Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Head Cabinet Build design help...

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Huddy, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Huddy

Huddy Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2016
    Newport News, VA
    Quick opinion on something if y'all don't mind... I got and built one of the Mod102 kits a while back... Before I start my 5F2 build I wanted to take a stab at building a head cabinet for the Mod102. I just did the basic finger joint pine. Joint fitment is pretty snug... I'm worried that it might be too snug.

I can't decide what to do with the front. The battleship gray is so ugly and doesn't really go with anything except black tolex and that's a stretch... I'm borderline thinking wooden front panel a la trainwreck but I don't know if I I have the skills for that - nor am I sure that the pots will allow it.

I pretty much have a blank slate, nothing is glued yet - just mocked up, so I'm definitely open to suggestions...

Thanks in advance!

IMG_3953.jpg IMG_3952.jpg

2. corliss1

corliss1 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Sep 13, 2008
    Lansing, MI
    There's several places that will do custom faceplates. Send in your measurements, wait a couple weeks, and BAM - it shows up in your mailbox all done. Not a cheap option necessarily, especially for a one off, but you can do whatever you want with the design and it would be thin enough for pots to work.

3. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Krylon Wrinkle Paint?

502772504.jpg

nosmo, jondanger, oldfish and 4 others like this.

4. sds1

sds1 Tele-Holic

May 4, 2017
    Orlando, FL, USA
    That Krylon wrinkle paint looks nice, or I've had great luck with Rust-oleum Hammered Paint -- it really holds up nice.

Huddy likes this.

5. Sweet Lou 275

Sweet Lou 275 Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2016
    Washington
    Thumbs up on the hammered finish. Looks very cool. I build my cabs out of free pianos. Excellent wood and already seasoned. I usually take any plate decals I can and mount it to the face. I'd just do a filler piece on the front above the chassis and give the chassis a paint job.

6. Huddy

Huddy Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2016
    Newport News, VA
    The wife used the rust-oleum on our mailbox and turned out surprisingly well.. Don't know how i didn't think of that! +.... FREE LABOR and Brownie Points for including her in a project! WIN/WIN!!!

7. Huddy

Huddy Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2016
    Newport News, VA
    Plate decals?

8. Sweet Lou 275

Sweet Lou 275 Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2016
    Washington
    I use the metal plates from off the soundboard with the manufacturers name and stuff on it. Very cool look and easy conversation starter.

9. Huddy

Huddy Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2016
    Newport News, VA
    Pics please... I still have no clue what you're talking about but I'm very intrigued.

10. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2015
    Idaho
    That looks really sharp! I think I just found an idea for one of my project amps.

11. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    Gray chassis looks o.k., would be fine with British Racing Green tolex, or maybe even something blueish.

12. schmee

schmee Tele-Afflicted

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    Go with Grey Tweed if you can find it. I have some out there I bought many years ago in a Hollywood prop surplus shop. It would look really classy. Or as someone showed, that Hammerite spray finish comes out real well and trouble free.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018

13. Snfoilhat

Snfoilhat Tele-Meister

Apr 8, 2016
    Oakland, CA
    I have had success with shellacked paper face plates. It's similar graphics work as you would do with screenprinting or engraving, but the materials are just a few dollars. Trickiest part is clamping while the glue dries so that the paper doesn't wrinkle or slide. The shellac has to be well cured first.
    IMG_1622.JPG
    IMG_1641.JPG
    IMG_1697.JPG
    IMG_1485.JPG
    IMG_1886.JPG
    IMG_1716.JPG

RodeoTex likes this.

14. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Meister

Apr 3, 2018
    victor,ny
    You could veneer it

Attached Files:

15. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Meister

Apr 3, 2018
    victor,ny
    Or paint it with epoxy paint

16. schmee

schmee Tele-Afflicted

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    You can also get a custom faceplate made pretty cheap. Here's one I had made for a PR project:
    [​IMG]

teletimetx likes this.

17. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Meister

Apr 3, 2018
    victor,ny

Attached Files:

18. Huddy

Huddy Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2016
    Newport News, VA
    Glue up was more troublesome than I had anticipated... Regrouping at HD this afternoon to try again.

Problems - joints too tight. Not enough clamps.

19. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Meister

Apr 3, 2018
    victor,ny
    Yea too tight is no good. I find that 2 ratchet straps are much easier to work with than 8 clamps

20. Huddy

Huddy Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2016
    Newport News, VA
    I tried to finagle ratchet straps but that was some moving/packing and they just weren't well suited for this application size wise.

1523899911487.jpg 1523899921064.jpg

1523899892561.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.