Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Hello from Denmark (country tele player)

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by pvh1987, Oct 9, 2017.

1. pvh1987

pvh1987 TDPRI Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Denmark
    Hello TDPRI members. I just signed up today :)

I'm an electronics engineer from Denmark. I recently took up guitar playing again after a pause of more than 10 years. For some reason I got more interested in listening to music rather than playing it myself. Here is my guitar playing story and how I eventually got myself a Telecaster. I know this turned into kind of a long read so I decided to sweeten it up with some pictures I took earlier today :)

I started playing a scaled down acoustic guitar when I was about 7 years old (as far as I remember) and got my first electric guitar when I was about 10 years old. This was a cheap Stratocaster copy and a small solid-state amplifier, but very nice christmas present indeed. During that time I played in a band in school with a few of my classmates. In my teenage years I got into hard rock (mostly Van Halen and AC/DC) and got myself an Ibanez RG370DX (locking tremolo, very thin and "fast" neck) and a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe amplifier. And quite a few effect pedals as well.

Looking back it is clear that I used a lot more time on playing around with various pedals rather than actually improving my playing. Never really played lead or rhythm... just kind of disconnected riffs with a lot of effects. Eventually I got bored with it and lended out most of my gear to a friend.

I then got into hi-fi and lost most interest in hard rock. I then turned to my old guitar hero Eric Clapton and got into some blues. Around the same time I got into country rock bands such as the Eagles and Poco. Slowly I became interested in classic country music like Buck Owens and Waylon Jennings. Especially Don Rich with his very bright, twangy guitar playing turned me on. I liked the licks on the lower strings a lot (still do) and thought it actually sounded relatively simple to play but very powerful and melodic at the same time. Totally different kind of playing than what I used to hear.

Keep in mind that country music is not that popular in Denmark. In fact, I don't know any people around my own age (30 years old) that have a passion for country music. Most people I know can't take it seriously or even hate it. Of course country music is a broad term and I don't like much of the new country myself. I am mostly into the Bakersfield sound and, in recent years, western swing as well. The point is that it took me a very long time to discover most of the country artists I know since nobody told me about them.

Fast forward to late 2016: After rarely touching a guitar in ten years, I decided to give the country style guitar a try on my old Ibanez. String buzz on the G string have been an issue for a while. Even worse, I found that it was impossible to play country on this guitar since it often requires playing bended and non-bended strings at the same time. When I bended a string, the string below it came out of tune due to the tremolo. I also got pain in my left hand when bending a lot, probably due to the very thin neck. Also, the sound was not country-like at all.

I decided I needed a new guitar. So I did some research and after a while, there was no doubt that it had to be a Telecaster. Almost the complete oppsite of the Ibanez: Thick maple neck, no tremolo, no locking nut, singe coils etc. I went to the guitar store and tried a couple of teles, including the American Standard. I did not like that because of the weird bridge and the neck was too thin. The same about the Mexican Telecasters, although I would have loved to try the 50's Baja Tele since I knew it had a thick neck and classic bridge configuration - but it wasn't in the store. The only one they got with a thicker neck was the brand new American Professional. What a wonderful neck... the bridge looked like a classic Telecaster but made more comfortable when palm muting, not to mention compensated saddles. Acoustically the sound was much more rich than the American Standard, allthough I found the Am. Standard the most twangy plugged in. So, there we go - I bought the American Professional. Quite expensive, but when something feels right, you have to do it :)

[​IMG]

I promised myself that I bought this guitar to improve my playing - not to play it for a week or two and then put in the corner - too expensive for that. So I had to find a way to keep playing, improve and not get bored.

I plugged the line out of my power attenuator into a small mixer along with my laptop and headphones. This way I could at least get some use out of my tube amp in my apartment without upsetting the neighbors. I found a program named Transcribe which let me play along with my favourite tunes, reapeating parts and changing tempo and key as I wanted. Fantastic!

[​IMG]

By the way, the amp is a limited edition of the HRDx in lacquered tweed with a Jensen P12N speaker. I imported this from the USA years ago - that's why I need the power transformer to the right of the amp. I comment on the Hot Plate and the Palmer DI-box below.

