Hear the Purple Beauty - Road Worn Tele Video

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Andy Summers, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Andy Summers

Andy Summers Friend of Leo's

Jul 26, 2006
    CT
    Hey All,

Probably not the greatest way to show off the sound of this beauty, as I’m using the neck pickup with the tone rolled way down for a nice mellow tone...

These pickups are extreeeemely bright..even the neck pickup. The tone definitely needs to stay around 6..at least on my little POS Line 6 practice amp. Have to see how it sounds through a real amp. It sounded great through the Orange I used at Guitar Center...I may be swapping pickups on this lady...

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  2. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Far out man! Sounds pretty good to me! Now do some rockin' distortion!!

Andy Summers likes this.
  3. Andy Summers

Jul 26, 2006
    CT
    I certainly will Nubs :) And Thank you!!

BTW - The music is not mine..It’s actually a piano intro to a song called Space-Dye Vest by Dream Theater

4. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

Jun 16, 2009
    austin texas
    I own a blonde 50s Roadworn Tele and I don't find the pickups too bright...they sound like a typical Tele to me.This model has an Ash body,Maple neck and those steel saddles...all of which will contribute to a bright tone.The finish is also very thin Nitro so the wood is not being impeded by thick paint.Also the metal type of the bridge might be a brighter sounding metal than other types.Overall how is the acoustic voice of the guitar?Is it very jangly and bright naturally?If so then that might be the source of the brightness as it is amplified.I did put brass saddles on mine to get the authentic early 50s Blackguard look and it did mellow out the tone a bit.If the acoustic voice is indeed the source of the brightness then installing another set of pickups might not really help much.

Andy Summers likes this.
  5. Plumber

Plumber Tele-Meister

Jun 5, 2014
    london
    Gotta love Kevin Moore

Andy Summers likes this.
  6. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Dec 13, 2007
    Indiana
    Nice playing. I've got to quit opening your threads. I put my Ash Tele back together instead of getting a purple relic body and change my mind about every 15 minutes or so.

Andy Summers likes this.
  7. Andy Summers

Jul 26, 2006
    CT
    Haha!! Sorry Lonn!! I know your pain though!! And thank you for the compliment!!

8. Andy Summers

Jul 26, 2006
    CT
    Acoustically it’s pretty good..sorry for the non technical term..haha. But it’s dairly loud when it’s not into an amp. I’m thinking it’s more my crap Libe 6 amp though. Thank you for taking the time to write a nice reply. Good info there!

sonny wolf likes this.
  9. Andy Summers

Jul 26, 2006
    CT
  10. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    Looks good - Sounds good … thanks for the video :)

Andy Summers likes this.
  11. Andy Summers

Jul 26, 2006
    CT
    Thank you tery! And you’re very welcome :)

12. logans_tele

logans_tele TDPRI Member

Oct 12, 2015
    Tulsa, OK
    Funny, I came here to post on TDPRI that I played that exact road worn tele and was blown away by how great it feels. The neck felt incredible. The only comparison I have is the neck from a Nash tele I've played and while I won't get into "better" or "worse", I'll just say I liked the feel of this one a lot. I didn't plug it in, so can't comment on the pickups.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.