Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

[Help] Bridge mounting hole slightly off, what are my options?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Nopecaster, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Nopecaster

Nopecaster TDPRI Member

May 12, 2013
    SoCal
    So far I only have one hole drilled into the body, about a 1/16" off to the left (away from the center line). I'm drilling for a strat-esque bridge if that makes a difference. I can simply move the bridge assembly forward or backwards just a smidge and no hole will be visible.

Does the fact that this is an adjustable bridge help me here? Which way would I normally need to adjust the saddles, forward or backward? This is a baritone guitar if that changes anything. Thank you guys so much!

2. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Get a small dowel the size of the hole you drilled, or one as small as you can, and carefully whittle, scrape, and sand the dowel the same diameter as the errant bore hole. Make it a good snug fit.

Use a small, thin piece of wire and put some glue down into the hole. The reason for gluing the hole and not the dowel, is that if carefully done, you'll have no, or very little squeeze out to deal with. If you glue the dowel, the glue will scrape off as you push it into the hole.

When the glue dries, carefully trim the dowel with a single edge razor blade, or a flush cut saw if you have one, so the dowel is flush with the top of your guitar. If you use a flush cut saw, and your guitar is already finished, protect the area on which the saw will rub with some masking tape.

Carefully locate your bridge, and use a sharp punch to center punch all the holes except the one you plugged. Drill these holes, and use soap or bees wax to lube the screws and drive them in.

Very carefully, use your sharp punch to center punch the hole for the spot you had to fill. With a little luck, the center punch hole won't be on the junction between the plug and the body, but if it is, don't worry, just punch a good starter hole so your bit is properly centered and carefully drill out this hole. Lube and drive your last screw as with the others.

Adjustability of the bridge makes no difference. It's important to place it properly from the get-go, so you don't have to jury rig your intonation or other factors.

Good luck!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.