Help ID ‘52 Reissue & Truss rod issue

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by teletalker, Dec 10, 2018.

1. teletalker

teletalker TDPRI Member

F09BFD2A-2708-4F1E-8E45-A7A00844501E.jpeg F09BFD2A-2708-4F1E-8E45-A7A00844501E.jpeg DE987DE6-9B86-403D-93C8-9C0B85988E5F.jpeg 27B035E9-5038-452B-B428-BE1CCCD63595.jpeg F3B4C5EC-7050-4FDC-956B-88BC8F11DB73.jpeg Hello all. Just got my first American Telecaster, a 52 reissue apparently from the mid to late nineties, but I’d like to zero in on the year as much as possible. Pictires attached.

Regarding the truss rod, the relief in the neck is bordering on the severe. It’s not warped, just lots of relief. Removing the neck to adjust the truss rod, it’s extremely difficult to tighten. I used a good sized Phillips head screwdriver, substantial, but still extremely difficult to tighten though I did get about 3/16 of a turn. Loosening happened more easily so the rod is not completely frozen.

Tricks appreciated.

2. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Holic

Trick #1: E-mail the serial number to Fender Consumer Relations and ask what year it was made... unless you can read what those pencil marks on the end of the neck say, because I can't.

3. teletalker

teletalker TDPRI Member

Serial being the five digits stamped on the bridge plate I presume? Since no numbers appear on the headstock or neck plate?

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  4. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Holic

Yep, thats the one. And in your e-mail specify that it's an older '52 AVRI. The serial lookup online doesn't do well with these numbers, but I was able to get month and year of build for my Tele this way. Good luck.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  5. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

Well I can read Jan 86 or 96 on the paper label on the neck.

Back off the truss rod a bit. You can then bend the neck gently over your knee if you grab the neck around the 3rd and 15th frets.That has always worked for me to help the truss rod along. Don't go at it like a bull at a gate but Fender maple necks are strong.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    boris bubbanov and Stubee like this.
  6. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Holic

Fender won't have records on anything previous to '93.

7. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Meister

Well, this jig is overkill and over priced for what you need, but the idea is a sound one. A jig will let you dial in the neck more precisely than trying to bend it by hand while adjusting the truss nut - which really would have to be a 2 person job.

Pressure to remove some of the relief is made externally with the jig. This way the work is not being done by the threads = less chance of snapping the truss rod or stripping the threads.

And if the nut still won’t tighten even after the neck has been pre-un-relieved then you know you either have maxed out the threads or have some other thread binding issue.

https://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Too...ar_Building_and_Repair/Erlewine_Neck_Jig.html

8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I'd guess this is an '86 and not a '96. The 2d and 3rd characters differ too much for them both to be 9s.

9. teletalker

teletalker TDPRI Member

Update, played a ‘97 52 Reissue in my local shop the other day. Neck profile was markedly different- more V shaped- and the color was similarly distinct. Making me again think this is an 80s and not a 90s. Damn is it in great shape.

Emailing Fender now.

10. Rockbreaker

Rockbreaker Tele-Holic

Wow! now that's a jig!

11. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Check the pots and switch for date codes, as mentioned here:

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/clone-52-reissue.906211/

If everything is original then it should help to at least put you in the ballpark of when it was made.

As for the truss rod, I found this video which might help:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  12. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

the neck butt pics are upside down.. looks like a '97 on the neck date.. 11/7/97...

the sticker looks 96.... so maybe it was put together over new year 96/97 maybe?....

or maybe it's a 98 on the sticker?... @NY 97/98 it might be..... depends who last dated it before assembly... :)

Crobbins likes this.
  13. teletalker

teletalker TDPRI Member

Thanks all! Great resources.

Waiting on reply from Fender. May have to try again tomorrow as it could have been lost in the holiday weekend shuffle.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.