Help coolling the fire in my Laney Lc 15 R

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by ShadowChancer, Apr 3, 2013.

1. ShadowChancer

ShadowChancer Tele-Holic

Hi my Little 15w valve Laney is a giant killer which is marvelous , however in our "flat" its really overkill . So I require it tamed down to sensible home recording levels ie 1 to 2 watts . it has an effects loop and a fixed 12" 8 ohm speaker , I have read about power attenuators and saw a device to put in your loop to cool the volume , (wouldnt a simple "pot" do the same in the eff loop?) dont want to spend the earth and dont want to blow the ass off my Laney , help please .

2. Rumzdizzle

Rumzdizzle Tele-Meister

I did the same thing with my hot rod deluxe, I have a volume box which acts as a master volume (just a pot in a box with in/out). I can crank up the preamp and get some nice crunch in the clean channel without disturbing the people downstairs. I think it might be harsh on your tubes but I have been heavily using mine for a year now and have no issues.

3. ShadowChancer

ShadowChancer Tele-Holic

Cheers for that , I will give it a go today , if I post later with a pic of me with a blackened face and no eyebrows , you`ll know I made a boo boo LoL :lol: cheers again

4. ShadowChancer

ShadowChancer Tele-Holic

Eff loop usage is a negative

apparently Laney use a parallel loop not a series so the "pot in loop" plan wont work

5. Harleyjon

Harleyjon TDPRI Member

As your loudspeaker is 8R disconnect the positive wire on your loudspeaker. Connect a 10R 10Watt (or higher wattage) resistor across the disconnected wire and the negative feed. Connect a 100R 1Watt resistor between the positive wire (with the 10R on it) and the positive loudspeaker contact.
    There you now have a 15Watt amp producing around 1Watt to the speaker.
    This will enable full valve sound from the output stage without any damage and it won't upset your neighbours!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.