Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Have You Ever Lip Synched ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by zimbo, Jan 23, 2013.

1. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's

Jan 15, 2007
    Rochester, NY
    This may sound like a stupid question but how is it done? Do you just move your lips or do you actually sing and have your mic turned off?
  2. bendecaster

bendecaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 1, 2007
    Dunno. You aren't contemplating this are you?
  3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied

Jun 21, 2011
    I mumble under my breath when my wife is chewing me out, but I try not to move my lips.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Jun 24, 2004
    Anderson, IN
    The only way to make it look right is to actually sing, according to Sam The Sham. Of course, he IS named Sam the Sham...
  6. Telesavalis

Telesavalis Friend of Leo's

From working convention shows with stage entertainment where the singer/entertainer lip syncs I've only seen it done with a live mic. The singer is actually singing along with the track and the mic signal is fed back to the IEM with the recorded track so the singer can hear the live voice and sing along with the track. The FOH is sent only the pre recorded track.
  7. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 15, 2010
    When it's done right, hardly anyone can tell.

8. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 29, 2003
    greenville, sc
  9. emu!

emu! Poster Extraordinaire

I used to do it at choir practice as a kid. If I didn't at least look like I was singing, the nuns would destroy me.
  10. gpasq

gpasq Friend of Leo's

Oct 15, 2011
    Littleton, CO
    I sing my heart out.

But I play air guitar.
  11. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

Apr 2, 2012
    New Mexico
    I never tried. I'm not pretty enough that people just want to look at me. If I want attention, I actually have to earn it.
  12. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 12, 2010
    Norman, OK
    Every Sunday in Church service.

I would not want to torture the person in front of me with my real singing. :lol:
  13. bo

bo Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Back in the mid-'80s when my punk band released its first EP we arranged a gig where, for the last song, the soundman would fire up a tape of the last song from the EP over the PA and we fake to it. About two thirds of the way through it we put our instruments down and walked off stage. Some people weren't initially fooled by it, some were.
  14. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

May 3, 2011
    Yup - did a TV show back in about 1998 where we lip synced three songs. Worse than that, it was just me and the lead singer but one of the tracks had the full band sound. Not very convincing!

Edit to actually answer OP question: yes - we sang but the mics were off. And my guitar wasn't plugged in!
  15. allen082

allen082 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 16, 2009
    fort worth
    I did with my church choir when I was in high school. We sang the national anthem at Kansas City Royals game. They required that we record it before hand and then fake it.

They still had mics set up so we went ahead and sang.
  16. reverbbb

reverbbb Friend of Leo's

Sep 12, 2003
    Just Plano, Texas
    I lip sync'd before it was either cool or uncool. This is a video of me & a friend lip-syncing to "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" way back in 1964. Ignore the music over-dub.

Funny thing is, this was a "rehearsal" before the talent show - as if we needed rehearsal to lip-sync. LOL

17. octatonic

octatonic Poster Extraordinaire

I had a weird experience of seeing someone else mine to my guitar parts once.

I did a guitar session for a well known (in Switzerland anyway) Swiss singer in 2006.
    She did a promotional tour including a TV appearance.
    Normally we (the band that played on the album) would play with her live but for the TV appearance it was decided that:

a) she would mime and
    b) the band weren't 'pretty enough' for Swiss national TV.

So they hired male models to fake playing the instruments whilst pouting and generally carrying on like a bunch of twonks.

It was quite a surreal experience to see some shirtless 19 year old with a washboard stomach and ABSOLUTELY ZERO idea of how to play guitar fake my parts.
    Very weird.
  18. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

May 3, 2011
    That reminds me - I lip synced the Welsh national anthem in school for years. English born but moved to Wales as a child - didn't know a word of it and it was in Welsh! Just had to open and shut my mouth in time!
  19. MrTwang

MrTwang Friend of Leo's

Feb 9, 2009
    London, England
    Many years ago the band I was in was filmed for a TV show and we had to mime because they were filming with only 1 camera and were doing several takes from different angles etc. and wanted to make sure everything was exactly the same tempo for editing purposes. They had the pre-recorded track blasting through the monitors and PA at full gig volume. To be honest, the experience felt exactly the same as if we were playing live (even the singer said it didn't feel as if he was miming). It was really weird at one point where I realised I'd hit a bum note but it still sounded fine.
  20. Jamie Black

Jamie Black Friend of Leo's

I just saw the stooges voices of spring this morning, true comic genius!
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.