Nonetheless, in a couple of weeks I learned all five positions of the major pentatonic scale. I began practicing the scales on simple country songs in the key of A, then the key of E and D. For the first time I found that I could actually play lead guitar... kind of, at least :)

I still practice at 2-3 times a week for at least 2 hours each time. I am just so pleased to finally have this hobby back again - and actually get better each time i play.

As if this thread is not already way too long, here is more: I am also very much into steel guitars. I love pedal steel, especially the twangy sounds of the (early) 60's rather than the ultra-clean, solid-state, volume-pedal-heavy sounds of today. I also like western swing a lot, where non-pedal steel guitars are more common. In fact I got myself a 6-string lap steel earlier this year as well:

[​IMG]

However, unlike the Tele, I find myself severely disabled when trying to play this instrument. Probably because I only have six strings and cannot lower or raise any of them while I play. Slants are not easy and I still have trouble with damping the strings correctly, which is very easy on the Tele. It feels like a completely different instrument than a regular guitar in so many ways. I would like a pedal steel guitar but they are horribly expensive, not to mention shipment to Denmark, import fees and taxes. And of course it will need to be a dual 10-string model since I really like jazzy sounds as well as twangy sounds. :)

Besides Don Rich, I also like Junior Brown (also a steel guitarist), James Burton, Redd Volkaert, Jimmy Bryant, Vince Gill, John Jorgenson, Pete Anderson, Albert Lee, Johnny Hiland and many more - probably a lot I have yet to discover. Steel guitarists I like include Jimmy Day, Ralph Mooney, Tom Brumley, Jay Dee Maness, Lloyd Green, Herb Remington, Speedy West, Buddy Emmons (mainly his jazz album), Eddie Rivers (from Asleep at the Wheel)... Youtubers such as David Hartley and John Stannard also come to my mind.

Thank you for letting me introduce myself to the TDPRI forums.

I guess I have to introduce myself to the American Professional Owners club as well as the Hot Rod Deluxe owners club here on TDPRI :)

Before I talk about my gear, here is another picture of the Tele - this time on the couch, waiting to be plugged in. I actually like the natural ash finish... it has a tendency to look a little reddish in some pictures but I think I got the white balance right this time.

[​IMG]

As most of my pedals are still lended out, I don't have much gear to list. I recently bought a Boss DM-2W (analog delay) but I rarely use it. Allmost all the time it is just the guitar straight into the amp. Usually set very clean but with a little bit of warmth and a little bit of spring reverb. Nowadays I mostly use my THD Hot Plate attenuator purely as a reactive speaker load and a Palmer Speaker Simulator/DI box called "The Junction" to feed line level signal into the mixer when practicing or recording. This sounds much more natural and open to me than the Hot Plate line out which is a little dull to my ears.

I do not use dirt pedals and definitely not the drive channel on the Hot Rod Deluxe. I find the clean channel not as sparkly and tight as I would like it to be, so in the future I might look into Fender amps like the 59' Bassman or Twin Reverb - or maybe the 57' Twin? I think the Deluxe Reverb might be a little underpowered since I usually play very clean. I have also considered modding the HRDx to hopefully open up the sound and make the bottom more tight. But, as I still live in an apartment, a new amp is probably not that important unless I begin to gig. I also have a Yahama THR-10 that I don't use very often except when I'm in my summerhouse.

9-42 Elixir Optiweb are my current favourite strings. I always had problems with strings corroding very quickly so I finally gave in and tried coated strings for the first time. The Optiweb strings feel a little harder to bend than the Ernie Ball Super Slinkys I used before, but there is no corrosion and they sound just like regular strings to my ears.

I went from medium/thick nylon picks to thin celluoid picks. I find them to not only sound better for my style but they also give a different tactical feedback. Took a while to get used to, though.

Feel free to comment or ask questions :)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    Mbechmann, JL_LI, Middleman and 8 others like this.

2. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Holic

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    All I could think while looking at those pictures is "wow Denmark has really great lighting."

Anyway, welcome! Sweet tele, I dig the finish. Nice amp too, I was between that and an AC15 but went with the Vox.. Keep rocking over there and don't forget telecasters are good for literally everything, not just country!

jimash and dr_tom like this.

3. pvh1987

pvh1987 TDPRI Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Denmark
    Thank you, Sconnie!

I actually took the pictures with my old Canon 400D SLR just with the overcast daylight coming in from the windows. It is not a good camera by todays standards so I needed to use a tripod and slow shutter speed to get decent image quality. I used to photograph a lot as well but I guess that hobby went away... or maybe it is just on hold like the guitar playing was - only time will tell :)

Sconnie likes this.

4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Howdy?
    Great looking gear!

5. tery

tery Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    Welcome to TDPRI :)

6. pvh1987

pvh1987 TDPRI Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Denmark
    Thank you, brookdalebill :)

7. pvh1987

pvh1987 TDPRI Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Denmark
    Thank you, tery :)

8. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    Nice hardware collection. Welcome!

9. dr_tom

dr_tom Tele-Meister

Sep 21, 2013
    Ontario
    Been dying to visit Copenhagen for years. Had Danish friends in New Zealand. Such lovely people. Anyways... Welcome!

10. pvh1987

pvh1987 TDPRI Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Denmark
    Thank you, unixfish :)

I see that you have Tux playing a Telecaster as your avatar - very nice. I assume that you are into Linux and Unix/Unix-like systems. I am too - I have been using Linux every day for many years.

11. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    I do Linux development on the side - and yeah, Linux is where I prefer to spend my time.

12. pvh1987

pvh1987 TDPRI Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Denmark
    Thank you, dr_tom :)

Nice that you want to visit Denmark! There is a lot to see in Copenhagen, and a lot to see outside of Copenhagen as well - but all is in a relatively small area (small country) so it doesn't take long to go from one area to another.

I see you are in Ontario. I was there about 12 years ago. I went to Ottawa, Toronto and Kingston as well as visiting several states in the US including New York, Pennsylvania and Washington D.C. In fact I bought an MXR Dynacomp in a store Ottawa - can't remember the name of the store or where it was exactly :)

dr_tom likes this.

13. JBFatFingers

JBFatFingers Tele-Meister

Oct 9, 2016
    Canton, MI
    Velkommen til! Danmark er et rigtigt dejligt sted at bo!

Mbechmann likes this.

14. Dingbat

Dingbat Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Apr 12, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    Davs og velkommen fra en Dansk-Amerikaner paa vestkysten :D

Mbechmann and JBFatFingers like this.

15. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    first we take Oildale, then we take Copenhagen

16. FrankJames

FrankJames Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 9, 2008
    Ohio, USA
    Welcome to the forum !!

17. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 18, 2013
    West O' Philly, PA
    Welcome to the fold!

SB

18. pvh1987

pvh1987 TDPRI Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Denmark
    Dejligt også at blive budt velkommen på dansk - det havde jeg ikke lige forventet :D

Mbechmann, Dingbat and JBFatFingers like this.

19. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta

Welcome.

You are in good company then ;-)

How is the country music scene in Denmark?

20. pvh1987

pvh1987 TDPRI Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Denmark
    Thanks for the nice replies. I know you all like pictures so I decided to take some more :)

My newest purchase is the Boss DM-2w Analog Delay, based on the classic DM-2 from 1981 (discontinued in 1984). This version has the original DM-2 sound (but probably lower noise floor) along with a custom mode that allows longer delay time as well as higher fidelity. I prefer the cusom mode due to the better clarity but the repeats still sits neatly in the background compared to the modern crystal clear digital delays.

[​IMG]

Although I don't use it very often, I like to use it as slapback effect that works well in some country and rockabilly tunes - I am pretty sure it will work just as well for classic rock and early hard rock as well.

[​IMG]

My only concern is that the dry signal does have slightly reduced fidelity - not much, but noticable. Probably best used with an external true bypass or in a parallel effects loop. Tap tempo would be a nice feature as well. I guess I will only use it for slapback effects and then get a digital delay with tap tempo for more precise and rhythmic delays.

