He was Eddie today... scam alert

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DrPepper, Apr 25, 2019.

1. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

So far we've had Jim, Paul, Rob (all the same guy) in the past weeks calling us soliciting donations for the National Policeman's Fund... Today, he was Eddie, I answered with hello Jim and told my mother 'he's Eddie today...got a quick goodbye.

FWIW, the National Policeman's Association does not solicit for donations by phone.

2. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I got one too. Can't remember the name he gave, but he was very pushy.

Yesterday I had a guy with a Indian accent telling me that there was a problem with my disability payments from SSA and wanted info over the phone. I told him that if he knew that I was on disability and my phone number, he should know all the info he was asking for, he hung up.

2 days ago while I was on my computer, I had that old call about a virus on my computer and I needed to give him all my info so he could fix it. I told him that scam was as old as the internet. He hung up, also had a Indian accent.

I guess I'll be hearing from a Nigerian Prince in need of funds tomorrow.:lol:

My wife has had 2 phone calls from a Shebly County(Memphis) inmate. Weird stuff going on.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  3. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

I don't get these calls since I turned the volume down to zero on my home phone some years ago and filter all incoming calls on my cell phone via voice mail. Prior to that it was ridiculous, you could spend all day telling these maggots to get stuffed.

Zepfan likes this.
  4. Zepfan

I used to play around with them when they called for awhile, but it's been a long time since I have had these type calls.
    I ones I've been getting lately have been the ones were they want you to sell things over the phone for them and make a thousand dollars a day.
    Guess they like to cycle the call types.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  5. Chunkocaster

I kept a loud whistle next to the phone just waiting for these scammers to call and try it on.
    Answer in a soft quiet voice, then let them have it with the whistle.

6. Zepfan

Compressed air horn maybe?:twisted:

7. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Poster Extraordinaire

You need a bassoon my friend!!

Chunkocaster likes this.
  8. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I used to love twisting their words around in circles until they hung up on me. :D

Treadplatedual likes this.
  9. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

change your phone number dude

Zepfan likes this.
  10. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Only reason I answer my phone is when I'm expecting a call. All bells and alerts are turned off, cept my alarm. I treat it like it's a landline. I might answer it if I'm home, otherwise leave a message.

11. Chunkocaster

Not answering my phone fixed the call harassment but now my local grocery store has a seven day a week rotation of different "charities" all harassing everyone at the entrance to the store. I'm amazed they receive any money. Seven days a week non stop and there are always two full time employees stationed there from each "charity". Occasionally they are double booked and there are two "Charities" working in stereo.

I'm all for real charities that help good causes but who are the real charities these days? It's too hard to tell. These guys don't just want a small donation either. They want your credit card details so they can bill you for monthly donations.

Zepfan and stratofortress like this.
  12. preactor

preactor Tele-Meister

I won the Jamaican Lottery! Never been to Jamaica or played the lottery. For only $500 they would send my winnings to me.

13. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Holic

I screen my calls. If it’s an unfamiliar number I don’t answer. If someone wants me they can leave a message, they never do.

DFB1 and Uncle Bob like this.
  14. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

2 days a go the phone rang my kid answered and the voice said," Hi can i talk to the man or woman of the house ?" my said "NO: and hung up , I love that kid!

15. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Afflicted

Our phone numbers are from three states ago. In addition to all the typical robocalls from Florida or whatever, I get a bunch from the same area code and prefix as my phone number. Yeah, like I'm gonna answer that. :rolleyes: Maybe my exwife that I not only forgot I had (I've never been previously married), but apparently forgot that we went to go get cel phones together about 20 years ago.

I don't answer any calls I don't recognize. Period.

16. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Afflicted

I use the 'don't accept' button heavily, particularly when driving. I suspect that whatever roboscam system they use registers that as a 'hit', because it certainly doesn't stop them from trying multiple times daily.

17. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

We still have a land line, incoming phone numbers pop up on the TV screen when we’re watching something, but we haven’t had any phone besides our cell phones in 8 yrs or so.

Maybe we should change that ?

Or maybe not.

18. Treadplatedual

Treadplatedual Tele-Meister

Be very careful with these, many of them are sophisticated Voice Response Units. If anyone ever calls you and you don't know them, NEVER answer a question with "Yes." They can take that recorded "yes" and splice it into any number of illicit sentences, then leave you little way to dispute what you've been charged because, after all, you said "yes" to that weekly 89.95 bottle of man-growth-pills.

Uncle Bob and nojazzhere like this.
  19. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I subscribed to NOMOROBO several years ago, and the computer generated calls dropped WAY down. (after one ring, of course) But the telephone scammers have apparently found ways around the NOMOROBO software, and they're coming through more frequently. I just let the answering machine handle them, they usually don't leave a message. One who did (and I saved it on my machine) is all "gobbledy-gook" Chinese.....it WAS good for a laugh.

20. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

Did they give up, or call you every 5 minutes for the rest of the day?

---
    I've done sales by phone, and customer service by phone. Using an alias is the usual thing when doing a job where somebody might ask for your name. I don't think people doing website chat customer service use their real first names or real photos either. You don't want your work to follow you home.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.