Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Hazy hardware

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by imstump94, Dec 1, 2018.

1. imstump94

imstump94 TDPRI Member

Dec 1, 2018
    Arkansas
    Brand new member here. Just received some new hardware from guitarfetish. I got a Wilkinson short bridge and a control plate, both in black. They both feel solid, but they both seem to have a "haze" on them. It's almost like a pickguard with the plastic still on it, but I can't find any obvious spots to peel it if it's there. Has anyone else bought these parts from them or anywhere else and run into this? Thanks.

2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    I once bought a chrome control plate from them. If I remember correctly, it was in a plastic envelope/sleeve.....don't remember any plastic "coat". Have you tried buffing yours?

imstump94 likes this.
  3. imstump94

imstump94 TDPRI Member

Dec 1, 2018
    Arkansas
    Thanks for the reply. I did try to buff them a little, but no change. They did have to travel through quite a bit of rain over the last couple of days, so maybe they just need to acclimate a little. Haha. I may just give it a few days to see if they clear up. Thanks again.

4. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Nickel develops a haze which can be easily polished off using silverware polish rag.

imstump94 likes this.
  5. luckett

luckett Friend of Leo's

Jun 14, 2011
    Sell them as relic parts for triple what you paid for them.

Chicago Matt and imstump94 like this.
  6. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

Dec 19, 2011
    Merseyside UK
    The black finish Sung-Il use on their "Wilkinson" products is flat and hazy.
    Gotoh's Cosmo Black is much shinier.

7. imstump94

imstump94 TDPRI Member

Dec 1, 2018
    Arkansas
    GuitarFetish responded to my question (on the weekend, even) and said to wipe them down with a clean cloth and WD40. Took a little more than a wipe down, but it worked great. Just FYI to anyone with the same issue.

eallen likes this.
  8. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Holic

Jun 17, 2008
    omaha
    when you buy the cheapest hardware available on the planet, you get the cheapest hardware available on the planet.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.