Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Hello from Reno

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by Jonloder, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Jonloder

Jonloder NEW MEMBER!

Oct 26, 2018
    Reno
    I've been (and still am) a Gretsch nut for years. It's much harder to play than my Strat but I've been noticing that a lot of the sound that I aspire to comes from Telecaster. I did a little reading and found that, according to predominate opinions, the Telly sound comes from a combination of bridge and pickup design. it seemed worthwhile to try one out so I bought a MIM from a local Craigslist ad for $240.

This thing needs setup badly. The action is way too low. Any advice on a good setup guide so I can play like Merle Jagger?

I also want to reverse the controls. That is, put the volume knob toward the neck with the switch on the bridge end. I can't remember where I first saw that but I've noticed it a few times. It doesn't look difficult. Is that a common mod? or am I looking at something more exotic that should be left to the pros?

I've heard that the Telly is best played with the compressor at the end of the effects rather than the typical position at the beginning. Is that true? My other effects are Chorus, Tube Screamer and Analog Delay. I play through a Cyber Twin but mostly keep it as a stock Twin Reverb. Any advice on settings would be appreciated.

Jon

Stringbanger likes this.
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Howdy!
    I’m a Gretsch fan, too!

Jonloder likes this.
  3. Skamania

Skamania Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

Jul 27, 2018
    California
    Welcome! Can’t help you with setup but MIM sounds like a good way to start with Teles. It’s just that you just can’t have one Tele. ;)

4. Jonloder

Jonloder NEW MEMBER!

Oct 26, 2018
    Reno

Yeah, I'm kind of expecting that. I tend to go overboard when I get into something. I've had my acrylic nails for two weeks now. The cheap-o that I got is pretty rough. I figure I'll tear it down and refinish it just for kicks later on.

5. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2009
    St. George, UT
    Welcome from southern Utah.

Jonloder likes this.
  6. FrankJames

FrankJames Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 9, 2008
    Ohio, USA
    Welcome to the forum !!

Jonloder likes this.
  7. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    Welcome aboard.

A setup is not that hard - there are links for it on the Fender website. Just google "telecaster setup" and you'll find it.

Jonloder likes this.
  8. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jun 24, 2006
    Fort Worth,Tx.
    Welcome aboard.

Jonloder likes this.
  9. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 18, 2013
    West O' Philly, PA
    Welcome to the fold! We need guitar pics to validate your membership.

SB

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.