Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Help getting a new amp for HB and single coils

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by tce63, Apr 15, 2018.

1. tce63

tce63 Tele-Holic

Jan 18, 2013
    Sweden
    Just got my first Gibson Lea Paul

The problem that has arisen now is that I probably need to buy a new amplifier to.

Has today only a Fender Blues Junior tweed that does not make the guitar fair. (or i can´t dial it in)

Also has a POD HD500x that sounds perfectly OK, but i have no active speakers at home, just use Headphones.

I will keep the Blues Jr for my Telecasters / Esquires, then it sounds good and i love that sound.

The best of course would be an amplifier that can handle both single coils and HB for home training.

Grateful for suggestions?

2. Rialto1564

Rialto1564 Tele-Meister

Jun 12, 2013
    Metro Detroit
    Perhaps you could say more about the style of music and type of sounds you like?

3. Trev14

Trev14 TDPRI Member

Jan 28, 2013
    California
    As said above, it depends on they style of music you're going for. A Marshall is going to pair with a Les Paul any day of the week, but it depends if thats what you're looking for sound wise.

troy2003 likes this.

4. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA

5. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Turn down the mids and maybe the bass on your blues junior. Turn the master up and the level down.

Jakedog likes this.

6. tce63

tce63 Tele-Holic

Jan 18, 2013
    Sweden
    I haven´t seen that before, Thanks will look in to that.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.

7. tce63

tce63 Tele-Holic

Jan 18, 2013
    Sweden
    Thanks, will try that tonigt.

8. tce63

tce63 Tele-Holic

Jan 18, 2013
    Sweden
    I play a lot of covers, and the Gibson will ( i think ) mainly be used to play like AC/DC / ZZ-top kind of sound.
    The Telecaster take care of the rest.

9. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    It's brand new. And the cool thing is that they look like guitar amps.

10. tce63

tce63 Tele-Holic

Jan 18, 2013
    Sweden
    I have read about it now, and it could be interesting, but expensive .

11. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Clean set up on your amp through a Plexi-Drive pedal would be good.

12. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

A Les Paul has a very different voice than a Telecaster. Even after you adjust the EQ and gain/volume levels
    on your amp, the two guitars will sound very different. That's the whole point of owning two different guitars!

If you play the LP all the time, then the Tele will sound really trebly and weak. If you play the Tele all the time,
    then the LP will sound too bassy and loud.

This is a real issue-- subjective perception. I have been playing humbucker guitars mostly,lately, because the
    other guitar player in my band uses a Stratocaster. Because I have been playing HBs all the time all of my
    single coil guitars sound really thin to my ears these days. Before, when I was always playing single coil
    guitars, my HB guitars sounded too muddy to my ears.

I agree that you should be able to adjust the Blues Jr. settings to get a good sound with your LP-- but don't
    expect it to sound anything like your Tele.

In general I would suggest that an amp that has a full tone stack-- bass, mids, and treble, maybe even
    presence (high treble)-- will be easier to optimize for both your LP and Tele. That said, I can make my
    Fender MusicMaster Bass amp with just a volume and tone knob work great for a LP or a Tele, but
    I don't expect them to sound the same at all-- I just want them to sound like they're supposed to sound.

13. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    You should be able to get a decent LP sound out of that rig; as Chris mentioned they will not sound the same, nor should they. Before you do anything try turning the guitar volume down a bit, that may thin the sound out a bit and take way some of the thump you may be experiencing.

Try this also.. Make sure the FAT switch is off..

Can you run the Line 6 into the Fender? Im not familiar with that Mult FX, but most of the ones I have used have some ability to run a line out, in this case you want to turn off any cab simulation/ modeling and start W/the Fender as clean and flat as possible (you are basically using it as a small PA) try some different thing paying special attention to your EQ settings, or simply just use it to shape your Eq..

You have a lot of possibilities.. many more than an original LP owner had in the 50's,( a mid control was rare then..master volume non existent), a new amp w/ a new guitar is fun, but rarely a necessity.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    MilwMark likes this.

14. tce63

tce63 Tele-Holic

Jan 18, 2013
    Sweden
    Thanks for your inputs, i have tonight run the POD infront of the Blues Jr just as a pedalboard (dist and EQ), and it worked out really nice.
    Tomorrow i will pickup my LD Maui 11 and try that with the POD, i think it going workout just fine.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.