Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Having a dilemma.....Would you trade?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by ReaL Madras, Sep 18, 2017.

1. ReaL Madras

ReaL Madras Tele-Afflicted

Apr 8, 2012
    I have a 2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio in that worn / faded cherry finish that I don't really play and have been going to trade it a couple of times, but whenever I take it from the gig bag I sort of soften to it and think that I'll just keep it as it feels nice in the hand.

Anyhow a gentleman wants to trade me the following for it:

- Gibson Melody Maker Special in Satin Yellow
    - Gator Bone Pedal board
    - Power supply
    - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
    - MXR Phase 90
    - Cry Baby 535Q Wah

Would you go for the trade?

2. Rostlund98

Rostlund98 Tele-Meister

Jun 28, 2013
    USA
    Personally I wouldn't do it. If you wanna trade it I would say you should look to swap it one for one (maybe with a little cash changing hands) for a guitar you like and would play often.

Ooba Tooba likes this.

3. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Holic

May 23, 2011
    Alberta, Canada
    Not a chance! You want to trade a guitar that you admit that you 'soften to' and one that feels nice to play, for a box load of someone else's 'spring clean up' surplus odd and ends?

The Gibson Studio Studio line is a series of excellent guitars, that deserve something better than a gig bag too. Treat the guitar to some respect. Make sure it gets a good cleaning, a nice set-up, a new set of strings and a new or decent used hard shell case. Only when you give the guitar the respect it deserves, will you realise what a fine instrument you have there.

Remember also that 'The Studio' is only a bit of binding and some other cosmetic bling away from being a very expensive guitar.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017

4. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Tele-Afflicted

If you had said that you just couldn't bond with the LP and never played it, I'd say make the trade.

But it sounds like you like the LP. I'd hold off on trading it for just anything and wait for something you really want to come along - and if that point the return is at least as good as what you're letting go, then trade it.

- D

5. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Mrs. Obsessed has a faded Cherry Gibby LP Studio that is an awesome player and I love the neck. Probably the best LP I ever had in my hands. However, at this point in my life, I have always wanted a Gibby Melody Maker Special, so that would be a good swap for me.

Yeah, I know. No help.:rolleyes:

6. Sean_D

Sean_D Tele-Meister

Jul 12, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    Do you need all that cra..., err..., stuff?

7. ReaL Madras

ReaL Madras Tele-Afflicted

Apr 8, 2012
    Thanks for the responses, I decided against the trade.

gitold and jimmytheshoe like this.

8. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I think you made the right choice, because I don't want a yellow guitar. :D

SecretSquirrel likes this.

9. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jul 2, 2015
    PNW USA
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:

10. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Holic

Jun 13, 2010
    selden, ny
    Good choice!!!

11. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    Yeah, the math doesn't add up well on that trade. I'm also not a big fan of trading for a bunch of stuff I don't really need or want just to make up value.

12. brobar

brobar Tele-Holic

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    Play it MORE! The more you play it, the more you'll know if it is a keeper or not.

13. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Go on youtube and find the 'joe walsh gibsonuk' setup videos and follow along with him, especially the #5 and #6 ones on pickup adjustments. He takes an average sounding guitar and makes it amazing.

puddin likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.