Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Hello from Alabama

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by sk25, Dec 7, 2013.

1. sk25

sk25 Tele-Meister

Dec 7, 2013
    Hello. I'm Michael, 32, from Alabama.

I've been lurking this place for about half a year and finally decided to join up today.

I like to play both guitar and bass, though bass is my favorite. As for my playing, well...let's just say I'm just about good enough to completely humiliate myself in front of anybody who really knows what they're doing. I am getting better though, and a videogame called Rocksmith (don't mistake it for Rock Band or Guitar Hero) is really helping me out a's like using a guitar tab that tells you where you messed up as you play.

Anyay, I enjoy Rock music and almost all of its metal or punk related offshoots that I've heard examples of from the 60s to now. I like some country as well, like Waylon and Johnny Cash and some newer stuff as well, but I prefer rock or metal. I have come across very few genres of music that don't have at least a few songs I like.

As for my gear, I have a cheap little Squier guitar amp and an Ibanez bass amp, neither one suited for much more than practice.

Here are my instruments:
    Epiphone G400 1966 edition (2 humbuckers, red, my favorite guitar)
    Washburn Maverick (blue with HSS pickups, my second favorite)
    Douglas Shadow (cherry sunburst Les Paul clone from Rondomusic)
    Memphis...something. I don't know what exactly, because there's no model name or serial number on it. It looks like a small sized strat shaped body, thin, black with a fake tortoiseshell pickguard and one rail-type humbucker. I think it's from the early 80s.

MIM 2003 Fender Precision Bass (dark red, my favorite bass)
    Ibanez GSR200 (black, sounds great in Drop D, my second favorite bass)
    SX Jazz Bass (tobacco burst or whatever it's called; weighs a ton, but I like it anyway)

I also have a beaten and battered Stella Acoustic from I think the early 70s.

I've been thinking about getting a Tele and a Strat (I don't have either one at the moment, after all...or an HSH guitar either, come to think of it. I also want a baritone and--) or a cheap version from Rondomusic if I can't find the real thing cheaply enough to let me not starve for three months. I want one each of every kind of guitar and bass ever made, thanks.

I enjoyed building sloppy furniture in my shop class in high school, and since I can finally afford a decent band saw, I'm planning on getting into guitar building in the near future, preferably with more precision.
  2. FrankJames

FrankJames Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 9, 2008
    Ohio, USA
    Welcome to the forum, Michael !!

Great first post....
  3. fenderix

fenderix Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    Welcome to the TDPRI, Michael!

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. mattcouch

mattcouch TDPRI Member

Dec 3, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Cheers, Michael!
  6. sk25

sk25 Tele-Meister

Dec 7, 2013
    Thanks for the welcome everyone!
  7. Hiker

Hiker Friend of Leo's

Jul 20, 2008
    Welcome to TDPRI!
  8. Danny B.

Danny B. TDPRI Member

Aug 27, 2013
    portland or
    Welcome. I am new here too. I suggest you get on that idea of building guitars. I am in the same boat. I am a carpenter/woodworker and have also wanted to start building guitars. Good luck. Danno.
  9. Fernandomania

Fernandomania Tele-Afflicted

Dec 28, 2012
    Sunny SoCal
  10. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Holic

Nov 11, 2012
    Madison, WI, USA
    Welcome Michael! Where in 'bama? Spent a few years in B'ham and Montevallo myself!
  11. sk25

sk25 Tele-Meister

Dec 7, 2013
    Thanks for the welcomes!

Danny B: I've been researching what I need for guitar building for a while now, and the bandsaw is pretty much the only thing I don't have access to and can't do without that is also a major expense. I'm almost ready!

kookaburra: North Alabama, not far from the Tennessee line. A little far from your neck of the woods, looks like. It's nice to see others who've lived in Alabama here!
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.