Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Help, 716p OD caps WAY too big for 65’ Prri pcb

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by GorgeousTones, Aug 9, 2018.

1. GorgeousTones

GorgeousTones TDPRI Member

Oct 17, 2015
    Boston
    Hey guys! I need some help finding a few good (ie; similar to 716p’s) quality caps small enough in size too fit my Fender 65’ Princeton Reverb Reissue. I’m just swapping some of the component values in the circuit..

-I had already desoldered the .047 mid cap when I realized the 716p series Orange Drops I bought weren’t going to fit. I can bend the leads to make them an approximate fit in width, but body is about 3x larger than stock. And frustratingly located next to and partially underneath the Trem pot and it’s awkwardly designed mounting “wings” (see pic)..

**I took a couple pics 1st showing where/how the mid cap is placed @C23. Then a couple illustrating the OD’s size disparity.. (The cap is only .022uf, smaller than the .1uf cap C24 in the photo!)

6A248A56-8034-486E-8E54-4ACE36B45390.jpeg 1C133566-C35C-47A0-B293-540DF7C0422E.jpeg 68FD61B3-B3A3-42EF-A4C3-F673EF6FA86C.jpeg

If you’re familiar with the reissue Fender amps, Im mainly focused on the long secondary PC board.. The one mounted along the front faceplate where all the control pots are soldered. Thanks in advance!!

2. dan40

dan40 Tele-Holic

Aug 19, 2015
    Richmond Va
    Hoffman sells the Panasonic and Xicon caps That sre small enough to fit the board. Quality is on par with the OD's and he ships extremely fast!

Edit: I can't get the link to work but check out "hoffmanamps.com" and click on the capacitor page.

3. GorgeousTones

GorgeousTones TDPRI Member

Oct 17, 2015
    Boston
    Awesome thanks! I’ve never seen the Panasonic caps but I am familiar with Xicons. In fact the amps stock film caps (whatever they are) definitely resemble the way Xicons look. I actually thought of those when I pulled that cap.

It’s a shame though, these 716 oranges are about as solid construction wise as I’ve seen.. :cool:

4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Just bend the legs into an 'L' shape.

Vishay makes 400 volt versions of the same cap that are smaller. If it's going in a preamp, most are on 200 volts or less. You don't need 600 volt caps and they won't be 'better'.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=332570993286

OTOH 'Orange Drops' are mostly marketing these days. They're ok but nothing out if the ordinary one. Nichicon makes nice high voltage caps in high temp ratings, too. Vishay and the modern Mallory caps are fine, too.

Wally and Bill Moore like this.

5. LudwigvonBirk

LudwigvonBirk Tele-Holic

Aug 26, 2017
    Madison
    A little creative lead-bending would let you use those perfectly ok caps you already have. Like do a 90 degree bend IN just a bit under the lower side of the cap with both leads, and another 90 degree bend DOWN so each lead hits the board-hole straight. Won't hurt anything if the cap isn't perfectly centered over the pcb board, and if you take your time it will look good.

Smaller caps from Hoffman or elsewhere is fine too but you can have an eye-candy-grade install with that 716 you have if you slow down and zen it.

Bill Moore likes this.

6. wanderin kind

wanderin kind Tele-Meister

Apr 24, 2018
    Olympia WA
    we usually use 600 VDC caps on phase inverter plates only. so yes to the 400 VDC suggestion, and yes to lead bending and hot glue gun. IC makes some small poly tubulars also, can't vouch for sound quality,

yes i am a hopeless cap junkie, using up valuable time trying to trick myself into thinking i hear a difference, when good ol orange drops from Antique Electronic sound just fine. favorite type shown by red arrow, epoxy end caps, notice the cap with the AC and DC voltage rating, you do not see that too often anymore, why have it? Peak to Peak V = 2.828 x RMS voltage, or maybe it is a current thing, i find that those old Siemens rectangular caps pick up extraneous noise easier than most, maybe circular is good for less hum pickup, and maybe an ungrounded metal can cap will pick up hum also, like you see with the popular russian oil filled caps that people like nowadays. notice that the Vitamin Q was obviously constructed as to have the case grounded to a chassis, which poses questions when using them in a sensitive tone circuit where you would float the case and use a solder lug for the grid. having the case at Plate V would probably not be a good idea. .

caps.JPG

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 4:18 AM
    LarryBudMelman likes this.

7. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    Easy, just bend them. I actually have a bunch of Orange Drops that came pre bent this way.
    [​IMG]

LarryBudMelman likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.