Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Help choosing a new guitar strap

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Chud, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    That might lead to some undesirable cargo shrot bumching. :confused::D

2. Chud

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    Yeah, I love Levy's stuff. Most of my current straps are Levy's, but I'm not wild about their racing stripe ones, just a bit too gaudy. I'll take a look through their site and see if anything else pops up. Thanks!

3. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

May 18, 2006
    This one:

377915-824ffc7c34b0a6cdcd8631d300926624.jpg

Chud likes this.

4. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

May 18, 2006
    I'm frugal and cycle a single Levys between guitars. It sure is comfy.

Chud likes this.

5. Dean James

Dean James Tele-Meister

May 13, 2016
    Podunk, New England
    For what it's worth, here's a rule of thumb gained from many years working as a graphic artist: if you can't exactly match something, don't try to get "close enough."

Instead, go in a different direction. Complementary color, noticeably brighter or darker, different pattern, whatever. Let the two colors play off each other, if they can't match.

It sounds like you understand this already, but I just thought I'd bloviate a bit.

This rule of thumb also works on many issues other than color.

studio1087, Linc Gray and Chud like this.

6. Chud

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    Yeah, that one's growing on me too. I was kind of trying to stay away from another black strap though, even as cool as that one is. I also just went through all 28 pages of straps on Levy's website and none really grabbed me for this guitar. I also looked through Souldier's and JodiHead's sites and saw a few things that picqued my interest, but still looking around a bit. I take that back on Levy's actually. One of these two might be interesting, and inline with @Dean James recommendation of complementary rather than attempting to match.

DM2-WHT.jpg DM2-BLK.jpg

That white one with the black bolt isn't overly Herb Tarleky, but the black with the white bolt is pretty classic. Go greased lightnin', you're burnin' up the quarter mile...

I don't know though, one of these "Motor City" Red Monkey Designs might take first place.

RMGSMC_Motor_City__58195.1326942459.png

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    Linc Gray likes this.

7. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

The other alternative is more rustic .. The P90 guitar on the right has a strap made from the waistbands of two old jeans with a series of safety pins lashing them together plus creating strap locks as shown in the second image. Quite comfortable and easy to make, plus if it needs a cleaning just toss in the washing machine with the other jeans. I have a shorter copper pipe slide I clip on the strap with another long safety pin. The other straps here are Levy and misc.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Chud likes this.

8. Chud

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    Very cool reuse.

Here are a few more boutique-type straps I found interesting.

Gayle Winde Lightning Bolt strap

IMG_1144.JPG

IMG_1145.JPG

I also really like this Moody 6 Star strap

IMG_1147.JPG

9. Chud

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    So those RightOn Mojo Race straps are available in the US, and aren't crazy expensive. The teal might be a cool complementary color, much lighter blue.

IMG_1148.JPG

10. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

I stuck in that "color-coordinated" comment to try to stay with the topic, but my first impression was an STP logo patch. . . .

Chud likes this.

11. Chud

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    Yeah, I was kind of hoping I'd run across something like that initially, not necessarily brand sponsored but sort of that idea. I'm heading to the guitar show this weekend and will see if there's anything neat there.

12. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    Go on e-bay and search "guitar strap racing car", there's hundreds.

s-l64.jpg

13. AngelDeville

AngelDeville Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2007
    Albuquerque
    Maybe simple and comfortable is the way to go...

I have two of these Franklin straps.
    Got them under $30

[​IMG]

Chud likes this.

14. Chud

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    Yeah, technically there's zero that comes up with that search (at least on my search), but eBay does provide a bunch of racing-style stuff as a related result.

Screen Shot 2017-04-21 at 9.42.53 AM.png

One interesting thing that did pop up on that search was a black strap with both a white and a blue racing stripe...for $216....:eek::lol:

Screen Shot 2017-04-21 at 9.48.31 AM.png

Blue Bill likes this.

15. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    Carrie thinks you should choose a complementary color and pattern, but Miranda says you can't go wrong with plain brown leather.

The other two don't matter, because I can't remember their names.

16. Chud

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    68022555.jpg

17. Chud

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    The teal RightOn Mojo strap arrived while I was out at a conference this weekend. Looks fantastic and seems really high quality. Almost a spot on match for the guitar.

IMG_1217.JPG

IMG_1218.JPG

I got it from a Reverb seller for $50 shipped. I think I'm going to look over the rest of the styles for the Mira.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    freshchops and P Thought like this.

18. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica

19. freshchops

freshchops Tele-Meister

Jan 18, 2010
    Louisiana-USA
    +1 here! They appeared on my facebook feed every day for a while. Sponsored ads worked!

20. freshchops

freshchops Tele-Meister

Jan 18, 2010
    Louisiana-USA
    That looks great! BTW, I love that green burst Tele. Never seen one like it. It reminds me of the "Gecko Burst" Gibson did on some limited LP's.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.