Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Heavy Metal Tele?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by CodeBlue, Aug 6, 2009.

1. cboutilier

cboutilier Tele-Afflicted

Oct 28, 2015
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    They are gorgeous instruments. I've been talking with my father (retired welder) about working with me to build a Trussart inspired build.

Southpole likes this.

2. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Holic

Mar 9, 2017
    The Peach State
    I don't own one, but Slipknot's Jim Root has his own signature Telecaster, Stratocaster and Jazzmaster. And if what he plays is not metal, then I don't know what metal is.

3. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Holic

Mar 9, 2017
    The Peach State
    Plug any Tele into a Mesa Rectifier and you'll hear what the Tele can do :)

Southpole likes this.

4. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Midwest, USA
    Stephen Carpenter of Deftones has an 8-string and 7-string Telecasters.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

leonard d rock likes this.

5. SonicDiveBomb

SonicDiveBomb Tele-Meister

Jun 15, 2014
    Philadelphia
    Humbuckers. Hot humbuckers. I use lace sensor dually's for the heavy stuff, they're nice and juicy with a good distortion pedal or amp drive.

You could go the stacked route and if you do I can only recommend zexcoils. Any other stacked humbuckers I've tried always made me want the full thing instead.

6. TeleDK

TeleDK TDPRI Member

May 26, 2013
    Denmark
    FMT HH Tele..........2 ballsy SD humbuckers with a meaty raw sound and sustain forever. Not much like your traditional tele, its a different beast all together. But if you like the look, simplicity and the balance of a telecaster this is the one for you........check it out, you wont be disappointed

7. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

Man, you just replied to a post from 2009!

8. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Holic

Mar 9, 2017
    The Peach State
    Oh, ok. People are still posting on here. Anyway, Teles can be a Metal guitar with a Mesa Rectifier.

9. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

Yeah necrothreads happen, I just meant that the specific post you replied to was from 2009.

Mesas aren't required.

Carlos Cavazo and Mick Mars both played metal ('80s metal) on Teles (or Tele style guitars) and they used Marshalls.

10. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    I always liked that pink one that C C Deville played in the I Won't Forget You video.
    Of course there isn't much Tele about it.
    Sorry if it's been mentioned already.

11. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

NO NO NO
    you guys have it allll wrong
    THIS is a Fender HMT, says so right on th headstock
    Here is the link to the Proper TDPRI Tread
    http://www.tdpri.com/threads/fender-hmt-heavy-metal-tele.241340/

My HMT, why are these innocuous teles HMTs?

It the Piezo pup in the bridge, normal tele and with a twist of a knob, bone crushing distortion. I LOVE them.

I also have a version with a proper tele headstock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017

12. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Holic

Mar 5, 2017
    Albany
    I think it's attitude! But some manner of humbucker helps. (Mine is a DiMarzio Super Distortion T.) I don't play Metal per se, but my band bears metal influences.
    I guess it's open to interpretation given how you define the term. For my part, I think early Sabbath and the NWBM bands when I hear the word Metal. It got shrill and tinny sounding (to my ears anyway) in the Hair Metal era, and now there are seemingly dozens of sub genres of high gain, down-tuned Metal varying in degree from doomsday sludge to heavily gated speed.
    It does seem, however, as this thread has ably demonstrated, that the Tele and its assorted variants and permutations has found its way into all of these species of Metal over the decades!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.