[​IMG]

There is a big "Inspected in Japan" sticker on the back with a serial number.

[​IMG]

Most of my pedals are lended out to one of my friends but I managed to find two more Boss compact pedals and a volume pedal.

First is the Boss OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion. This is my very first pedal. I got this as a birthday present in the late 90's. Back then I didn't know anything about guitar effects so I guess the guitar store guided my parents to buy this one for me :)

[​IMG]

I have not used it in a very, very long time so I won't comment on the sound. I do remember that I like this one better:

[​IMG]

This is the Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive, probably bought in early to mid 2000's. I have not used this in a long time either but I remember it sounds better than the drive channels in my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.

I also got this Boss FV-500H volume pedal. A very sturdy, big, heavy beast. Haven't used it much but it might get more use in the future together with the lap steel guitar :)

[​IMG]

It can also function as an expression pedal as seen in the picture below.

[​IMG]

Here is the Palmer PDI-09 speaker simulator "The Junction". It connects between the speaker output of the amp and the speaker itself. It "taps" the speaker signal using a small transformer and the output is a balanced line level signal. It features three "cab simulations", three attenuation levels and a ground lift switch. I really like this device - sounds great :)

[​IMG]

For silent practice or recording, a load box must be used. For that, I use the THD Hot Plate. Probably an expensive load box, but it works fine as volume control as well - I bought it for that purpose but now I mostly use it as a load box. It is a reactive load contrary to many cheaper load boxes which are purely resistive (as far as I know). I remember that cranking the HRDx and managing the volume with the Hot Plate sounds better than the drive channels.

[​IMG]

This is the 8 Ohm model (other impedances are available in different colors). It features a non-balanced line output that I find a little too dark sounding. The Palmer box is much more transparent and higher output level as well - that's why I bought it.

[​IMG]

I put the output of the PDI-09 into this Behringer Xenyx Q1002USB mixer. Plug in some good headphones (at the moment I am using AKG K712) and connect the laptop via the USB port, and practice (or recording) becomes very easy and efficient. This setup has really improved my playing a LOT and continues to do so!

[​IMG]

I would like to use closed-back headphones instead for this setup so I can practice at lower volumes without hearing the acoustic sound of the guitar.

This clip-on tuner (TC Electronics Polytune) is fantastic - it reacts very fast and is very accurate as well. Best tuner I have used so far.

[​IMG]

And last, but not least, I really like the Elixir Optiweb strings. Solved the corrosion problem for me. Sounds like new strings for a long time. I find them quite natural sounding. They are also not that smooth so bends are no problem at all. I think they are a little darker sounding now but I haven't changed them for about four months - I think they are good for two months at least. Regular strings lasts maybe a 2-3 weeks before they get too corroded and dull sounding. At least, that how it is for me.

[​IMG]

I also own these things but I can't take pictures of them because one of my friends has them in his practice room. All from the mid 2000's - no vintage or boutique stuff:

Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
    Boss TR-2 Tremolo
    Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner
    MXR Dyna Comp
    MXR Flanger
    MXR Phase 90
    T-Rex Fuel Tank (power supply, the original light blue version)
    T-Rex Tone Trunk (pedal board with road case)

I also have two Roland SDE-3000 digital delay units, rack mountable (at least one of them works as it should) - I bought them used on eBay at at time when I was dreaming of a big 80's hard rock rig :)

I would like the tremolo back... probably could use the chorus as well. The old rack mount delays are too much of a hassle so I will probably get a compact pedal next time I want to play around with digital delay :)

Regarding cables, I use Klotz LaGrange and other high quality cables.

That's it for now. I will upload more pictures of the tele and HRDx (maybe the THR10 as well) but they will probably be posted in the "owners club" threads somewhere else on TDPRI. I might take pictures of my other guitars but that will have to wait. Right now I love the Telecaster so much that my few other guitars really are of very little importance to me :D

Feel free to comment if you like :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.