Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Help Crate training new puppy

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by koolaide, May 15, 2017.

1. koolaide

koolaide Tele-Holic

Oct 11, 2009
    south carolina
    Hi all,

I don't post much in Bad Dog Cafe( and yes I get the irony) spend most of my time on the forum in the building area.

I need some help crate training my new 8 week old boxer pup.

Here is the back story:
    We have had dogs for over 40 years, boxers in fact. We have never crate trained a dog. 6 days ago we got a 7 week old little girl.

We have her in the kithcen with gates to limit mobility. She has her crate and chew toys. We feed her in the crate (door open).

The first night we stayed up with her and took her out every hour or two. She slept well, no whining, and no accidents.

The second night we put her in the crate closed the door and she went ballistic, whining, screaming and slamming into the crate. After about 10 min my soft heated sweet wife could take it no more, and we relented and let her out. (Big mistake I know).
    She then went ballistic and attempted to get out of her gated area. This time we did not give in, but did put her in the (large fenced yard.) early the next morning. She came in and has progressed a lot.

For the last 4 days and nights I have slept on a nearby couch. We have not attempted to lock her in the crate. However, she willingly goes in for most naps and sleeps in at night (door open) She has progressed regarding night time potty breaks and only needed one last night. Only two accidents over the 4 days and no accidents in 2 days/nights.

We would like to get her to kennel up for the night and for other times when needed.

What do you experienced with this recommend.

Thanks,
    Jim

Bendy Bendzalot likes this.

2. Boubou

Boubou Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jul 30, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    My only crate dog we had her in the bedroom for sleeping, that was fine. Dogs want to be with you. When we left for work she would howl. So I installed wheels on the crate to make it easier to move it. Bedroom god nighttime, front hallway for when we leave so she can see the door
    But basically my opinion is she wants to be with you, my first dog I screwed some eyelets on the baseboards and tied him there but he was always whining until I put him in the bedroom
    Good luck and post pics
    P. S.:
    You might lose a few nights sleep but with dogs it's consistency that counts so don't let her out of the crate

3. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta
    Crate training? That dog needs a deluxe reverb if he really wants to get a worthwhile tone.

(I am so sorry)

4. Bendy Bendzalot

Bendy Bendzalot TDPRI Member

May 6, 2017
    Denver
    Ive had dogs my whole life....never crate trained them...just hung out with them alot.
    But my dogs sleep in my bed....so

t guitar floyd and koolaide like this.

5. Darkness

Darkness Tele-Holic

Apr 7, 2016
    Stygian Gulf
    Like a previous poster said, dogs want to be with the pack. Bring crate into bedroom with you.

6. BritishBluesBoy

BritishBluesBoy Former Member

Oct 19, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    ^^this^^

Nickfl and koolaide like this.

7. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Holic

May 24, 2016
    Florida
    You have to let her get through the initial freak out/ tantrum, don't let her out and don't talk to her while it's happening. Even trying to verbally sooth her will encourage the behavior. You need to be firm with the wife too or you'll never be able to train the dog. My mom, for instance, has always been such a pushover that it undid any progress I ever made trying to train her dog.

I agree she'll probably do better if the crate is in your bedroom. We got our dog when she was 10 weeks and crate trained her from the first day, she only cried a little bit one night and did well after that, even though she always hated being put to bed. After about six months, once she was fully house broken, we let her start sleeping in our bed. She's three now and she's the best behaved dog I've ever had, which is partly just her personality, but the strict crate training early on certainly played a part. Stick it out and be consistent, with no encouragement or attention rewarded for bad behavior and it will be well worth it in the end.

8. Misty Mountain

Misty Mountain Tele-Meister

Sep 4, 2015
    Seattle

9. 11 week old Mini Aussie here.. she goes into her crate every night (in the same room as us) wakes us up maybe once a night or early in the morning for her business... other than that she is quiet through the night.. she still isn't a huge fan of the crate in the daytime.. but she only goes in once or twice for an hour or so both times...

Other than potty training, we could leave her out all together as she is such a good/smart girl... she just can't get the potty thing completely down. You just have to let them make the noises they need to make while in the crate, they will settle down.. repeating and keep consistent is the key. Had a lab puppy 3 years ago, they do get by it but almost never like to go in without a treat..

The Aussie goes in and out of it during the day so she doesn't hate her crate at all.

10. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2014
    down every road
    Start small, and gradually make the crate into the area you want the dog housebroken, and comfortable.

I agree, put the crate in your room. Gradually expand the "crate"area to maybe a bathroom, the adjacent hallway, then the area of the house where you want the dog to be comfortable.

Maybe I've just been lucky; but all my dogs have been housebroken, and stayed out of stuff for the most part.

It takes some patience with some dogs; and almost infinite patience with others. But it can be done, and is every day.

11. Ceasar Williams

Ceasar Williams NEW MEMBER!

Oct 4, 2017
    New York
    I feel your pain.
    It can be very difficult to get your dog to obey to something you know is not only good for you but also good for her.

Though your wife made a mistake in letting it out it's good that you have it doing well in other areas such as being aware of when to hold it or let it out : ).

I think the best thing to do is what you have mentioned.
    Teach it some kennel or crate training.

Be sure to take your time with training it as you are it looks like. The reason I say this is because dogs take time to retain information, especially when there are multiple techniques to learn.

What I found in just article is how it links to other articles I think may be up your alley of what you are looking to accomplish for your pet:

1. Crate training tips
    2. Dog obedience training tips
    3. And even some kennels article that you may or may not be interested in viewing. This part of the article "package" may not be as beautifully put together as the other articles but;
    I like it still because the author seems to have really did research in finding out what other verified sellers liked and disliked about the product.

I really hope this article helps you find what is right for your pockets but more importantly, right for your dog. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.