Help buying used Deluxe Reverb

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by marcflores, May 10, 2019.

1. marcflores

marcflores Tele-Meister

Wow. Thanks, everyone. This is so much info to try and absorb and retain that I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. Honestly, I'm not even sure why I should buy a Deluxe Reverb other than someone told me it's a good amp to gig with and it sounds good. The only reason I wanted the silverface model in the first place is because there's reverb on both channels lol.

Silverface, thanks for taking the time to write that up. I never would've thought about amp maintenance. I'd just buy it, play it, and eventually wonder why it isn't working or sounding the way I want it to.

And not to over complicate this even more, but is there any reason I shouldn't get a different amp to play? I just want an amp that sounds good, is loud enough to gig with if I happen to be in a venue where I can't mic the amp, and takes pedals well. I was originally looking at the HRD and my friend starting steering me toward the DR because he said the HRD is bad (although I played one at Guitar Center and it sounded fine to me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯). A Hot Rod DeVille 212 seems like a decent option, too.

At any rate, I don't have a problem with getting a DRRI or the 68 Custom.

With all the advice about inspecting used amps, possibly taking them to amp techs before buying, etc. I'm wondering whether I should just buy new? I don't want to have to worry about all that stuff. I just want to play and not have it crap out on me.

Thanks again for all the input. I feel a little more prepared now, albeit still confused about what amp to buy. But at least I know I'll be in for a future of maintenance and care.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  2. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

New amps can crap out too.

3. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Holic

Have you considered buying a real Silverface DR for just a little more? You will be getting a robust, point to point amp rather than a PCB amp.

These amps are already 30-40 years old, many still going strong with minimal work other than changing tubes and filter caps. How will the PCB amps be holding up with they are 30-40 years old? Most will be out of service, as they are a PITA to work on, and made with cheaper parts overall.

There is an early 70's DR that has been on our local Craigs for several weeks listed at $1,000. I think I paid $1100 for a 72 3 years ago, which was probably just a bit high but I loved it from first strum and don't regret it for a second.

4. Larmo63

Larmo63 Tele-Afflicted

A lot of us here are dyed in the wool hand wired snobs.

I sold my DRRI when I finished putting together the hand wired Blonde 20 that Carl's Custom Amps did for me.

Much better to my ears, YMMV.

5. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Fender DRRIs are fine amps. The Hotrod/Blues Deluxe are made with lesser quality bits and more crappy construction. The DR is a bit harder to work on on than a Silverface but better with chassis mounted tubes. Couple of minor changes. Don't sweat 65 or 68.

I'd go Silverface for serviceability but then again my gigging amp is a 83 Superchamp.

If you want a 65 optimised it's not difficult.

budglo likes this.
  6. Sax-son

Sax-son TDPRI Member

I personally feel if you could only own 1 amp it would be a DRRI. I bought mine quite a few years ago and have never had a problem with it. I put in good tubes, a Weber 12F150 (50Watt) speaker and had it re-biased and that's all I ever have done to it. I like the 50 watt speaker because I still like a little headroom in my sound. The 25 watts break up a little to early for my tastes, but everyone is different.

My only advise if you are purchasing used, look for condition and try to get it as cheap as possible. They are fantastic amps in my opinion.

7. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Withdrawn

8. jguitarman

jguitarman Tele-Afflicted

This is what I was referring to:

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/msg/d/folsom-fender-deluxe-reverb/6887290874.html

BTW since we're talking about the Hot Rod series vs. DRRI I would choose the DR in a heartbeat. I'll never forget the day I walked into a Sacramento music store where I had bought some vintage Fender amps. The owner had just received his initial order of the Hot Rod series and wanted me to try them out. I was never so under whelmed. Maybe I'm too used to the old Fender sound but I'm just sharing my opinion. If others like those amps , so be it.

I dthink that your friend is steering you correctly toward the DRRI.

9. stanger

stanger Tele-Meister

I'm more disposed to buying the amp I want to buy, not the one that's a better deal.

That's never to say the better deal is not the better amp, of course. But if it was me, I would buy the silver face, even if I had to save up to get it, and would never look back at the one I didn't buy.
    regards,
    stanger

10. marcflores

marcflores Tele-Meister

I've just decide to go with the new 68 DR instead of agonizing over all the small details and sound qualities of all the different amps. Blasphemous, I know, but if I allow myself to continue spiraling on this I'll end up delaying purchase or buying something I may regret because of having so many options. All the "what ifs" and stuff. I'll post a little vid here once I get the amp!

And again, I greatly appreciate everyone's advice. Especially about tube amp maintenance and what to bring with me on gigs.

