusons or I may need to get a bit deeper into it. IMG_7258.JPG As I mentioned I think I have everything except the neck pup - even the ashtray cover was there. I've opened it up a bit, but not under the bridge plate yet. The electronics have been modded (I've got the original pots but my knowledge about the wiring and caps doesn't allow me to grasp the degree of rewiring). Obviously the pup selector isn't original either (I don't think I have original of that one either actually). But just check out the hack job on the neck pup install. Ouch.

Attached Files:

10. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    virginia
    that thing looks killer- I'd keep it as is

Rooster16 likes this.

11. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Pots would have been 250k, and originally it would have had the old wiring scheme of bridge, neck by itself and neck through a cap to make it bassier. You wouldn't want that with the neck bucker. Probably 500k volume pot at least.b

12. Rooster16

Rooster16 TDPRI Member

Aug 28, 2017
    Canada
    Thanks - these are likely the original pots I think?

Attached Files:

13. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Holic Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 17, 2008
    omaha
    pretty guitar!!

Rooster16 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.