Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Help identify mystery pickups, i just picked up a 96 Jimmy Vaughan Strat with some mystery parts

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Seamus Weeden, Jul 18, 2017.

1. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

MIM body (crop circle)
    MIM/MIA typical CTS pots and CRL switch
    MIM bridge pickup
    Squier middle pickup
    Can't see the neck pickup

General solder slinger activity in there.

They went to the trouble to shield the cavity but left the unshielded wires to the jack. Change that and you'll cut the guitar's idle noise level some more.

Look up the Dan Armstrong Blender Mod -- my favorite change to Strats; no new parts, changes the second tone pot into a blender to go from SSS to thicken all the way to HSH and easy to remember what the switching is at a gig.

You should be alright for a player. I'd clean it good, that crusty stuff on the back of the pickguard...

2. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Holic

Mar 11, 2008
    Timonium,Maryland
    And go ahead and put a set of Tex Mex in there.
    A lot of people will shoot me down for this,but they belong in that guitar.

Fiesta Red, hrstrat57 and Hammerdog like this.

3. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Holic

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    I'd scrap that mess and buy a nice pull pickguard with Texas Specials or Tex mex....clean and

Fiesta Red likes this.

4. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    I'm not going to be one of those people. I recently got a 1996 Tex-Mex Strat, and those are good pickups, especially if you follow the advice of some on this forum, such as @tap4154 , who suggests flushing the poles. I don't like the bridge pickup much, but it does offer nice quack when combined with the middle pickup in the 2nd position. Lower those pickups way down and ease them up just a bit. But they sound good low, and they're very cheap.

Did Fender start making the Jimmie Vaughan signature Strat in 1996? I thought it was 1997. Otherwise, it's a Tex-Mex Strat.

brbadg likes this.

5. john kleeman

john kleeman Tele-Holic

Jun 16, 2010
    Portland, Or.
    Centaur Guitar in Portland has a set of Tex Mex used. No affiliation.

Nevada_Bob likes this.

6. tatittle

tatittle Tele-Meister

Jun 27, 2010
    North NJ
    They are ceramic magnet pickups. Those are generally the cheapest single coils that show up in cheapest guitars. Sometimes they sound fine/good though.

I suspect he took the originals out to keep and replaced them with those...or the guy before him (owner) did. I think JV came with alnico magnet pups but not sure. Mind you, there are expensive pups and pros that choose to use ceramic magnet pups, usually humbuckers though. Better pickups wont turn off rhythm pentatonic noodling into Walter Becker licks either...a good player can make any pickups sound good :) So don't fret it if your stuck with those for awhile, they will be fine.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017

7. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Yes, I believe the JV comes with the Tex-Mex pickups, which are built with AlNiCo 5 magnets.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.