Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Help find bridge/saddle for Squier VM Thinline 72`Tele

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by vjhn, Jul 22, 2017.

1. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    I for one would find it a lot of fun to buy a Lake Placid Blue Classic Vibe Telecaster or a Racing Green Vintage Modified model with a nice hot P90 in the neck (just checked: doesn't exist). Or a Seafoam Green '72 Thinline. I think I'm a reasonable guy ;).
    But... they just don't exist.... :cry:

vjhn likes this.

2. 68Telebass

68Telebass Tele-Afflicted

Aug 2, 2014
    Northern Arizona
    Don't forget Daphne Blue mustang "pawnshop" bass with dual bass Wide Ranging Humbuckers, oh, and that cool "rally stripe" in Olympic White...
    I'm waiting for that to happen.
    I "need" a shortscale bass. Haha.

vjhn and nicod98 like this.

3. CrazyJack

CrazyJack NEW MEMBER!

Nov 3, 2016
    Ramsgate, Kent, UK
    Hi vjhn - I don't know whether you still have the Squier 72 Vintage Modified Thinline or not but I was wondering how you got on with it? I've recently bought the same (sunburst) and I love this guitar - the chambered body and maple neck make it sound great. The only issue I have is with the bridge, which is exactly as you describe in the original post - the saddles are slightly off-centre and each one pushes the next further out of whack, so the final B and E-string saddles are a few mm off-centre (from the string centre-line). This causes two problems: 1) Because the (B and E) saddles are lifted off the baseplate on one side (by the sideways pressure from the preceding saddle) one of the two grub screws on each of these saddles is left "dangling" in mid air (when the saddles are set to the correct height for the required action/intonation)...and thsi causes a buzzing all the way up the fretboard! 2) If you turn the grub screws even one whole turn to stop them rattling, this , of course, lifts the saddle higher than it should be, so you lose the nice even radiused curve of the saddles.. hence uneven picking.. and intonation issues. From examining the saddles under a magnifying glass, it looks like the saddle retaining screws are not drilled/threaded into the saddles perfectly straight - some have an angle of about 7-10 degrees off-centre! I'm not sure whether this was a by-design feature (and I have put the saddles back after re-stringing/cleaning) in the wrong order.. or they are just badly drilled. Any ideas? How did you get on with yours? After a lot of fine adjustment, I'm thinking of scrapping the bridge and sourcing a new part - which is a great shame for what is otherwise a superb guitar! Thanks, if you have any ideas on this. Regards.

4. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Holic

Mar 16, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    My 72 VM was one of the ones that had the string saddles issue, the high E was skewed no matter what I did. A Gotoh GTC101/102 is a direct drop in fit. I went with the 102 to have steel instead of brass saddles as per the original bent steel.I prefer block saddles over bent steel anyway.

The guitar is fantastic, I upgraded the electronics and was looking at Telenator pickups but I was happy with them stock, which says a lot as I love to upgrade pickups. That said, I haven't heard original WRHB since the early 90's when our rhythm guitarist had an original Tele Custom.

I eventually used the bridge plate with Guitar Fetish saddles on my modded Harley-Benton TE-80 as the stock bridge was pretty nasty. In retrospect I probably could have just changed the saddles on the VM but got the Gotoh instead.

Congrats on your VM Thinline!

5. vjhn

vjhn TDPRI Member

Jul 16, 2017
    Norway
    Hi! Congrants on your new beauty! Yes, the thinline arrived with a 24.75 neck scale and saddles that were a bit too wide. I got a set of saddles that were a bit narrower, I belive they were ordered from Ebay, chinese parts. I think I found the link to the parts from another forum which op found saddles that worked alrigth. What was your solution?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018

6. nymtber

nymtber TDPRI Member

Dec 13, 2014
    New York - Upstate
    My VM '72 thinline had the saddles that were definitely too wide and thus both E string saddles were canted outwards. I bought the following string savers saddles which are correct width and work very well:

http://www.graphtech.com/products/b...hrome?id=5776ac64-6d70-4574-a225-308e118bf250

Also, they are more comfortable to rest your palm on, as the height screws sit flush...big deal for me! You can find them MUCH cheaper elsewhere, I think I paid $52 on amazon, but I forget...that was about 4 years ago! I recommend these string saver replacements, the chrome finish is a real good match to the factory bridge!

I had even sent pictures to Fender with a letter explaining everything, they failed to see the issue. It was plainly obvious there was an issue, they sent a bridge they took off a supposed R&D guitar, same exact problem so I sent it back. They were 0 help. I believe they corrected the problem not long after I got mine, but not really sure.

7. vjhn

vjhn TDPRI Member

Jul 16, 2017
    Norway
    What did they say?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.