Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Have you ever tried a vintage Fender? How did they compare?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by soma89, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2005
    N. Cal.
    I own a refin '53 Tele which has all its original electronics. I own, and have owned many other Teles over the years. The '53 clearly has the strongest, most microphonic pickups of any Tele (or Fender of any kind) I've ever owned. Big, powerful sound that nails Roy Buchanan's tone, if I want. It also has a great, soft V neck that is a pleasure to hold. But the '53 also has a neck pocket which isn't tight like modern Teles and string ferrules which are not perfectly aligned. Fit and finish are not up to modern Teles I've seen, yet the the guitar sounds better than all my other Teles. This may not be an unusual account. IMG_0541.JPG '53 on the right

2. Mother Earth

Mother Earth TDPRI Member

May 13, 2016
    Dirty Jersey
    I don't have much experience with vintage guitars, but I've played two vintage or at least older Telecasters.

One was from either the 50's or 60's, in a music store. The neck was a soft V shape, chunkier than today's necks. It had obviously been played a lot, as the finish on the neck and body were quite worn. The feel of the neck seemed quite "soft", like the wood had aged and gotten lighter in feel. The tone of it had a sweetness to it, as though any edges in the sound had been worn smooth. And, since it was quite old and worn, it felt nice, like a broken in pair of boots. I'm not sure how vintage Teles might have felt when they were brand new; I think this one just felt very nice partly because it was old and worn in. The action, sound, and playability were all very good though.

The other was a black Tele from the 70's with a thick as hell poly finish. It felt like a piece of **** and it was really heavy. Everything about it felt kinda cheap. It sounded very tinny and sterile.

3. Crashbelt

Crashbelt Tele-Meister

Mar 15, 2017
    Cambridge England
    I have a 66 Custom Tele and a 65 Strat. I love the vibe of having them but in all honesty can't say they're better than modern equivalents when I've A/Bd them.

I do have 59 and 64 335s and they kill modern ones including the more expensive NOS reissues - tone, playability, finish quality everything.

Just imho of course.

Wardpike likes this.

4. lycheelassi

lycheelassi TDPRI Member

Dec 23, 2016
    Berlin
    i totally agree with major gruber. all the vintage ones i played, were very unique characters. there were 1 or 2 flat/not so interesting ones. with the new guitars - does not matter if custom shop or corea - i don't really find that wide variety in sound. they are mostly either ok or not ok.

5. Rooster16

Rooster16 TDPRI Member

Aug 28, 2017
    Canada
    I've never subscribed to the "it's good because it's old" school of thought so didn't give a lot of stock into the hype around pre-cbs guitars. Then I was essentially gifted a '60 slabboard and was blown away by it. That really got me looking into things a bit deeper. Then a couple of months ago I was in a shop that had a beautiful CS reissue. Test drove that one for a few minutes and the salesman pulled out a 66 from the back. Beat to hell and anything but a collectors guitar due to some awful mods over the years. But the chance to A/B the 66 to the CS reissue and there was zero comparison. The CS tele wasn't even in the same league and the 66 was $500 cheaper because it was so thrashed. It's now my #1 stage guitar.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017

6. nixdad

nixdad TDPRI Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Now in Little Rock, AR
    Ach-same stuff...

7. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

There have always been good and bad guitars made all the time. I've owned and played many vintage guitars (Pre-CBS Fenders, Pre War Gibsons and Epiphones and 1949- 1962 Gibson electrics.) My attraction to vintage is only based on specifications of the model of guitar. If a given manufacturer makes a like model with the same specs I will buy that one as opposed to the higher priced vintage model. Acoustics are a little different. A well-cared for 1942 J 45 Banner will tend to have more projection than say 1993 reissue for an example but if the 1993 has the same attributes as the 1942. Well I purchase the 1993.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.