Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Help finding the right studio amp/small gig amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Jonblair15, Jun 9, 2018.

1. gregjhonda

gregjhonda TDPRI Member

Oct 9, 2009
    Corry, PA
  2. Mr Ridesglide

Mr Ridesglide Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Dec 11, 2009
    Bloomington, MN
    I put together a BF like AA1164 for a friend in Milwaukee last year; very few small "enhancements". I did in fact use a 12" Emi speaker for this amp, and he is loving it - It does get some bass, but like Mutato mentioned - not like a larger amp, especially one with two speakers -
    Before the amp was delivered, I tried to give a good workout for a week and I was extremely happy with THE Fender sound from the cleans, and I enjoyed the breakup sounds from the cathodyne phase inverter, albeit not a favorite of some as I don't think it slams the power tubes the same way as a long tailed PI.

3. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    for my big band I use a DRRI at most gigs (unless the stage is very small). I rarely play it at home, we've been working so much that I leave it with its cover on and play one of the other amps I have set up, for practice and jamming etc.

I'd get a loud little amp, something one of these other people here have recommended, and keep your DRRI for gigs.

4. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    22 years old and his DR is too heavy!
    o_O

Art VanDelay likes this.
  5. markal

markal Tele-Holic

Mar 24, 2016
    Colorado
    I’ve heard a few demos of Quilters that piqued my interest but not that one! That sounds abysmal! Might just be a bad recording.

6. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Tele-Afflicted

Apr 5, 2010
    Evergreen, CO
    +1 - I’d get a neodymium speaker for your DRRI.

7. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    It's a pretty accurate demo of how the amp sounds in a small room, FWIW. I really like the sound. Plus, 22lbs, 2 channels, 100 watts. He has the reverb cranked up pretty high in the demo though. The reverb is... not great. It definitely won't hold a candle to the verb in a Princeton or Deluxe Reverb.

8. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Holic

May 20, 2018
    Arcata
    Anode100 likes this.
  9. markal

markal Tele-Holic

Mar 24, 2016
    Colorado
    Yeah, I wondered if my dislike was from the high reverb setting making it sound very muddy. I heard a Quilter combo (not sure which model) at a blues jam and it sound great. I’ve never tried one though.

10. holgaguy

holgaguy Tele-Afflicted

Apr 23, 2003
    Massachusetts
    I have a 68 Custom Princeton and breaks up really early. If you want cleans tones at gig volumes, this might not be the amp for you.

11. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    prin1.jpg prin2.jpg

The bourgouis..or bordeaux..gives me loads of clean with bass on tap.

SolidSteak likes this.
  12. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    Another thing I just noticed about that demo is that he has the hi-cut knob turned all the way up, the bass and mids turned up and treble down a bit. I've found that the louder the amp is, the more I cut the bass and use less hi-cut.

13. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    If you find your DR “perfect”, and you’re a “squeaky clean guy”, but the DR seems too heavy, the answer is obvious.

just get a cheap old SFTR.

Your cleans will kill, and your DR will seem suddenly much lighter.

SolidSteak likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.