Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Has immediately owning the newest iPhone become pretentious?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Sep 12, 2017.

1. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    About two weeks ago my iPhone 6 started going out. I've tried to get it to limp along, but it's really inconvenient.

Last night I went to the Verizon store to check on getting a replacement. Turns out, I'll get to turn in my current phone, and get an iPhone 7 for no additional charge.

-OR-

...pay about $40... and get a brand new iPhone X when it arrives (which will be a couple of months).

I'm not sure that I'm prepared to be "that guy" that's walking around with a freaking $1000 cell phone. But then, the ~$600 price for a current iPhone is fairly pretentious enough already, I suppose.

2. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Tele-Holic

Feb 26, 2017
    Manchester UK

3. Grux

Grux Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2017
    Clarksville, TN
    No, society is waaaaay past that stage. It's just common these days to get an immediate phone upgrade, but mostly because the "new and improved" phones are really just "recycled and refurbished pieces of crap with terrible software that you have to trade back in before they die!"

4. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    I have had several and I never know which one it is I have I just take what ever is "free" I buy my cases at Dollar Tree/ Five Below and usually just ask some kid what I need. I wouldn't recognize a "X" or anything else, the only ones i could ever identify were those plastic cased "budget" ones that came in the funky colors a few years back, apparently it was a 5c..I wanted one but mine was still deemed "current" so no.

5. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Walking around and playing on your phone all the time is pretentious (to me...I know I am in the minority though) no matter what the model. I personally can't tell one model from the other anyway. I don't even know what model my phone is to be honest...just know it is made by Motorola (I think).

6. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2009
    Central Missouri
    Perhaps, but the phone is just a tool.

Minimalist518 and TheGoodTexan like this.

7. brobar

brobar Tele-Meister

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    I'll do everything I can to make my 6+ last as long as it can. I can't bring myself to pay a grand for a phone when the one in my hand is perfectly fine. I'd rather put that grand towards a guitar.

For $40 I would upgrade in a second. For $999? Hehe... nope!

8. Recce

Recce Tele-Meister

May 3, 2016
    Northern Alabama
    $40 more to get the new Iphone X? Just get it. Skip three take out lunches.

Penguinchit likes this.

9. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Meister

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    At this point a high-end new iphone is purely a fashion statement no different than a Gucci handbag. When my current phone dies I'll buy whatever is well reviewed and costs no more than maybe $250. Last year's budget model already will do everything I need, and I do use the phone for a variety of things.

viccortes285 likes this.

10. William SantAna

William SantAna TDPRI Member

Aug 22, 2017
    Brazil
    Say: "shut up and take my money"

Badger06 and TheGoodTexan like this.

11. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    The people that buy the new iphone every time are the biggest suckers going.
    Congratulations to Apple for making that drug for the wealthy and stupid.

12. TheGoodTexan

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Agreed.

The 16G of storage on my current phone was fine 3 years ago when I got it. But since I've also purchased other Apple products since then, I use my iPhone a whole lot more than I ever did, and 16G is no longer enough.

But I was dealing with that part of it.

Then, two weeks ago, the speaker volume when taking phone calls started to get lower, and lower, and lower... to the point where I can't hear anyone now when they call... so I have to plug in the earbuds to take calls now.

So... phones are tools, and us people can be tools sometimes too.

telemnemonics and J Hog like this.

13. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    The next iPhone is going to be called the "Jones" for a reason ! ! ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

14. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2011
    Stirling, Scotland.
    I would do that deal, in the meantime my iPhone 4s is still doing nicely, will worry about replacing it if/when it breaks.

Vespa_One likes this.

15. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Tele-Meister

May 3, 2016
    Scotland

16. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    I usually get the Galaxy S one version behind.

I also bought a MIM, so go figure.

17. TheGoodTexan

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Yeah, I'm not specifically wanting to "upgrade" my phone. I just need more storage and a working speaker. I don't need any features that are not currently available on my phone now.

18. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Dec 24, 2015
    west of I-10

Going out? That new? serious? How is my 8 year old 3GS still chugging along? Well I guess the battery is down to one day now. Sigh:confused: They just dont build em like they used to....
    Maybe I'll upgrade to a 3 year old SE.

19. TheGoodTexan

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I'm not sure I get your point. It's a three year old phone. Nothing wrong with the battery. The internal speaker is flaking out on me (as I've already said in this thread).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.