Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

HELP! - I just did something REALLY stupid!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by scrimmer, Feb 13, 2018.

1. scrimmer

scrimmer Tele-Holic

Dec 31, 2009
    North Carolina
    Like an idiot, I wasn't wearing my glasses for close up work, and didn't realize the overage of super glue I applied to the loose top hat switch that needed to be attached to my control switch.
    I just got super glue on my control plate, I think some may have dripped down under the plate, and I've got a bit on the finish of my new 64 AV Tele. Scared to touch it just yet, would like some advice, and may just take it to my tech instead of making a bigger mess. Just checked before finishing this and now my switch is glued in the neck position. I"M A FREAKING DUMBA**!!!
    Any advice would be most welcome. Thanks.

stax likes this.

2. spenno

spenno Tele-Meister

Sep 23, 2009
    England
    I was a dumbass too with my LPB 64... I put a few drops of superglue on the switch before realising I wouldn’t be able to get the control plate off (even though I hadn’t needed to for 15 years). It bugged me for days until I took some pliers to it and after a minute I prised it off (quite mangled so bought the twin pack replacement). No biggies apart from the bit you’ve got on the finish.... yeah. :/

Poorman512 likes this.

3. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    New switch...or take it out and soak it in acetone.
    As for the finish...I think all you can do is leave it alone.

Deeve and Smiff like this.

4. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    It adds character, stop worrying about it and it will stop being a problem. If it hasn't affected the switch, it isn't a problem....just personalized.

Mugs, Piggy Stu and Poorman512 like this.

5. ladave

ladave Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2017
    Los Angeles
    For the finish, check out this video:

He uses super glue to repair chips. I have done this on a Poly finish Strat. Perhaps you can use some of the technique to remove excess and smooth it out. However with the very thin Nitro finish I would imagine it would be pretty easy to make things worse very quickly.

Poorman512 likes this.

6. scrimmer

scrimmer Tele-Holic

Dec 31, 2009
    North Carolina
    I can't freaking believe I just did that! I'm kicking myself.
    I'm freaking out about it, as I'm really anal when it comes to my equipment,
    and this is the first time I've ever done any real damage.
    Thanks guys, I just talked to my tech I go to that is absolutely stellar.
    He's not just a tech, but a damn fine luthier in these parts.
    I'm just gonna take his advice and take it in to him tomorrow, thanks.

7. trouserpress

trouserpress Tele-Meister

May 4, 2015
    Leipzig
    Show us a picture. you might restore your finish with micromesh.

8. JL_LI

JL_LI Tele-Holic

May 20, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    For the switch, remove the control plate. Set it down on a small dish or something else that will contain fluids. An aluminum foil boat may do. Look for the drip. Wet the tip of a Q-tip with an acetone based nail polish remover. Hold the Q-tip to the spill for 30 seconds or so. You'll probably have to do this inside and outside of the control plate. Blot with a clean Q-tip after each application until the switch moves. Do a final cleaning of the residue with a Q-tip. There was a thread a week or so ago about removing Crazy Glue. Read it. If the drip won't come off with a flick from your finger nail, you may have to resort to solvent. The inside of the control cavity will have finish on it. Try some of the nail polish remover and see how it affects the finish. If it has no affect, touch a Q-tip only to the spill for a few seconds. Withdraw the Q-tip and let the solvent penetrate for 10 or 15 seconds more and try a finger nail. Repeat.

I don't guarantee success for the spill on the finish of you guitar. Acetone will dissolve cyanomethacrylate for sure so I'm certain it will solve your switch problem. Others may have better suggestions for saving the finish, but I think what I suggested may be OK if you test the inside of the control cavity before proceeding to the exposed finish.

9. beninma

beninma Tele-Holic

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    What caused you to want to glue the switch tip on? It was probably just time to buy a new switch tip if yours was worn & loose, but it shouldn't be wearing as it just gets pressed on and shouldn't have to ever be removed. If it's not being removed and replaced the plastic doesn't wear and it doesn't get loose.

Acetone is great at dissolving super glue but it dissolves most paint/finish really well too. You should generally always have it around anyway in case you have a super glue accident. Very helpful if you glue yourself to yourself, although surgical gloves are a really great thing to wear when using super glue/cryanoacrylate. If you glue your fingers together with nitrile gloves on you just wait till the glue sets and then pull your fingers apart, the gloves rip and capture all the glue. Big time saver vs dousing yourself with acetone.

10. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    For future reference, I just use some paper as a spacer on the switch tip. It tightens it up, and is completely removable. Just put a small amount of paper over the switch, and press on the tip.

hellopike likes this.

11. scrimmer

scrimmer Tele-Holic

Dec 31, 2009
    North Carolina
    Although I'm sure it's all good advice guys, and I trust the guidance that this forum provides,
    but I'm afraid I'll just screw things up even worse trying to remedy this,
    so I'm taking in to my guy tomorrow who I know for fact will do a better job at it than I.
    Thanks again.

12. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    When I read "working without glasses" I thought that you'd gotten some in your eye . . .

Mugs, jaybones and Nightclub Dwight like this.

13. Smiff

Smiff Tele-Meister

Oct 1, 2017
    UK
    Acetone will hopefully free up the switch for you. To be honest most superglue I come across is brittle on none porous surfaces like your switch; you could probably work it free by using the switch harder than usual.

Acetone or pick/shave it off the control plate.

No idea about it dripping on the finish. Could maybe carefully try and shave it off or leave it. You’d be able to sand it and stuff on Poly, not so sure about on your Lacquer though.

14. Crobbins

Crobbins Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Meiners Oaks CA.
    Boy, you in a heap of trouble.

[​IMG]

scrimmer likes this.

15. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Oy vey.

There are many ways to get a loose tip to hold, and Super Glue is the worst of them.

We live and learn. You'll get it all ironed out.

scrimmer and hellopike like this.

16. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Even at the point you're at right now, I would not be able to resist yanking the switch back into the bridge position and - I bet it would go and I bet nothing's damaged electrically.

Loose switch tip ? Blue tape on the blade end. However much you need, usually just a tiny piece.

See ? Disadvantage of an expensive Tele. If any of what you described happened to an MIM guitar, you'd yawn, go watch tv and fix it later - yourself.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    scrimmer and Smiff like this.

17. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    C'mon...now that you've outed yourself, post a pic of the spot on the finish.

AAT65 likes this.

18. Recce

Recce Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 3, 2016
    Northern Alabama
    Don't do that. Your welcome.

Deeve likes this.

19. scrimmer

scrimmer Tele-Holic

Dec 31, 2009
    North Carolina
    No. I'm too damned ashamed of myself...:(

it's bad

20. jimbo735

jimbo735 Tele-Holic

Sep 19, 2011
    michigan
    Thats ok a girl at work was trying to fix her glasses with super glue while sitting in her car and the glue wouldn't come out when she squeezed it so she squeezed harder,WELL!
    she didn't fix her glasses but she was able to glue her slacks to her leg.Classic!
    You made the right decision to take it in.:)

scrimmer and nojazzhere like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.