Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Help Identifying a '52 Reissue before I get work done on it!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by mingus2112, May 2, 2018.

1. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Afflicted

Nov 25, 2011
    Perth Australia
    Yes, I agree.....I was considering changing out mine until I installed a 4-way switch and Grease Bucket controls. Sounds awesome now.

2. mingus2112

mingus2112 TDPRI Member

Apr 30, 2018
    NJ
    No decal - which is why i'm leaning towards the theory that it's a 91 with a neck that was replaced under warranty. Broken truss rod, something like that.

It's DEFINITELY my OCD. I actually tried loosening the screws but, once they're tightened, it pulls it right back like that. I'm assuming this is as common as it is because of this. It's my understanding that the holes are drilled and screwed in place and, even if they align it perfectly, that second screw hole has to be spot-on to align.

I know - it's one of the reasons this is my new go to guitar. I played it last night for a couple hours at a party and the pickups just sing through everything! I had to cut through some other guitarists, but i'm NEVER the guy (anymore) who turns up louder. A little creative EQ to cut through the mix was all it took and this guitar took it like a champ!

Hopefully my new saddles arrive today so I can get it intonating a little better. I got it to be pretty close, actually, but playing octaves around the 12th fret really exposes that weak spot. Other than that, i'm not sure i've owned a better playing guitar...and I own a LOT of guitars!

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'm still on the fence about the bridge, but i'll see if it grows on me!

-James

3. mingus2112

mingus2112 TDPRI Member

Apr 30, 2018
    NJ
    With the risk of feeling dirty (and getting the flack from "why did you get a '52 reissue if you wanted modern controls?"), tell me more about this? I'm letting the dark neck position grow on me...it sounds cool, but it's not practical for anything I do...but I find i'm really missing the Neck/Bridge combo if we've got some interference and I need to "buck the hum" a little. I know the 4 way is Neck/Bridge in parallel and then Neck/Bridge in series, right? So what are the "Grease Bucket" controls?

-James

4. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Holic

I changed my '52 RI to modern wiring.

"The fender web site describes it as a tone circuit 'rolling off the highs without adding bass'.

5. Hawk8789

Hawk8789 TDPRI Member

Apr 11, 2013
    Las Vegas, Nv
    That bridge is exactly where it’s supposed to be. If I was looking to buy one that didn’t have that route exposed, I would walk away thinking it’s a fake.

AlbertaGriff likes this.

6. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    Mine AVRI has a 91 neck date.

It looks the same in Bridge area.

7. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    If you align it to cover the bass-E buttcrack it will misalign it. My 69 RI has it both sides.

Why did Leo & Forrest et al. let them be built like that? Because the ashtray covers it, which is how they intended it to be played.

That body is machined by CNC and drilled too. Hence, it is perfect. That's why the later US six-barrel bridge has has a wide flat plate to cover it.

If your strings run over your polepieces and don't fall off either side of the fretboard, don't screw with it.

MitchMiami and tap4154 like this.

8. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    Good point about the ashtray......

MitchMiami likes this.

9. mingus2112

mingus2112 TDPRI Member

Apr 30, 2018
    NJ
    Yep - not going to align it to cover the crack. My guy took a look on it and, as the strings get closer to the end of the fingerboard, there's more room on one side than the other. While he's setting it up for me, he'll check the neck angle and the string holes underneath and do what's best for playability and accuracy. If that straightens it out, so be it. If not, it'll play perfectly no matter what.

-James

10. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    IIRC the '52 RI came with an extra parts kit to convert it to modern wiring. Still that way?

11. ecosse

ecosse Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2011
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Totally normal on all teles I’ve owned.

Though I would fix the hole for the control plate that looks botched.

12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Looks to me, in the first row of images, the one of the far right, that the bridge rotated when the installer put the rightmost screw on first (probably by machine) and the whole thing shifted ever so slightly.

But now, your tech will reinstall the plate by hand and get the alignment perfect. It may reduce the bass side Butt Crack a small amount and it may open up some Butt Crack on the treble side, where there had been none.

13. mingus2112

mingus2112 TDPRI Member

Apr 30, 2018
    NJ
    Exactly the case. He ended up aligning it so that the strings are centered on the fingerboard and everything is magically aligned on the pickguard. I believe you are right in how it shifted during installation. VERY minimal cost as my guy does excellent work and is very reasonably priced. Worth the price of admission so I don't obsess over it and just enjoy playing it. I'm picking it up Friday, so i'll post some photos then. It's going to be one hell of a player!

-James

14. Telemanic49

Telemanic49 TDPRI Member

Jul 27, 2016
    UK
    Hi James,

What a stunning guitar! It looks like the serial number of your guitar begins 16xxx - that seems right for a 1991 guitar (my old '88 began 10xxx). I would expect a 1996 guitar to have a much higher serial number. I currently have a 2012 Pure Vintage 58 which arrived with both the bridge and control plate badly out of alignment (why Fender? Why?!) The guitar played great and sounded awesome, but it drove me nuts and I had to get them 'fixed'.

15. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2007
    Exeter, England
    The 'butt crack' is quite normal, and if you look you'll see that the edge of the control plate and the bridge aren't exactly parallel. This is also quite normal.

16. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2007
    Exeter, England
    Many Fenders I see have strings which are slightly further from the edge of the fretboard on the bass side. This makes sense, given that less string tension means more excursion when played, thus there's less chance of the bottom E slipping off the edge.

17. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 26, 2011
    Kent, UK
    My blonde Baja - a lightweight resonant beauty - has a butt crack and misaligned bridge. It bugged me and I even posted here about it.
    Once I played it a while I kinda forgot about both issues. I expect it still has the cracks/alignment thing going on but I've stopped looking, even tho it gets played most days.

18. guitartwonk

guitartwonk TDPRI Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Swindon UK
    Glad you got this resolved in the end - enjoy!

19. mingus2112

mingus2112 TDPRI Member

Apr 30, 2018
    NJ
    Thanks - perhaps the control plate is next, but the first order of business it to pick it up tomorrow and play the hell out of it for awhile. Love the sound, love the feel. It's just such a cozy guitar to play! I'm much more excited about wearing in the Callaham compensated saddles. They're a bit too polished to blend in with the guitar. Hopefully they'l oxidize quickly! ;)

-James

20. mingus2112

mingus2112 TDPRI Member

Apr 30, 2018
    NJ
    Picked it up on Friday and it's all done! Control plate is still a little slanted, but without replacing the pickguard (or ruining it), that's going to have to stay that way. The bridge is perfect, though. On top of his usual setup fee he only charged me $20 to do the work, so I think it's money well spent. Twenty dollars for my sanity? Yes please!

IMG_20180519_174846.jpg

boris bubbanov and hrstrat57 like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.