Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Has immediately owning the newest iPhone become pretentious?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Tele-Afflicted

Jeez a bunch of hard asses on here today.

Bigger screen might be an advantage, faster processor, stronger WiFi, longer battery life all MIGHT be an advantage of having the new phone. Better camera is also likely.

I would have thought the bigger screen might be an advantage for some of you old grumps! ...... But hey "get off my lawn"........

Also, very few people here knocked the brand, most people were knocking the cost of the plan or the end cost of the phone....

In DIRECT response to the OP. No I don't think it's pretentious. Most people wont be able to tell if its the latest model without you specifically telling them.

Toto'sDad likes this.

2. MDMachiavelli

MDMachiavelli Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

For what they are asking for the new iPhone, I'm not sure pretentious is the right word......

3. Big Steve

Big Steve Tele-Holic

Apr 24, 2006
    I am not sure, but I will let you know in a few weeks.

4. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    I still use my 5s, which was my first smartphone. I saw one of the big newfangled things and it didn't have an earphone jack, that thems a deal breaker right dare! I use it! Blooming blue-this-that takes 5 minutes and never works right and that sucks if I'm just waking up getting exercise at 6am, don't fail me now!I know one thing, that 5s iphone works better than any computer or whatever I've tried before.

telemnemonics likes this.

5. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Dec 23, 2009
    Rocklin Ca.
    I asked my wife if I can get the new iPhone X............she said WILL SEE OMG thats almost yes.

6. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    That's not pretentious; it's a humblebrag. Just sayin'

Toto'sDad likes this.

7. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    This is my phone:

IMG_0380.JPG

IMG_0381.JPG

I have an iPod to do iThings. My phone is for phone calls.

Now, get offa my lawn!

radiocaster likes this.

8. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Holic

Feb 21, 2013
    Manitoba
    An iPhone has been the only smartphone I've ever had. Got a 4 back in 2010 and then had a 4S, 5S, and a 6. Until two weeks ago when I got a Galaxy S8. There's a learning curve but now that I'm getting used to it I don't miss the iPhone at all. Plus it's already got most of the features of the iPhone X.

9. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    I have an iPhone in my pocket.

I truly have no idea what model it is.

It is a handy little device though...

:)

Toto'sDad likes this.

10. Kingpin

Kingpin Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Here
    I've had an Iphone 5 for almost 5 years. The battery finally died earlier this year and Apple replaced my phone, no charge!! I know the company is often maligned, but that was service above and beyond the call of duty. Heck, I can probably get a few more years outta that thing.

When the time comes for replacement, I'll stick with Apple--though it's likely I won't go for their high $$$, top-of-the-line model. I'm not a power user, and I prefer a small footprint.

11. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2007
    Cambridge, England
    I've never felt the slightest pang of desire to participate in any consumer craze, electronic gadgets or otherwise. As far as mobile phones are concerned all I need is ease of use, wi-fi calling (as mobile reception is lousy where I live) and internet so I can browse or use email if I'm out and about.

As for getting the latest stuff, it's a bit like running shoes. Every year they bring out the latest model and hype it to death and I'm thinking hang on, what was wrong with the pair I bought last year or even three years ago? They worked perfectly well for me and when they wear out I'm just gonna look for a new pair of the same old version and save my money for something else.

12. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Tele-Meister

May 3, 2016
    Scotland
    You are a marketing agency's worst nightmare. Keep it up :)

Mr. Lumbergh and Mid Life Crisis like this.

13. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2007
    Cambridge, England
    Ha - that's something to be proud of!

Reading my post, I sound like a bit of an old git. I am actually interested in new technology (I do a lot of work with hi-tech companies). I just find the whole rampant consumerism thing to be extremely shallow.

14. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    If you have a legitimate need to upgrade your phone, do it. My 6S is still doing OK, so I'll keep with for a while longer, but I don't see why you should be embarrassed to have the newest when you have a legit need to trade in.

15. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Tele-Meister

Nov 22, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    I'm typing this on an "ancient" iPhone 4S that I bought off eBay. It's SO much more useful than the LG it replaced AND because my wife and adult kids are all iPhone users, I'll probably buy a refurbished 6 in a few months.

To the best of my ability I am done with cellphone contracts and financing stuff that doesn't need to be financed.

Sticking to that decision is very easy for phones, much much harder for guitars and gear.

Harry Styron likes this.

16. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

It might be pretentious for some but it's also a tool for many so I don't care. I manage the technology and some operations where there are 750+ people, the place never shuts down, and I'm a member of two boards doing a lot outside of work. For me this is just tools that help get things done.

On X, there are times when a finger print might be nice. OTOH, you'll get more screen per pound. Also, just a 7 Plus remains better than most phones out there.

The big issue re change for me was eating my words re large screens. The skinny iPhones have n't bugged me re carrying. The battery life is superb. Starting last year you got dual cameras that are amazing.

Also on pretentious. Starting last year many more started buying Plus phones. It's common stuff. If you look close you could tease me for the expensive leather Apple case. Otherwise it's just a black phone.

The get off my lawn types will have their opinions. Same for people who might not have a job where a top tier phone is an important tool. Forget them and get what works for or satisfies you.

17. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    I don't care if someone wants the latest/greatest phone. I stay one - two models behind and grab them for free when I can combine it with a plan that works for me. I only upgrade when there is a plan that suits me better.... not when there is a phone that suits me better.

18. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    I think for some people that a phone is certainly a tool. For most...it's a toy.

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with having expensive toys. The pretentious part is calling it a tool if it is, indeed, just a toy.

19. Penguinchit

Penguinchit TDPRI Member

Jul 14, 2017
    Minneapolis
    Go through here and replace iPhone X with Telecaster American Elite and so on down the line, all the way to Squier Bullet and see how many of us really fit. Kind of puts it in perspective when it's something we do cherish and at the same time, don't need.

20. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Dec 23, 2009
    Rocklin Ca.
    ^ well played

Penguinchit likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.