Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Headless Squier Tele?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Kenner Bartos, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Kenner Bartos

Kenner Bartos TDPRI Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Illinois
    Recently I bought an Arctic white affinity Telecaster and upgraded the pickups to EMGs, the pickguard to black, etcetera. I love the guitar, but I'm curious about converting it to a headless telecaster. There are conversion kits on Amazon that have the tuning heads on top of the bridge, instead of behind it like on hipshot products. This means I wouldn't have to do any routing just to be able to tune the guitar. At this point, I just need opinion on whether it's worth it or not.

Pros: no headstock = shorter guitar, which is great because I leave for college soon and need to save space.
    More balanced, less neck dive.
    Unique instrument.

Cons: already have $400 into this guitar, if I mess up I'm taking a bit of a loss.
    Tele abomination(?) Not sure on this one.

So far I'm on the fence. Any advice or opinions are appreciated.

2. logankolarick

logankolarick Tele-Meister

May 23, 2017
    Tennessee
    I don't think a five inch difference on the length of a guitar is going to get in the way of anything in a dorm. None of the Teles I've owned have neck dive, they're pretty well balanced. Although I've never owned a Squire one. $400 is a lot in a guitar to do something that may or may not work.

The only thing I could understand why you would want to do this is to have a unique instrument. But, I'd recommend doing something a little less "tele abomination-y". Maybe do a racing stripe, or re finish it in a weird color.If you are dead set on doing it, Then do it. Just know, it'll be a lot harder to sell the guitar later on if your tastes change. Good luck to you. Let us know what you decide to do!

Ira7 likes this.

3. DonM

DonM Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Henderson,NV/SLC,UT
    No, don't do it. I have a 2011 60th Anniversary MIM Tele and I love it. There's no neck dive. You'll ruin a good guitar, but that's my personal taste. I hate headless guitars.

Fiesta Red and Ira7 like this.

4. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    [​IMG]

5. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

Don't do it. Look for a headless/travel guitar.
    Or put together one of those Solo Music Kits.

Fiesta Red likes this.

6. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Midwest, USA

7. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Nyet.

Fiesta Red likes this.

8. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Sep 24, 2004
    Endicott, NY
    I'd vote NO.

Other than "unique guitar," none of the PROs make sense to me.
    Do you really experience neck dive?? The only Tele I ever picked up that had any hint of neck dive was a Thinline - and even that wasn't much.
    And I'm not sure what space you'd really be saving by simply removing the headstock.

It's a Telecaster - you can store it anywhere and nothing bad will happen. :lol:

Biggest reason - you love the guitar.
    Will you feel the same after the "conversion" (= a very different instrument)?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.