Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Has immediately owning the newest iPhone become pretentious?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Peregrino69

Peregrino69 Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2016
    Amsterdam
    Whatchamean "become"?

That being said, if I was offered the latest and greatest for measly $40 I'd go for it. Except that I've heard facial recognition is the only way to unlock the iPhone X... that's a bad idea, IMO.

Mechanic likes this.

2. Peregrino69

Peregrino69 Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2016
    Amsterdam
    Damn you, caught me... I've been GASsing for one since they came out...

Penguinchit likes this.

3. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 23, 2009
    Rocklin Ca.

4. brobar

brobar Tele-Meister

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    Most people don't care AT ALL if you've got the latest and greatest iGadget, Android gadget, or whatever. I can't ever remember a time in the past decade being somewhere and seeing someone using a phone and me taking notice or caring one iota what type of phone it was or how much it cost. $5,000 phone or a $5 phone... 99.99999999999999999% of the people out there won't be impressed or care at all. So when you drop several hundred dollars to a grand or more on a phone, don't do it to impress me (someone you don't know). Don't even do it to impress your friends and family because trust me... they don't care and aren't impressed either. They may be happy for you if you are happy, but they aren't impressed.

IMG_4796.JPG

Don't do it to keep up with the Joneses (they don't care). And don't do it to keep up with the Kardashians (they don't care either).

5. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 22, 2003
    Georgia/Minnesota
    I don't think the price of an object can be pretentious in and of itself. So no, it is not.

6. Recce

Recce Tele-Meister

May 3, 2016
    Northern Alabama
    My old phone was, well, old and not working so I decided to replace it. It was a Motorola or Galaxy something or other. I wanted a larger phone. Samsung had one that was larger but it actually was longer. I went from the Motorola to an I Phone I think 7S Plus. I could not be happier. Easy to use and does everything I want.

If my phone had problems I would upgrade to the most current I could and then keep it as long as it worked.

No, not pretentious to get the latest phone when yours is dying.

7. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Holic

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    So in other words...

tumblr_o0aeptkY0V1shlg0do1_1280.jpg

telemnemonics likes this.

8. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    To pay a 1000 bucks for a phone, the screen would have to be as big as the screen where me and my girlfriend used to go to the drive in movies. It seems that the phone seller is trying to do to the public what I had in mind for the girlfriend.

soulgeezer likes this.

9. Mechanic

Mechanic Tele-Afflicted

I'm still using a 6s. I use it as an audio source, communication, a spread sheet. And reference source. And FB for family. Screenshield and Otterbox protect it. Anything else is ungainly to me. All music is backed up on a SS hard drive. Pics are for before and after.

10. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Does this ever happen to you, if it does, you might be pretentious.

[​IMG]

11. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    A) I love her

B) How many of you have phones that cost more than your favorite guitar or first car?

C) I remember when $1,000 for a disposable item would have been considered way out of line. When did that change, exactly?

12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    That's a fair shot at mindless consumerism, but on closer inspection it's worth noting that feet and pavement have not changed since the last running shoe tech advance.

My concern with buying the most recent product advance is tech problems yet to be discovered.
    Battery tech advances at a different rate from processor advances, and faster more sophisticated processors use more power running numerous features constantly when the phone is not in use.
    So some models end up having problematically shorter battery life than the inferior model they replaced. Then the next gen fixes that problem and others, without much real tech advance.

As The Good Texan pointed out, 16g used to be enough but is now a problem.
    Apps are bigger, more things require an app, more data runs through the internet etc etc.

For me, I take a lot of pictures, and the better camera creates larger file sizes, using up the memory way too fast.
    So I got a bigger icloud acct and now my damn SE runs constantly uploading to the cloud, resulting in shorter battery life.

Re: Verizon moving away from giving us free phones, that is what i was told 16 months ago when i replaced my 5 with an SE.
    But after haggling around with some reps it turned out that they would give me a free phone with another 2 year contract.
    They just don't advertise it that way, I guess because customers don't want contracts and they are structured a different way now.
    What I pay for Verizon service, I want that free phone.
    If they take that feature away then I'd prefer a cheaper carrier thanks.

Not sure it matters to you but the X can be unlocked by a thief by simply pointing it at your face. Your eyes must be open though, so you do have to be alive, sort of.
    If you use apple pay and this is a concern, that might be a factor for some buyers.

13. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    If she liked it, what's your point?

Toto'sDad likes this.

14. hotpot

hotpot Tele-Afflicted

Aug 15, 2013
    Lancashire UK
    It's always nice to keep up with the latest technology but I have a limit as to what I'll spend on it, Certainly not iphone money & as to what others think is immaterial to me.

If they're counting on my consumerism they'll have a long wait.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

15. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Well for one thing, she kissed me!

telemnemonics likes this.

16. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    We con too easy ese!

Toto'sDad likes this.

17. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    "Become" pretentious? It's been pretentious for 10 years.

Signed, Not An Apple Fan At All

That said, your situation screams "Get the new one". If you buy a 7 now, you'll be in the boat you're in now in a year.

18. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Guys on the forum discussing the positive side of paying a thousand bucks for a phone, who champion cheap guitars is somewhat puzzling and amusing.

I guess I'm on the Squier side of phones. You can buy a phone for 50 bucks, and a card for $ 45 bucks a month that will cruise the internet, take pics, send, receive messages, take pics, and call someone when you get tired of everything else. For only $950 more, you can have a custom shop that will dazzle your friends, and they will then call you pretentious! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

soulgeezer likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.