Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Help choose Standard vs Deluxe

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by jagger241, Aug 7, 2008.

1. jagger241

jagger241 TDPRI Member

Looking To purchase a New tele but cant decide.... i love the twangy sound ,.....I play southern rock and country...Which would be a better choice Deluxe or Standard ....and reason????????? any help appreciated Joe

2. guitarzan13

guitarzan13 Friend of Leo's

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied

Welcome!

I don't know which two models you're shopping for. The American Standard versus Deluxe, or the Ensenada (mexico) Standard versus Deluxe?

Guitarzan recommended the Mexican Nashville Deluxe, and I really like that model as well; easy choice over the MIM Standard. Not the 'Power' Nashville.

As for the USA Deluxes, there's several of them. There's the Cherryburst, there's a B-Bender version, there's a Deluxe Ash and a recently discontinued '8502' version. The 8502 is OK, to me the other USA Deluxes are a lot of extra money for features which I like less than the newly revised (and renamed) Standard (was Series). They're good guitars, but there's so much else in that price range. I personally find the necks too thin on all these USA Standards and current Deluxes; and AV52 neck is really about as thin as I like nowadays.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. jagger241

jagger241 TDPRI Member

Actually the american standard and american deluxe joe

6. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

For what you stated you like to play, I would say neither of those would be my 1st choice....why don't you go to a Store and try some out, instead of asking a bunch of strangers opinions ?...never have quite understood the mindset in that?...but that's just me.

7. Tim73

Tim73 Friend of Leo's

I tend to find as a rule that Fenders basic models are quite a step down from the deluxe ones (be it Squier, MIM or US). The Nashville is a wicked guitar BUT I've heard it has the worst resale value, they just don't sell. It'd be useful to know which range you are looking at

8. jagger241

jagger241 TDPRI Member

You are right need to play and decide but i feel with so many choices of teles and also my playing which i think plays a major roll in sounds (not a professional picker by no means just a rookie , more just a hobby) That for the twang whats a great model out of the 2008s ........also thought mabe the reissues dont care if i spend $600-$1400 just rather get something that will twang and possibly be a guitar that i can hand down to son one day or even be a investment

9. igorBG

igorBG Tele-Holic

Deluxe should be better with more modern options. I tested both Strats and Teles (US Standards vs Deluxe) and you can hear and feel difference after few chords. There is more hand work involved in Deluxe, more details, and pickaps are more advanced (sound is subjective). Comparing to that, vintage Teles have completely different feel and sound. So I also suggest to try several moedrn and vintage Teles i shop, believe me you will hear differences easily

10. Jellecaster

Jellecaster Friend of Leo's

I play country. I'm actually not a fan of the "Nashville" models at all because the middle pickup gets in the way of my hybrid picking. The Deluxe models are very nice and the SCN pickups will work well for southern rock, but I think that model will be too "polite" for what you want.

The new American Standards are just awesome. They twang more than any other "modern" style Tele and I just love the new bridge. I can't recommend them highly enough!

11. Telarkaster

Telarkaster Friend of Leo's

I like the pickups on the American Standard and the body and neck of the Deluxe.

I'm not a fan of the SCN pickups, but if you play with a band then they might actually sound better with bass and drums than if you just play by yourself in a bedroom.

Can you rent one before you buy?

If you like the Deluxe, would you be willing to replace the pickups if you don't like the SCNs?

12. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity

Between the Deluxe and the Standard, I like the Deluxe better. Although, I would prefer to spend the money to get a more vintage spec guitar, but if money wasn't an option, I would have a Deluxe too. Probably get a cherryburst and an older Candy Tangerine with RW fretboard. Plus a AV52 and a nocaster.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.