Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Head Cabinet Build design help...

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Huddy, Apr 15, 2018.

1. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    That looks good if one is in the monochromatic mood. ;) I have a greys based snakeskin tolex that would balance equally.

Let me toss this here as well, texturing techniques for metal,

https://www.interweave.com/article/jewelry/helens-7-favorite-ways-to-texture-metal/

[​IMG]

The pattern scratching method remind me a little of Gigolette guitars tops, another idea in itself.

[​IMG]

You could also just contact cement on a textured material onto the metal and clear over if needed. Something contrasting to tolex.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018

2. Huddy

Huddy Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2016
    Newport News, VA
    Another thing I need to be mindful is making sure to have the back side of the cuts on the inside of the cabinet. My dado seems to always have the slightest bit of tearout regardless of what's behind it.

3. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Meister

Apr 3, 2018
    victor,ny
    I use them on small heads all the time. You need the right corner blocks. They apply much more even pressure than clamps if you set things up right. Good luck with it

4. Huddy

Huddy Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2016
    Newport News, VA
    I love that gray tweed but I'm thinking of going stain just for simplicity sake. Pushing the limits on my abilities as we speak...

5. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Meister

Apr 3, 2018
    victor,ny
    tear out can be managed by backing up your piece with a sacrificial piece of thin mdf

6. Huddy

Huddy Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2016
    Newport News, VA
    Yeah I knew (in the midst of ratcheting) there was something like that that was needed. Obviously my macgyver mode instincts didn't pan out this go around.

jimgchord likes this.

7. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    Hmm. I disagree. I think it goes with a lot of things. Guild built an amp that had a grey tolex on it, with I think a wheat grill cloth that had a decent pop to it.

But I think it would look great with several colors. All are out of the ordinary and quite a ways away from ole timey tweed. Here's a few examples:

Red Levant

White Levant

Rough Orange

Navy Levant

My favorite would be Orange or Navy, but there's something about the Red that would probably pop nicely. Just a thought.

I also like the idea of paper faceplates that @Snfoilhat suggested. Options are limitless then.

8. JuneauMike

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    Your joints are tight to begin with, moisture from the glue will cause them to expand and be worse. Hitting them with a file works well too. If you are going to tolex it, you can be a bit more aggressive with the file. I like that your joints are a little proud of the mating surface. They'll sand down nice and flush when you're done. Better to be too long than too short in that regard.

9. Huddy

Huddy Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2016
    Newport News, VA
    I figured that it'd be better to have the stick out on the first go round... Easier to take away than to add. Is a flush trim bit on a router table okay? Risk of tear out too great?

10. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Meister

Apr 3, 2018
    victor,ny
    It's only going to want to tear out on the exit side. Just run that little part backwards

robt57 and JuneauMike like this.

11. JuneauMike

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    If I were to use a flush cutting bit, I'd go easy on it. Trim excess but still leave it kinda proud. Then I'd sand it down to flush. Also, router bits are bastard-coated bastards who are constantly trying to ruin your work. So if its not too much trouble, I'd make a couple of test corners to try it out on just to make sure before diving into your nice cab.

Oops, I missed your earlier post where you committed to stain the cab. Nevermind:

But remember, its wood that will likely be tolexed. So putty is your buddy. ;)

th.jpg

12. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Yep.

[​IMG]

They put tolex on pine cabs for a reason. Unless this is a stationary home guitar room head that won't get bumped and bruised, some rethinking may be in order. If it is a home guitar room cab, I'd have chosen wood a little higher up the Janka scale personally.

JuneauMike and Huddy like this.

13. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Meister

Apr 3, 2018
    victor,ny
    Fancy

14. Huddy

Huddy Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2016
    Newport News, VA
    That IS fancy. Totally forgot that it doesn't really matter about the corners if I use a round over bit like I was planning. I agree you're totally spot on about wood choice with the dings... But yeah it's just a little 5-watter to putz around with... Not likely to really go anywhere.

15. JuneauMike

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    That looks like the kind of thing I'd dig out of my tool cabinet five years later and wonder what the hell it does and why I bought it. Ha.

16. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    LOL, I have three or four of those strap clamps with the corner blocks. I use them all the time. Love 'em! But, I fiddle with wood for a living.

The first thing I thought when you showed the corner dings and stuff was, time for the router and roundover bit. In all honesty, your little cab looks pretty good, nothing to be ashamed of there.

JuneauMike likes this.

17. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Or just ad hock one in ten minutes with scrap and a bike tie down... Use those between bout cuts for your jigs etc.

18. JuneauMike

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    As I examine it, you could probably also cobble together the corner grabbers by cutting longitudinal sections out of 2 inch PVC pipe. You could even dremel some oval strap holes out of the remaining material.

19. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jan 12, 2013
    Virginia Beach, VA

20. JuneauMike

May 5, 2015
    Alaska

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.