Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Has The Tech of a Famous Player Ever Become a Famous Player?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bones, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    It seems like in order to be a pro touring guitar tech, you would have to be a pretty good player to begin with and have great technical abilities. Added to that, you have access to amazing gear and the ability to study great players every night.

So has any tech ever gone on to stardom, or is this a job for older guys who already had thier shot and missed the mark?

2. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Tele-Holic

Feb 26, 2017
    Manchester UK

3. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    How famous?

Brian Henneman was a tech for Uncle Tupelo ( and sometimes go on stage with them).

Now he fronts the Bottle Rockets. One of my all time favorite bands. Killer player, singer and writer.

4. pondcaster

pondcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    Beat me to it!

Only one that came to my mind.

Love Henneman!

Cool thread topic, interested to see other responses.

MilwMark likes this.

5. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Meister

Jun 17, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    Not sure if they qualify as famous but the guys that formed Coroner were roadies for Celtic Frost. Probably before CF could afford a separate guitar tech...

6. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Holic

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    Noel Gallagher toured as a guitar tech for Inspiral Carpets.

He said he didn't really know what he was doing, and one night in Japan the guitarist's MIDI unit started acting up. So, he punched it with his fist until it started working again. So yeah, I think that was a very educational experience for him in regards to forming Oasis.

7. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    TigerG and Tdel10 like this.

8. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    Oh and don't get caught up tooooo much in the gear aspect, some one not long ago posted a quote from a A list tech who when asked "what's your favorite guitar?" replied "any that I don't need to tune" Clapton's long time tech has a strict policy of never playing any of EC's guitars outside of the minimum required to perform his job.

9. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    Sure...I'm a Famous Player in my personal movie reel, adjusting the performance, endlessly :confused:

10. jonrpick

jonrpick Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2014
    Marietta, GA
    xland, Grux, hellopike and 4 others like this.

11. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Tele-Meister

Feb 1, 2016
    Jefferson City, MO
    He was the first that came to mind for me too.

The second was probably Metallica's tech who took over playing guitar for James Hetfield after he got blown up by that pyrotechnic. He may not be "famous," but the dude got to be a touring guitarist for Metallica. That's more than I'll ever do.

Flat6Driver and Ekko like this.

12. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Apr 10, 2015
    Italy and Switzerland
    badfish_lewis likes this.

13. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    Not a guitarist... but it seems to me I remember hearing a story about Nicko McBrain being Iron Maiden's drum tech, and then being promoted to drummer? I may have that wrong... but I think that's what I was told.

Some Allman Bros roadies had a band called Grinder Switch. They did alright for a bit.

14. 41144

41144 Tele-Meister

Sep 5, 2017
    West Midlands, GB
    Taliking of Iron Maiden ...

Michael Kenney is the bands Bass Tech (to HRH Steve Harris, not my cup of tea but they are Rock Royalty) ... he now doubles on keys for them live and in the studio.
    Apparently, when live he prefers to keep his rig back-stage.

15. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Tele-Meister

May 7, 2015
    atlanta
    Jimmy Page, was Jeff Beck's tech, I thought everybody knew that. That's why Beck threw the guitar out of the window.

I think Martha Stewart used to be Keith Richard's guitar tech, but she kept putting the low e string back on and used lemon pledge on the the neck and couldn't make a rum and coke to save her life, so though she did move on to relative fame, it wasn't in the music field so much...

16. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Tele-Meister

May 7, 2015
    atlanta
    from what I hear alot of metal band musicians prefer to keep their rig back-stage if you know what I mean...

41144 likes this.

17. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Holic

Johnny Wickersham was the guitar tech for Social Distortion. When Dennis Danell died, Johnny took over his spot in the band.

I don't know that I'd say he's "famous", but he has definitely established himself as an integral member of the band. I believe he has a signature guitar, or his own line of guitars now. Think he does something with an amp line too.

Ekko and Jakedog like this.

18. aerhed

aerhed Tele-Holic

Dec 24, 2016
    Boulder, WY
    Lemmy was a roadie for Hendrix. Do that count?

19. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 11, 2016
    Jacksonville
    They say Eric Clapton's long time guitar tech was himself a very accomplished player and wonder why he never made it to the stage.

7d6syzmd1upmmpd.jpg

nojazzhere and mnutz like this.

20. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

John Stirrat was also a tech for Uncle Tupelo before he started playing bass with them, then when they split went with Tweedy to form Wilco.

Noel Gallagher was a tech for Inspiral Carpets before he started playing with his brother's band.

JuneauMike and mnutz like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.