Help/advice for 4-way switch install in Affinity Tele

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Eric OJ, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Eric OJ

Eric OJ TDPRI Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm in the midst of an Affinity tele switching and pot upgrade. I believe I have wired the components according to the directions and wiring diagram. These are my results:

Bridge Selection: No sound when a string is plucked. No sound when the pickups are tapped with a screwdriver.

Bridge+Neck Parallel: I get a sound when a string is plucked and BOTH pickups make a sound when tapped with a screwdriver.

Neck selection: I get a sound when a string is plucked, and a sound only when the neck pickup is tapped.

Bridge+Neck Series: I get a sound when a string is plucked, and get a sound only when the neck pickup is tapped, but NOT the bridge pickup.

I thought my bridge pickup had died during the modification, but apparently that is not so. The volume and tone pots are functional. I had some trouble soldering and grounding the neck pickup cover, but that appears to be grounded as my second attempt relieved a lot of static.

I have inspected the 4-way switch for blobs of solder that may be creating a short, but I cannot see anything.
    General testing with a multimeter has not helped.

These forums are great education and very inspiring for this beginner, THANK YOU!

Does anybody have any suggestions or help for these issues?

2. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Meister

If after careful troubleshooting you don't see an error try looking at a different 4-way schematic. I've got several I've downloaded over the years and just recently found that one of them is totally bogus. It gave me results like yours. I don't remember where it came from or if I ever used it before. I've been building projects from magazines since the 60s and now the web, and found that at least half the stuff out there is either designed or printed wrong.

jrblue likes this.
  3. thegreatshocka

thegreatshocka Tele-Meister

Check to make sure the control plate isn't interfering with the switch travel. I had similar issues until I saw that the length of the blade cutout on the Tele plate was slightly too short to allow the switch to travel the full sweep for all 4 positions. I had to file a bit of material off from the inside of the switch cutout, but after that it worked fine. I used a 46 gauge nut file to do it.

FWIW I used the Lindy Fralin 4 way diagram and I like it a lot.

Tonetele and Telecentric like this.
  4. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

I've done the four way mod on every Tele that I own or have ever owned, in fact I have just wired a Duncan Hot Tele pickup in on one of my Teles and the pickup I replaced into another one.

Bridge pickup is straightforward, ground to ground, hot to the very foremost lug on the switch.

I use the official Oak switch wiring, that works for me each time.

Have you run a separate ground wire from the neck pickup cover though? That's the crucial bit, unless you are using a pickup without a cover (which can make things easier)

5. Eric OJ

Eric OJ TDPRI Member

Yes, I have. I'm checking my connections with a multimeter. The solder joint on the neck pickup cover is pretty ugly and I think I'll re-do the soldering. Thanks!

6. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

That could be the problem as Affinity series are slightly smaller ( by mm) than other guitars (except for scale length).

7. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox TDPRI Member

I'm getting ready to wire up a 4 way switch on CV50s tele. I ordered a new control plate (Fender replacement part) and the switch slot was 26.7mm, which is the same length as the plate that came with the guitar. I think this is too short. It looks like there are places that sell control plates with a 27mm slot. I'm trying to decide if it's worth trying to get that extra space with a dremel or just buy another control plate.

EDIT: It's probably worth adding that the length of the slot on the switch itself is 28.4mm by my measurement, so a 27mm slot might not be long enough either.

Is there a go-to control plate for the Oak Grigsby 4-way switch?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  8. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Meister

Rock Rabbit makes some modified control plates for 4 and 5 way switches.

DrLunchbox likes this.
  9. Diytelecaster

Diytelecaster TDPRI Member

I had a similar problem when I done the 4 way mod. Turned out the control plate cavity wasn't quite deep enough and skewing the switch

10. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I used a CRL switch and that's considered standard size. BUT I still had the carefully chisel where the centre of the arc is deepest, and I mean carefully, as there is not much wood depth in Affinities. Go slowly and carefully, soldering need to be tidy also.

11. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

I used the Fender 4-way on my Tele, and used their directions to wire it. Does anyone know if the Fender is a CRL or an Oak-Grigsby switch?. I see the directions on the Fralin site say it is for the Oak-Grigsby, are there differences in the two switches in which lug is which, or are they the same?. The Fralin directions put the series connection in a different position on the switch, I am thinking about changing my wiring to the Fralin and need to know if it will work with the Fender 4-way?.
    Al

12. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yep there's one schematic that's been posted here many times that is wrong. Can't remember right now who made it, but it's a well-known guitar info site and is not accurate. It actually shows the wire from the neck pickup cover going to a switch lug.

This is what came with my Fender 4-way switch, and it's accurate.

Tele 4-Way.jpg

Just remembered the name of the bogus diagram maker, it was Rothstein Guitars.

Do NOT follow this one, which shows the cover wired to a switch lug, and the positive wire to a pot back.

http://www.guitar-mod.com/rg_4wayinfo.html

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  13. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

I got mine a long time ago, and the instructions didn't have that diagram, it was only a text description of how to wire it. My Tele also has a .022uf tone cap, not the .05 shown here, but that has nothing to do with the switch wiring. Do you or anyone know if the Fender 4 way switch is CRL or Oak Grigsby, and does it make a difference in the way you wire it?. I ask because the Fralin directions I posted about specify that it is for the Oak Grigsby version. It might be there is no difference, and he just meant that it wasn't meant for a cheap import switch like the ones that come in some off-shore Fenders, but I'd like to know if it makes a difference. Also, does this wiring put the bridge pickup first in the series connection?. It has been posted that you will get a better sound wired that way.
    Thanks,
    Al
    P.S. I've saved the diagram to a file, so I can print it out and compare to the wiring that I did on my Tele using the older Fender instructions.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  14. tap4154

I bought my switch many years ago (10 or more), and was going to put it in my '52, but never did. Then I finally put it in my VB CV50 5 or so years ago. Pretty sure it was made by Oak Grigsby. With that diagram the forward position is neck/bridge in series, next one back is neck alone, then neck/bridge parallel, and the back position is bridge only.

15. Eric OJ

Eric OJ TDPRI Member

Yes, thank you. This diagram and checking my solder joints solved the problem.

tap4154 likes this.
  16. tap4154

Was it just a cold joint, or wire had to be moved?

In any case, glad it's working now!

17. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

Glad you got it fixed. I always check multiple diagrams for whatever circuit I'm going to try (assuming they exist, and they usually do) to verify correctness. There's a lot of slop and BS thrown up on the web, heaven knows why.

18. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

The Fralin instructions put the series setting in between the bridge/neck in parallel and the neck alone, which some people like better than the stock Fender setup. I'm trying to find out which diagram puts the bridge pickup first in the series connection, before the neck pickup, which I've read is supposed to sound better. I can't figure it out from looking at the diagrams.
    Al

19. tele_savales

This channel has been very helpful to me. Here he describes the wiring that I decided on: Bridge, Bridge and Neck in Parallel, Bridge and Neck in Series, Neck. It's a change in two jumper wires. It doesn't change the sound, just the usability of the switch (to me, anyway). It should take less than 30 seconds to change your current wiring to this.

20. tele_savales

Another thing I've found handy is to screenshot the diagram, then magnify it up on my screen when I'm doing the wiring to refer to it. Also, hand drawing diagrams repeatedly helps me know at a glance if I've botched a connection. And botch my first 4 way switch I did, repeatedly melting expensive oak grigsby switches until I got my act together with my soldering skills.

Edit: He also has on his channel instructions for adding that series connection w a push-pull pot. I did that on my latest Tele because the throw of the 4 way switch (even tho the slot length is fine), it puts the switch tip a little too close to the tone knob for me (all of my control plates are reversed) You might like that one also, esp if plate slot length is an issue.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.