Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Help choosing neck pickup.

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by puddin, Jan 14, 2019.

1. puddin

puddin Tele-Meister

Apr 14, 2010
    Punta Gorda, florida
    hello, I've got a Duncan quarter pounder in the bridge, of my 72 custom. What standard size humbucker do you think, would pair well, in the neck position. I'm not picky, just need help deciding. Thank's

2. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

May 24, 2010
    Scotland
    Start your search with a Duncan. My choice would be a Seth Lover; I have one in a Tele and it sounds great, for what I want(50s style blues, Western Swing, 50s Country). Get something you can split, because....why not?

JMac52, Mincer and puddin like this.
  3. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Meister

Dec 19, 2017
    Tampa Bay Area
    Another vote for a Seth Lover. It seems to work very well with a QP in the bridge.

puddin likes this.
  4. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

+2 for the Seth Lover.

It does come with the 4 conductor option.

puddin likes this.
  5. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    SD '59 would be my suggestion as it pairs very well with just about every bridge pickup that I have tried.

Dismalhead and puddin like this.
  6. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Nov 11, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Zhangbucker makes some very low output humbuckers for a Tele. He ha a few ready to ship on his Specials page.

I use his pups in 2 standard Teles and a Strat, and I am very happy. The prices on the Specials page are lower, too, than his normal prices. Zhangbucker.com

puddin likes this.
  7. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    I'd go with a P90 or Firebird.

puddin likes this.
  8. DHart

DHart Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ USA
    If you want a neck humbucker that will still give you crisp, clean, sparkly highs and not be rounded off - as most humbuckers inherently are (compared to single coils) then go with either an SD Antiquity II Mini Humbucker (clean, clear, sparkly)

[​IMG]

Or a DImarzio PAF Master (also clean, clear, & sparkly)
    [​IMG]

If you want hum cancelling and retaining the traditional Tele neck pickup size, but with sparkly bright tones - the DiMarzio Area T never disappoints!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    lineboat and puddin like this.
  9. Jack Clayton

Jack Clayton Tele-Meister

Oct 1, 2017
    Phoenix, AZ
    If you can afford it, consider a Creamery wide range. They make them standard Humbucker size.

puddin likes this.
  10. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

Oct 12, 2010
    Kentucky, USA
    Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAF

puddin likes this.
  11. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    not sure if applicable in a tele but i really dig the SD Phatkat in the neck..had it in SG & LP and was so cool blended with the bridge and on its own..just was very versatile with its own vibe goin on

puddin likes this.
  12. puddin

puddin Tele-Meister

Apr 14, 2010
    Punta Gorda, florida
    In my post I mentioned, I'm not picky. I just wanted the experience, from a players view, on helping me decide, what would pair well, and if there was something, I'm missing. I'm actually selling the guitar, and wanted to make it special, to a buyer. Many thank's, for everyone's help.

13. Jack Clayton

Jack Clayton Tele-Meister

Oct 1, 2017
    Phoenix, AZ
    If you are trying to sell it, you might just be throwing money in a hole. In my experience you can buy a five hundred dollar guitar, spend three hundred fixing it up, and often only raise the resell value to six hundred or so.

kookaburra likes this.
  14. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Jun 18, 2016
    Patterson, NY
    I find the Seth Lover to be a terrific partner to a traditional Telly bridge pickup. To my ears it seems to marry well with 50s, 60s and Broadcaster type bridge pickup tones.

puddin likes this.
  15. puddin

puddin Tele-Meister

Apr 14, 2010
    Punta Gorda, florida

Your right. Thing is, I didn't buy the guitar. It was a gift. I'm only selling, to buy another telecaster. I have set of singles, and looking for a donor. I've decided to pull the quarter pounder. I just talked to Rob D. and bought a fat lion. It's only 60 bucks. I have a 57 classic neck humbucker that I'm going to use in the neck. I think this setup will work out, and be cost effective. cheers

kookaburra likes this.
  16. elelpe

elelpe Tele-Afflicted

May 1, 2008
    SEA
    +1

QP pairs well with Phat Cat.

bftfender likes this.
  17. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Sacramento, California
    I agree with the SD '59. My stock one crapped out on my old SG and I put a '59 in the neck - absolutely wonderful tone. Very warm. I'm gonna put one in the bridge too when I get around to it.

18. DHart

DHart Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ USA
    Yeah... I have a good few Teles, with quite a diversity of great pickups among them all and... I am NEVER disappointed when I hear the tones from Dimarzio Area-T neck or Area-T bridge... the heart of my Arctic White Standard. Dimarzio nailed it dead-on with their Area-Ts.
    [​IMG]

They sound totally Tele-awesome, look great, NO noise, and priced right! You won't go wrong with Area-T's.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019 at 11:42 PM
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.