VWAmTele, budglo and scelestus like this.
  11. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Meister

This is the right move! And don't stress about amp maintenance. Just pay attention to how it sounds and seems to perform and, if you play it a lot, replace the tubes once in a while.

marcflores likes this.
  12. marcflores

marcflores Tele-Meister

I went ahead with what I originally wanted from the start--the 68' Deluxe Reverb silverface. I can finally stop scouring forums and websites for which amp is "best for this or that" and all the minute details over tone. I brought it home, played louder than I should have for an hour, and I'm super happy with it. Thanks all for the help and maintenance advice! This is my first ever tube amp that didn't belong to my dad.

IMG_4973.jpg IMG_4988.jpg

VWAmTele, stevemc, Sean Mac and 2 others like this.
  13. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Congratulations! A fine looking pair!

marcflores likes this.
  14. marcflores

marcflores Tele-Meister

Well, I ended up buying the 68 DR silverface new. I hope it'll be a while before these services need to be done. In the meantime, what's the best way to store and travel with the spare tubes without busting them? Thanks again for your thorough response. I bookmarked it for future reference. I kept my Boss Katana as a backup, as you said. I never gigged with a backup amp, but now you've got me worried. And prepared.

15. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

Store and travel with spare tubes the same way you would with a box of lightbulbs. The difference between lightbulbs and tubes is, lightbulbs are glass envelopes surrounding a vacuum, and tubes are... more expensive glass envelopes surrounding a vacuum.

marcflores likes this.
  16. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Meister

Gorgeous amp! If you think it sounds great now, wait till the speaker gets broken in. As for the traveling with spare tubes- I doubt you'll have anything to worry about. I've had a DRRI for 3 years now and it gets fired up at least twice a week. For it's first two years it was handtrucked to and from church twice a week. I've had zero problems. Great amps!

marcflores likes this.
  17. marcflores

marcflores Tele-Meister

Thanks, man! I guess I can put them in partitioned little boxes like light bulbs.

I'm looking forward to when it's really broken in. Not sure when that is, but I guess I'll just have to listen for it? I went to the top floor of my house, stuck it in a closet, and "cranked" it to about 6 to hear it break up while I left the door slightly cracked. It sounded glorious and crazy loud so I played it like that for about 40 minutes.

18. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Meister

The figure I've heard bounced around is that, depending on the speaker type, about 20 hours at a fairly loud level is when they begin loosening up. Some people put them in a sound dampening situation like you did and set them up on a looping ipad or something and let them run. I've heard of other people doing a similar but with the speaker hooked up to a stereo amp so as not to put hours on the tubes

19. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Techs who gig often carry a "tube caddy" that hold dozens of tubes, plus a complete tool kit.

But non-tech players should have at least some kind of "gig box" - an old, large briefcase works well, with these spares and tools:

Spare tubes in their boxes padded with bubble wrap or foam; fuses; flashlight; a screwdriver set (including very small ones); a couple adjustable wrenches; needlenose pliers; string winder; string cutter; Allen wrench set(s) that fit guitar saddles for adjusting action, tightening knobs etc; extra strings; a roll of gaffers tape (not duct tape - it's messy when it gets hot); a 16/3 25-50' extension cord; a multi-outlet box (surge protection isn't critical); a GOOD tuner; a soft cotton wiping cloth; and spare batteries for everything you have. Those are essentials.

It's also a good idea to carry a small container with travel-size Deoxit D5 or another good electrical cleaner/lubricant (NOT CONTACT CLEANER - it'll wreck pots); dry Teflon lube (oils are messy and break down); and I like to keep a travel-shampoo type bottle filled with Stewmac's Preservation polish - it's the only one I use because it leaves NO silicone or other artificial shine residue (and the bottle they sell is too big).

The last 2 semi-essentials - Teflon plumber's tape. You put a couple of wraps around knob posts if friction-type knobs fall off - it helps keep them in place with no sticky junk; and TOOTHPICKS - when pickguard, strap and other wood screws get loose, bust off a section of wooden toothpick in the hole and screw it back together. No glue required. A temporary fix but works great!

Last - if you travel you absolutely should know how to properly adjust the truss rods on your guitars and have the correct tools - whatever type of wrenches and a leaf-type gap measurement tool in thousandths of an inch and an action measurement tool (normally in 1/64 increments, although some like thousandths instead). And to do these things you have to know what settings work best for you - so you will need to do some reading, and may need to consult with a tech to learn how to do this stuff properly (and if so pay him for his time!).

That should help -

marcflores likes this.
  20. marcflores

marcflores Tele-Meister

I'll have to start getting these things before gigging gets heavier this summer. Many thanks for all the help. And it's funny that I didn't even think of teflon tape to secure knobs when I use teflon tape all the time on my motorcycle.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.