Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Has immediately owning the newest iPhone become pretentious?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Sep 12, 2017.

1. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI
    Break down what the *real* cost of that $40 ($1,000) phone is ... I'll bet you are somehow paying $2,500 for it spread out over three years in tidy monthly payments. They call them 'Smart Phones' because they have figured out how to bill everyone a monthly subscription that can rival a car payment.... and how did that quote go above "here, just take my money"?

I run Android on a $100 phone purchased outside of a phone plan and pay $37 per month for the whole cell/data plan. I'd rather put all that fancy brand money toward a new Tele...

2. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Meister

Jun 7, 2011
    clinton, ia
    Tom Petty used to have a slogan "Sell your computer, buy a guitar". I think he should update that to say "Sell your phone, buy a guitar and amp."

3. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 28, 2006
    Hotlanta, GA

A tool?

4. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Aren't you buying it on installment, then you keep it? $40/mo for 24 months = $960.

(I corrected a typo)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    Pixies2005 likes this.

5. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 28, 2006
    Hotlanta, GA
    It brings out my revulsion for mindless, debt-fueled consumerism. And for the obsessive silliness of fixations and preoccupations with time wasting gadgets and activities.

The financial condition of the household has been in the news a good bit lately, with more than one survey revealing that savings are poor and that most households would struggle to come up with $1,000 in an emergency. But the parents and kids all have smart phones and are on expensive plans, plus they have an expensive cable bundling bill. It's mindless.

Very few people legitimately "need" a cell phone that costs $800-1,000. Particularly when they are broke. But all the cool kids have them, so monkey see, monkey do.

Mid Life Crisis and Guitarteach like this.

6. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    I just got a new LG G4 (yes, I know it's not the latest model) for $0 and simply extended my current plan for another two years. I pay $24 a month for that plan. Apparently, the G4 used to sell for $700, and now Fido is basically giving them away.

7. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    "
    Has immediately owning the newest iPhone become pretentious?"

oui

8. brobar

brobar Tele-Meister

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    Is this that new common core math? ;)

soulgeezer likes this.

9. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    I get your point, but your supposition on total cost isn't accurate. You're paying the actual cost of the phone, period, minus any trade-in value on your previous phone if you trade it in. It is not an inflated, interest-rate bearing loan/line of credit, nor is it "renting" as someone else mentioned.

I completely agree regarding there not being a 12 year old in the world who needs an iPhone at all, and certainly not the latest and greatest. I also agree about the sad state of the general household, and how it's ridiculous for a family living under or even above the poverty line to have a house full of iPhones, Androids, Nikes, Addidases, whatever, if they don't have basic needs and savings covered. I could draw parallels to any number of "time wasting gadgets and activities" that people spend way too much money on.

My point about Apple's brand and quality was that I can buy a Macbook that is 4-5 years old for a hefty discount and still expect it to work well for another 5-6 years, and my 2011 Mac Mini that I also got used at a nice discount is still going strong as a workhorse for everything I do for work, academia, recording, etc... PC's can be had for a lot cheaper, but they're also (in my experience) a lot more disposable. I don't think I've owned one PC that legitimately lasted more than 3-4 years before it needed replacing. That to me is long lasting value by buying Apple, which makes me very brand loyal.

Others' opinions and views may vary of course. :D

10. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    That forty bucks just gets you into the monthly nut. How much is that and how does it compare to the other?

11. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    People are "tribal" about electronics, that's for sure, both pro- an anti-apple. But part of it - I think - is just trying to be helpful. I didn't see any "demeaning" here. Apple products are, actually, terribly overpriced for what they do. If you're just a regular joe doing regular joe phone stuff, the "new iphone" is crazy overkill. I could offer evidence, but whatever - it's a guitar forum. I don't hate Apple users, I'm surrounded by them including the wife.

12. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    Maybe we have different definitions of demeaning where you and I come from. Calling people suckers, stupid, or pitiful qualifies in my book.

telemnemonics and william tele like this.

13. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    What do you mean "has"?

soulgeezer likes this.

14. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Whoa
    Come on and kick me
    Whoa
    Come on and kick me
    (Whoa-oh-oh)
    Come on and kick me-e-e
    (Whoa-oh-oh)
    You got your problems
    (Whoa-oh-oh)
    I got my eyes wide
    (Whoa-oh-oh)
    You got your big G's
    I got my I Phone.... ;)

15. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    I agree too. Though I can't determine the make/model of a phone at a glance (and would have to delve into the settings to even figure out what exactly I have), I can spot idiotic smartphone use without even trying. It's ubiquitous now.

I was at a business lunch at an Applebee's sort of a place with about dozen other folks from a law enforcement training class last month. These outings can admittedly be awkward, but the guy across from me spent most of it playing on his phone. I have no idea what kind of phone it was, but I could see he was playing that candy corn game. I kept thinking, "dude, just suck it up and jump in the standard guns/sports/cars conversations with the rest of us".

16. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

I'd get it. If you are price conscious about he iPhone 8 starts at $699

17. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    I meant 24 months, corrected it. I use rotten core math anyway.

brobar likes this.

18. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Does it look like this?

[​IMG]

telemnemonics and TheGoodTexan like this.

19. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Holic

May 12, 2016
    California
    Is it pretentious to be worried about being pretentious?

telemnemonics likes this.

20. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Being pretentious would be:

I was just saying to the Queen, only yesterday it was, I totally love my new iPhone X!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.