Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Headstock decal on a non Fender neck

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by tcarp, May 11, 2009.

1. tcarp

tcarp Tele-Holic

Assuming of course that it won't attempt to be passed off as an original neck, how do folks feel about using a Fender or just plain "Telecaster" decal on a scratchbuilt Tele or partscaster?

I'm using a Fender licensed replacement neck from an a/m manufacturer and the headstock looks so naked. At the same time, my project will be using just a minimum of genuine Fender parts...misc hardware, pots, switch....so putting on a "Fender" decal would signal "fake" to myself or anyone who knows better, even if I don't plan on selling it.

I was thinking about having a "Coral-caster" decal made but that seems kind of dorky. The other alternative is to get a "Fender Telecaster" made and just use the Telecaster part.

What do you guys do?

Tom

Tom

2. hamish5178

hamish5178 Tele-Meister

If I built my own guitar, I'd put a Fender logo on it, I know that's controversial around here, but I just like the way they look, and think blank headstocks look dumb.

I wouldn't be trying to fool anybody, if I went through the effort of building my own guitar, everyone would know!

Alex

Alex

3. Mr. B

Mr. B Tele-Meister

As far as I'm concerned, while the neck's in your possesion you can do whatever you like to it logo-wise, in the same way that a lot of people re-shape the headstocks of their non-Fender licensed necks to the trademarked Telecaster shape. It's only if you came to sell the thing with a Fender logo on that you'd get into dangerous territory.

I agree that headstocks can look naked without a logo - you could always try designing one for yourself (it doesn't necessarily need to be confined to a "-----caster") just to give it an extra splash of individuality.
    Personally, I put a stylised version of my signature on the headstocks of guitars I build/assemble.

Mr. B

Mr. B

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

Fender neck=Fender decal. Whats the big deal? Putting your name on thier neck would be kind of weird IMO.

6. goldtopper

goldtopper Friend of Leo's

Funny they wouldn't include a couple decals as long as you are buying their neck?

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied

Huh? This poster has already said the neck is not Fender.

I think Coral Caster is a great name.

I'm already lying to the ladies about my age, about my weight. I can't be lying about the genuineness of the neck on my guitar. Ya gotta draw the line somewhere. :grin:

8. tcarp

tcarp Tele-Holic

It's good to see someone around here with principles!!!

Tom

9. Al Watsky

Al Watsky Tele-Afflicted

If I build a Tele and it has the licensed neck I put a logo on it.
    It looks correct and its not a misrepresentation of the product.
    In fact you are advertising for Fender.
    If you try to sell it as a "factory finished" product thats when things become
    unethical.
    If I part a clone together from a Fender body, pickguard, bridge , tuners , control plate,
    string tree, neck plate, pickups and put a AllParts neck on there which is Fender Japan, why would anyone object ?
    If on the other hand I represented that guitar as a "genuine" factory Fender and tried to sell it as such that would be wrong.
    If I'm playing my parts guitar and I'm being seen as playing a Fender product , its free advertising for them. I have the option of removing or covering their logo if I choose.
    If I don't ? They should cut us all a check for free marketing services.
    I was doin' a job last week, guy saw my 71' clone, said "hey what year's that" ,I said,"
    Its brand new, great job they do at Fender these days", he went away with a positive impression . Its a win win situation.

10. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

Don't licensed Fender necks have the same shape (headstock) as FMIC necks? I think if the headstock is shaped the same as a Fender Id use a Fender logo. If the neck is an original shape then use an original logo.

11. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I agree that a decal-less headstock looks naked, but putting "Fender" on a homebrew strikes me as being SO unimaginative!

I find much of the fun of a homebrew guitar is coming up with a cool decal! My old P-bass with the Warmoth Tele Bass neck had "Ernie Sharoncaster" (my parents' names) in the appropriate scripts (Brush and Arial, if I remember correctly).

My present bass, "Hoss" (Fernandes Tele body with a Fender Musicmaster Bass neck) still has the Fender Musicmaster Bass decal, but if I was to reshape the headstock to the Tele shape, I'd probably make a new custom decal that said "Hoss"...

Tim

12. Stuco

Stuco Poster Extraordinaire

Why not put a Ferden "coralcaster" decal on there? That way it won't likely be sold as a fender and most people wont notice anyway.

13. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Meister

The Muddycaster

Fender Muddy Waters body and Allparts neck. Mixture of Fender and after-market parts. I think of it as a 'real' Fender Telecaster even though it is a partscaster with some non-Fender parts. I owned one of the MW reissues. Nice guitar as is the Muddy-caster.

Mark

Attached Files:

14. scubadoo

scubadoo Tele-Afflicted

I never understand this. If you want a neck with a Fender logo just buy a Fender neck off ebay. Probably cheaper than Allparts and the like anyway. Seems to be that putting a Fender logo on a non-Fender guitar is just vanity.

Just my opinion though ;)

15. Steinar G

Steinar G RIP

Much more fun to have your own "brand":

[​IMG]

16. newtwanger

newtwanger Blackguardian.

That's what I'm sayin' !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. gitold

gitold Friend of Leo's

I had a old Ibanez strat copy that I put a What-a-caster sticker on.Nobody ever noticed.

18. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

19. Lathem

Lathem Tele-Meister

I'd think that putting one's own logo on a Fender headstock would be more vain. But that's neither here nor there.

I'm firmly in the, "It's your guitar...do with it whatever you like" camp. If you want to slap a Coca-Cola logo on your Les Paul or build a vintage Nocaster replica that's absolutely indistinguishable from the genuine article, it's perfectly fine with me.

20. bigrinwv

bigrinwv Tele-Meister

I'm totally inept at building anything..if I were able to build a nice guitar I'd sure as heck put a decal on it that identified me as the builder. I'm thinking something the size of a pickguard maybe but then those head stock decals are neat. I also just figured ot that I don't know how to spell decal. I keep wanting to put an "e" on the end of it, still feel like I should. Maybe I should have just spelled it both ways and then erybody woould think it it was a typo. No shame in tyos..ha ha.

21. Bearer

Bearer Tele-Meister

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My camera is a crappy one, but the Quixotecaster turned out swimingly!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.