Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

HELP! - I just did something REALLY stupid!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by scrimmer, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    My Squire VM Tele is a true beater now, enlarged pickup routes via chisel, big soldering iron burn on the upper bout, my 15 year old squire affinity strat has had better treatment over the years. This is why I think I'll never let myself have an expensive and new guitar.

Good luck with your repair I'm sure your luthier will sort it out.

hellopike likes this.

2. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    If your guy is good he will be able to level the glue drip and polish it so it will be invisible

JustABluesGuy and awasson like this.

3. SonsOfMoog

SonsOfMoog Tele-Meister

Jul 22, 2017
    US
    Switch stuck in the neck position? Sounds like Fate wants you to learn jazz.
    1518573634833.jpg

AAT65 and scrimmer like this.

4. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Hey.

We're all sending our best issues to get this fixed, despite the goofing you're getting for using SuperGlue on a switch tip.

I can guarantee you that dozens of members here have done worse, but just never admitted it.

Them, of course. Not me.

JustABluesGuy, scrimmer and LowThudd like this.

5. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan

6. scrimmer

scrimmer Tele-Holic

Dec 31, 2009
    North Carolina
    I got to admit that it's about the dumbest thing I've ever done in my life.

...except for the time in my 20s when my brother, 2 friends and I got busted for climbing over
    the fence and trespassing at the Meteor Crater outside of Winslow, AZ.
    Cost me a LOT of MONEY and really screwed up an otherwise fantastic trip.
    I mean, who freaking knew somebody could actually own a crater out in the middle of nowhere,
    have a fence around it, charge admission and have opening and closing times!

Hell, we drove all that way and we were determined to see the thing!

But I digress...

7. slinger

slinger Friend of Leo's

Mar 7, 2013
    wild west

8. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    ^ ^ ^ This right here.

9. philosofriend

philosofriend Tele-Holic

Oct 28, 2015
    Kalamazoo
    You need to know if your finish is old fashioned nitro lacquer or a modern catalyzed poly finish. If it is nitro, acetone or lacquer thinner will instantly make the ugliest marks on the finish you have ever seen. If the finish is poly, all that acetone or lacquer thinner will do is clean the surface.

If you take off a pickguard or neck screw plate and touch one drop of acetone on the finish with a q-tip it will either mar the finish or it won't. If it doesn't put a permanent mark on the finish you are in luck and you can remove the superglue from your finish with patience, a rag, and acetone. Don't do this near any source of spark or flame as lacquer thinners are extremely flammable, as well as bad to breathe.

Superglue is brittle and parts accidentally glued together can usually be cracked free with a little intelligent use of force and/or tapping.

trouserpress likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.