Hello from PNW

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by whitecloud, Jul 28, 2017.

1. whitecloud

whitecloud Tele-Meister

Hi I am going to do things different this time. Join a forum, then buy the guitar(s) ;). I've favored Gibson scale axes over the years but in more recent times am branching out. I didn't see myself with a Gretsch but back in 2009 started playing then buying them. Joined the Gretsch Talk forum as well. I am very fond of them now. So here again didn't picture myself with a Tele for so many years and have only had a few pass through my hands doing pup upgrades for friends but even those weren't Traditional in a sense regarding pickups and woods. The only Fender scale axe I have is a 1980 MIJ Tokai Silver Star, strat copy. Plays great and love the single coils, so I am thinking gotta get a Tele to round out my stable but that will probably start the Gas all over again when I thought I was taking a break from buying guitars.
    I am thinking of my first purchase in about a month or so. Local shops lost Fender dealership so either used consignment or 100 miles away. I have bought online many times and actually had pretty good luck.
    So soon I'll be asking a few questions

68Telebass likes this.
  2. acrylicsuperman

acrylicsuperman Tele-Afflicted

Welcome to the forum.

3. FrankJames

FrankJames Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome to TDPRI !!

4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Howdy!

5. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Ask away! I joined here before I bought a Tele - lots of info, then overload, then the patterns emerged, the I got a wonderful Tele I love. Great resource we have here!

6. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

I looked up your location just now. I went to a wedding in Moscow, Idaho after flying into Spokane decades ago - I may well have been through your home town!

whitecloud likes this.
  7. Misty Mountain

Misty Mountain Tele-Meister

Give a long hard look at building a partscaster. I am a longtime Gibson loyalist but decided to get into Fender style guitars. Bought an MJT bodied guitar which started my interest in partscasters. I have now put together three. My Tele is and MJT reliced (body, neck, hardware all aged by MJT). I built it as a 1953 tribute with top-of-the line parts. Went with a Musikraft Blackguard neck, Callaham hardware and a two-piece swamp ash body from MJT. Put it together and got it properly set up and Plek'd by Mike Lull in Bellevue WA. One word - AWESOME!

Welcome to the party. Great folks here with lots of answers to the mysteries of Fender...

8. whitecloud

whitecloud Tele-Meister

Thanks, my Pal here in town has almost all you need tool wise builds his own designs, I've done some of that in the past building axes from Carvin neck thru, just add the wings I am handy with a soldering iron and feel confident doing all the electronics. I think my plan is to just buy a entry level guitar 4-600 bucks, then do the parstcaster over time as you suggest This way I have something to play and it also gives me an idea of what I may want different or what is lacking

68Telebass and Misty Mountain like this.
  9. whitecloud

whitecloud Tele-Meister

Now I'll share what " Tele's" I've had. None of these I really paid actual cash for. I was mentoring a friend teaching him a complete computer novice how to record in a DAW environment so I was offered a Tele for doing so. This guy was a Tele Aficionado. I had a couple to choose from and
    all the while installing different pups etc. First one was a Squire Vintage modified single coil bridge, mini-hum neck and a single in the middle. Made in India and had a Cedar Body The SC bridge was a SD JB Jr and the neck a SD mini hum these I was given to replace the stock pups. I ended up returning it to stock form and keeping the pups. The other Squire VM was a Thinline Black with an awful looking purple or pinkish pickguard which I couldn't get past. The guitar seemed almost toy like. So I managed to sell it, gave money to my friend then asked if I could go with the Tradition Jerry Reid Pro instead. This guitar I had awhile, the neck had been replaced but everything else stock. It had a gazzillion settings with the switches and pus pull. a very heavy guitar. Mahogany body Flame maple top. This was the best of the 3 I had here. I would still have it if not for a moment of weakness and insanity when I gifted it to a Lady friend who is now long gone

10. cmclayton101

cmclayton101 Tele-Meister

Welcome and good luck with your finds!! :)

11. 68Telebass

68Telebass Tele-Afflicted

Welcome aboard-
    Squire makes a good modding platform with the CV Teles. And they play good enough out of the box you can take time modding a little at a time while enjoying playing them.

12. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Welcome to the fold!

String__________:::]

13. whitecloud

whitecloud Tele-Meister

Thanks I planned on a new post in the Squire sub forum. Just wanted to do a proper introduction. It is hard to overlook all the positives I've read regarding the CV Tele's. I see a couple I am considering another would be the Fender FSR Ash BSB if MF drops the price back down to 550 bucks opposed to 7 bills right now. So these guitars are strong contenders, then just the other day I found out a local shop in another town nearby carries Michael Kelly guitars but don't have the model I'd consider in stock at the moment. So I may post another thread regarding the MK 1953 series in the other T types sub forum

14. Mr. Neutron

Mr. Neutron Tele-Meister

Welcome!!!

Aside from guitars, that's a nice part of the hemisphere you reside in. Real pretty area.......

Jimmie

15. whitecloud

whitecloud Tele-Meister

Yes it is pretty nice here, sometimes can take that for granted. Two Universities 8 miles apart adds to the college vibe though. Not crime invested like some places. Don't have to drive too far for great camping/hiking areas. If you hunt and fish same deal. Music shops are small and carry a small sample of guitars and gear so that is a drag. Really like to support local businesses but the reality is many times have to order online.

Mr. Neutron likes this.
  16. Lefty Tele Guy

Lefty Tele Guy TDPRI Member

Welcome from an ex-PNW guy, now transplanted to AZ.

17. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

Hello and welcome!

18. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Howdy from north of you. I wouldn't mind it if you cut down on the amount of smoke you're sending us! ;)

19. whitecloud

whitecloud Tele-Meister

LOL, there's smoke coming down from BC ;)

20. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

Go Cougs!, (from a Duck)

whitecloud likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.