Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Have you ever heard your song somewhere?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by thesamhill, Jan 23, 2018.

1. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Meister

Dec 20, 2010
    Harrisburg, PA area
    I guess all the pros here probably have... but it was cool for me :)

I wrote an instrumental tune about 15 yrs ago and recorded it. Recently a friend said, "I didn't realize that was a cover." I said it wasn't, I wrote it.

He played a bit of a movie for me and sure enough, there was the tune as part of the soundtrack- same chords, melody, even same tempo and general instrumentation.

I don't think there is any question of theft or anything. It's not like more than 10 people ever heard it as my recording. And after all, we're all using the same chords and notes as each other, there's gonna be overlap, right?

I think the neatest thing was just a bit of validation- my tune was good enough to be in a movie. Cool!

I honestly don't remember the movie, it was something about a funeral, but every time I try to remember it I get it mixed up with an episode of Bones. It'll come back to me tho.

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I’ve heard songs I played on being played on the radio.
    Twenty odd years ago, when I lived in British Columbia, I did a fair bit of session work.
    One song I wrote got some airplay.
    I got a microscopic royalty check.
    Full disclosure, it was $17 and change.
    I took my daughter to lunch with it.
    Anyways, it was nice, and a little jarring the first coupla times.
    I did a few solos on a medium budget production, and promptly forgot all about it.
    A coupla years later, I heard the outro solo on the radio, and the first thing I thought was “Wow, that guy sounds just like me”.
    Doh!

3. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    3 weddings and a funeral. ? Sue them , they ll pay fake suits just to go away, w a valid claim...

4. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Nov 5, 2006
    Iowa City, IA
    When I was 16, I was writing songs for my band, one being "Mild Mannered Start Spangled Banner." The title was suggested by the kid who sat behind me in geometry. I got all of my titles from him that year. This song had an 8 bar guitar intro. A year later, Weasels Ripped My Flesh by Zappa was released. The was a beautifully lyrical tune on it called Orange County Lumbertruck (or it was an interlude between this and the previous track, Prelude for a Sexually Aroused Gas Mask. Anyway, my little ditty was an inversion of Zappa's little ditty. Being a gigantic Zappa follower since Freak Out!, I felt that this indicated that I was on the right track.

RyCo1983, thesamhill and Teleterr like this.

5. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Tele-Afflicted

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    I was at a dinner/dance party a few years ago, which had a DJ setting some ambiance in the background during the dinner portion--mostly party tunes and a few light pop songs.

After the dinner, during the dance portion of the party, I heard the opening riff to a song my drummer and I wrote--a bluesy funk-rock tune that (hopefully) inspires tailfeathers to be shaken. Sure enough, a few seconds later I heard my voice singing the opening line...

I looked over at the DJ for the first time that evening, and saw a friend of mine grinning from ear to ear...i had given him a couple of our CDs months earlier, and he was DJ-ing the party. Later he said he'd started slipping my music into the parties he was booked to play--the few dance-worthy songs sprinkled throughout our catalog.

He even started playing a slower ballad I wrote, saying, "Here's an opportunity to slip up close to the one you luuurrrvv!"

telestratosonic likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.