Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Have any of you ever "de-shredded" a shred guitar?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by mexicanyella, Oct 11, 2018.

1. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Holic

Jan 26, 2012
    Troy, MO
    I've been noodling around on an early '90s Ibanez EX3700 that a non-playing relative has at my house. It's the same body silhouette as the RG series, with H/S/H pickups, a "Lo-TRS" locking trem and nut, and I believe it's the short-lived top-of-the-line model from when Ibanez tried Korean production out.

The wide, flat-radius bound maple fretboard and big frets feel pretty good to me, and most of the many pickup selector positions sound pretty good to me. It's got some good clean and dirty tones in it. This is confusing me after years of being semi-averse to all things shred and guitars with a bunch of controls and tonal options on them (my favorite guitars have been a couple of one-pickup, one-knob beaters).

Ergonomically, this guitar is pretty nice, is what I'm saying.

I don't like the locking nut sticking up and snagging the side of my first finger on some open-position chords, though, and since I am not a trem guy and do bend strings a lot, the "give" in the trem springs bugs me even after installing all five springs and cranking them down enough to re-string with .011s. This got me to thinking about whether I'd enjoy this guitar with a lower-profile non-locking nut installed and the trem blocked stationary.

Which of course led to me imagining it with a Tele bridge pickup and an RG-shaped custom pickguard, and maybe a middle-pickup delete, and maybe a different neck pickup that was lower in output, and a three-way toggle instead of the 5-way blade-type switch, and...

So in conclusion, what I'm asking is, if you've ever re-purposed a shred-equipped guitar because you basically liked the feel of it, with simpler appointments for non-shred playing. Got photos and/or anecdotes? If so, I'd love to see and/or hear about it!

2. Trow

Trow Tele-Holic

Jan 6, 2010
    Utah
    Kinda. I turned a cheap Ibanez into a punk guitar. I removed the neck humbucker, switched the bridge humbucker to an SD Invader, removed the switch and painted in black. So it’s a little less shred. I’m still not a huge fan of the neck, but it’s just a straightforward power chord machine.

Edited for picture. View attachment 552748

3. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    no...cause back off volume and all the tones of a less hot pup are there..my ibby out strats my strat for strat style tones. If you have Ibanez V type pups..i cant find anything better than them.....block the trem and you have reg guitar if ya want

Jakedog likes this.

4. tpaul

tpaul Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 18, 2003
    Vermont
    Don't do it. That guitar is wholly evil. It cannot be used for good. You may start off as the master but it will ultimately corrupt your soul as it exerts its pernicious influence. Eventually it will become the master and you will find yourself a quivering, crawling slave to its will. You might as well just go out and buy black nail polish and a pentangle T-shirt right now.

Get rid of it, man, for the sake of all that is holy!

duzie likes this.

5. Mouth

Mouth Tele-Holic

Feb 13, 2018
    U.S.
    "I cut all the points off my mockingbird." Has a poetic ring to it.

They were feeling kind of long

kookaburra likes this.

6. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Nov 11, 2012
    Madison, WI, USA
    Just play a Tom T Hall song on it.

7. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    90's japan Ibanez 420sc S Classic...has coil split...SD neck and custom bridge wired to 8.5 ohms built it this way for non metal songs on set and for strumming full chords..the bridge is the most comfortable for placing hand on it and it splits coils for twang or quack if ya need it..the neck is so easy and body is thin. Took time to match pups for some great combined sounds for rhythm strumming..has 25.1 scale..its comfortable. SSC420.jpg

Jakedog likes this.

8. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Meister

Nov 27, 2017
    USA
    Quick search and I found this, Ebanol nut.

Never done it and I don't know how the FR nut gets in your way, but I've had FR equipt guitars for a very long time.

In the video, he pulls out the whole Floyd trem in addition to the nut. Were it me, I'd try the new nut and leave the trem unit installed and block it or deck it, which ever your prefer. BTW, the hole in left in the his guitar is amazingly ugly.

Also, the guy in the video complains about restringing Floyds. I think they are easy. I run the strings backward, ball end at the tuner. Been doing it forever and it's actually faster IMO.

Is there anything other than the FR that make's it a 'shred' guitar in your view?

bftfender likes this.

9. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Sep 20, 2005
    Kansas City
    That would be an interesting project - but you would probably spend more time, effort and money than if you just say built a non-shred guitar from the ground up with a similar neck profile.

10. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Holic

Dec 24, 2004
    Middle America
    Yes, as soon as I started to “play” it ...

11. AngelDeville

AngelDeville Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2007
    Albuquerque
    These are my guitars for country and western music....

Country

[​IMG]

Western

[​IMG]

12. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin

I have a jackson dinky someone gave me that I put a tele neck pickup on with a splittable bridge humbucker. I also added a pickguard for looks. It's too acoustically thin to twang, imo. Granted, my electronics choices were cheapo bottom of the barrel, but I really think there's just not enough mass to it. Trying to get twang gets thin brittle harshness.

On the other hand I fixed a friend's westone, and it sounded pretty ok. It also had some weird alternative to a floyd where the microtuners pushed on little bars that could be manipulated to work like string benders. If that one were mine, I think it'd be worth trying to get to sound like a telecaster.
    It's neck was modern, but not too flat. I think some of the really flat necks are partially responsible for the thin sound they tend to have.

13. duzie

duzie TDPRI Member

Jul 8, 2017
    Nw New Jersey

14. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Holic

Jan 26, 2012
    Troy, MO
    The locking nut's fretboard side (as opposed to headstock side) has deep string notches cut in sort of a little "wall," which I guess is the actual nut. The metal sticking up between the high E notch and the edge of the fretboard sticks up enough that it is fighting for space with my hand on some open-position chords. I have some sausage-like fingers. I could probably address this problem by doing some careful filing. Or maybe with my 4-1/2" angle grinder.

I watched that video this morning right before starting this thread, actually. I thought it looked like a pretty cool guitar, but the floating trem hole is pretty in-your-face. This Ibanez has a similar rout behind the trem hole.

I've never tried the ball-end-at-the-tuner idea...but I will. Thanks! I have been storing this thing for a couple of years and don't play it that much, and the new set of .011s I put on it a year or two ago still sound and feel pretty good to me. But when the time comes...

What makes it a shredder...well, it's got that Ibanez RG shape, but I'm okay with that. I associate it more with Dave Navarro on the "Stop!" video than with "She's only seventeeeeeeeeeen....". The 5-way H/S/H configuration is busy and overequipped for my tastes and playing approach. I wish it was a hardtail, but it sounds okay to me and I could probably live with the trem if it were blocked. Hey, I'd have fine AND coarse tuners. Can't really deck it, because of the floating rout, but if I blocked it at the right height I guess it'd be the same effect.

It also has a translucent red finish with some kind of flame maple action going on...not sure if that's a veneer or a photographic printed image like Fender's "

joe_cpwe likes this.

15. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Yeah, Dave Navarro playing an RG 570 in the video for "Stop" was my reason to buy the same model.
    ibanez.jpg
    With both of them I had the Floyd Blocked so it could only go down.

The Stickered one had EMG pickups and I was surprised that the one with the stock pickups ended up sounding not really all that different.

I had to sell both of them and I miss them.

Oh and guess what, Dave is back playing Ibanez.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.