Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Hello from Orlando, long time lurker.

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by GreatDaneRock, Dec 6, 2018.

1. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock TDPRI Member

Dec 6, 2018
    Central FL
    Hello folks.

I've been a long time lurker (this forum is awesome if you must know) but I felt I couldn't join until I acquired my first Tele. This just happened and I'm so stoked. I did some changes to it, I'll post a NGD thread in a minute.

I want you all to know that this forum is a breath of fresh air compare to other "testosterone laden" ones (TGP anyone?) and that the camaraderie here seems great. I look forward to getting to know you all better and possibly meet some of the members if there are any Central FL meet ups organized.

Not only do the members here provide valuable information regarding guitars, amps, setups, etc, but there seems to be a good Peavey following too. I collect Peavey amps from the 80's decade, spanning from 1983 to 1989. Currently in this modest collection: 1983 Renown 212, 1984 Classic VTX 2x12, 1985 Special 130 and Studio Pro 40, 1986 Renown 400 (soon to become a head) and TKO 65 Bass amp, and my newest addition a 1989 Triumph 60 head with a rather unique "ported" 2x12 cab (looks like a 4x12) that sounds massive, weights a metric ton, and just delivers the most amazing tone with the Triumph head.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking forward to getting to know you all a bit better,

GDR

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Howdy and welcome!

GreatDaneRock likes this.
  3. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    :eek::eek:

do you like peavey ? i'm guessing and i don't know why ! ;)

welcome aboard ! have fun around here

Nubs and GreatDaneRock like this.
  4. GreatDaneRock

Dec 6, 2018
    Central FL
    Well, if you're going to have a solid state amp, IMO it doesn't get much better. I know people are highly praising Quilter amps today and probably rightfully so (I've yet to play or hear one in person) but for the money they're asking, I can get several Peavey amps that probably deliver just as much. Keep in mind I use them clean with my pedalboard. The distortion on some of these amps can sound a bit fizzy if pushed too hard (like most ss amp's distortion).

Those who speak negatively of them, in my experience has to do with the fact it was amongst their first amps when they were very green in terms of guitar playing and tone (no ear developed yet, poor understanding of how EQ controls work, shelving bands vs parametric bands, active vs passive tone stacks, etc). These amps are complex to dial in with Pre and Post gain stages, plus a mixture of active and passive tone stacks where changing one control interacts with the others. As a pro sound engineer I find these amps incredibly versatility with the ability to dial in any tone you want, just need to take time to set the knobs right.

Try one for yourself, a Red Stripe Bandit will surprise you in many ways, good ways!

GDR

brogh likes this.
  5. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2017
    Wales
  6. GreatDaneRock

Dec 6, 2018
    Central FL
    No capice?

Edit: I Googled it, thank you!

7. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    Join the Peavey Cvlt on Facebook. Yes, with a V. They'll like you...

8. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    Welcome to TDPRI :)

9. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    Nice collection. Welcome.

10. GreatDaneRock

Dec 6, 2018
    Central FL
    That's awesome there's a group there. I don't do FB, or Instagram. I'm a social media renegade!

Thank you!

Thank you, is very probable the collection will grow ;)

bparnell57 likes this.
  11. FrankJames

FrankJames Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 9, 2008
    Ohio, USA
    Welcome to the forum !!

12. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 18, 2013
    West O' Philly, PA
    Welcome to the fold!

SB

13. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2009
    St. George, UT
    Welcome to the monkey house!

14. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Meister

Aug 12, 2008
    Buffalo
    Welcome, I have had most of those Peavey's at one time or another :) You do need to find a Deuce and maybe a Stereo Chorus.
    Heading to Orlando this week, any cool night spots I should check out? I am partial to Country pickers.

15. GreatDaneRock

Dec 6, 2018
    Central FL
    Hi MFG, the only spot I know that the country hang out is called Cowboys, but I'm not sure if they have live music all the time, they also do square dancing, etc. check out their calendar, they might have life performances when you're in town.

mfguitar likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.