Has Home Depot ever come to your house and helped with a project ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mike Eskimo, May 22, 2019.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

”Let’s Do This”

They get me all jazzed up like yeah we can re-landscape the whole backyard or we can put that awful contact sheet glass tile on my backsplash or we can re-wire the garage but -

no one ever shows up !

“Let’s Do This”

I don’t really think they know what that means…:mad:

verb boten and uriah1 like this.
  2. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Afflicted

I think you have to at least let them know when and where(?).

3. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

They have come to my house and helped (and by "helped" I mean they did all the work) with a kitchen renovation, cabinet installation, etc. Is that what you are talking about?

4. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Ever since I had my hip replacement surgery, it's really difficult finding a Home Depot employee to help me, since I have been advised I cannot run because of the risk of damaging my prosthesis. Previously I would spot two of them working at opposites ends of the aisle and call out to the one closest to me that I needed some help. When he ran away (like they always do) I would run after him, then double back down the next aisle over, sprint back just past the second farthest away employee I had spotted, then corner him from behind before he knew I was on him!

Now I wait endlessly for the guy to show up who's been paged to render assistance. I'm thinking they must have a breakroom about 300 feet long somewhere around there. They have self checkout counters that offer more assistance than the live employees! I've often thought a gang of thieves could just back up to the door, and load up a semitruck load of stuff, and no one would even ask them what they are doing, because everyone was leaving on break.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    Wildcard_35 and Chunkocaster like this.
  5. NothingGoatboat

NothingGoatboat Tele-Meister

Cashiers are not the same as the lifting guys... Sometimes they physically cannot lift heavy/medium objects (past injuries). My father worked there but had major back issues. Also the cashiers really don't get paid enough to want to help you.

6. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah. Had Lowes install a water softener. One of the best, cleanest jobs I've ever seen.

7. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Holic

I have had Home Depot contractors do projects. Not the best way to go, usually, but there is some accountability if things go wrong.

Home Depot contracts out the work to subs. A contractor that is truly skilled and has a good reputation will not need a big box store as a middle man, or to take a big cut of the cost. I am sure there are exceptions. But for the store to make a profit, either the customer is paying more, or the contractor is getting less.

Chunkocaster and Prince1999 like this.
  8. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Ikea did but I could not put him together.

9. Prince1999

Prince1999 TDPRI Member

/\ This. Any contractor worthy of being in business doesn't need another layer of fat and overhead on top, taking a cut. Find your own contractor to do the work, let them source out the material of the job from where ever they want. Or buy the materials yourself, and do all of the job yourself, for the savings.

10. Mike Eskimo

11. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I haven't ever thought to ask hardware stores to do trades jobs. I often get annoyed when asking where something is in hardware stores and the assistant starts lecturing me on what is what, options etc when they obviously don't know what they are talking about.
    A lot of failed or pretend tradesmen end up working in hardware stores.
    Why would a good tradesman work for the hourly rate they pay in hardware stores when they could quadruple it working in the trade they claim to be experts in?
    For the free sausages or pancakes they provide in the mornings?:confused:

The other annoyance is a early 20's girl with pink hair disagreeing with you about a certain tool that you have used in your own trade for 30 years because it doesn't coincide with what the half hour in store trade lecturer taught her. :rolleyes:

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  12. GoldDeluxe5E3

GoldDeluxe5E3 Tele-Holic

When Home Depot says "Let's do this" over an installation job, they mean, "Let's bill you" for an installation job. I hired HD to "Do this" on a 4' x 8" window installation two years ago. Their installers showed up ill-equipped, lacking key materials to complete the job, and oblivious as to what the work contract called for. Subsequent promised work appointments were missed without notice. The installers seemed more proficient at arguing in Russian than window installation. It was a circus of delays, phone-tag, and complaining, and empty apologies before the job was done. Sure, HD "Did This", but only after lots of complaining and inconvenience.

"Let's do this - to you".

13. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

14. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

...yeah, but did you mention the free beer and bratwurst?

william tele likes this.
  15. Mike Eskimo

I got an electrician and I got a plumber and they’re both sole proprietorships.

I do everything else.

People forget that the word “let’s” is a contraction of the phrase “let us”.

And when I do have a big project I shout over in the direction of Home Depot and say “hey - are you serious ? Well come on then ! Let us do this !”

And no one ever answers/no one ever comes…:(

boris bubbanov likes this.
  16. Whatizitman

holy heck that's funny :lol:

william tele and Toto'sDad like this.
  17. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  18. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The humor isn't lost one me. I worked in an upscale condo building and had no end to homeowners taking that "Let's do this" slogan to heart. Very seldom did any of it have a happy ending. 100% of those who used my general contractor list did have happy endings. DIY should not be made to look so easy...

Mike Eskimo and Whatizitman like this.
  19. Whatizitman

Definitely. DIY to me means small hobby projects. Nothing more.

20. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Home Depot put a new roof on our friends house.

Then they came back to fix the leaks 3 times. Then I came over and fixed their entryway ceiling.

While they did eventually get the roof to stop leaking, it took months and months and then it took quite a while to get their insurance guy to cut them a check for the damage inside the house.

0422190824e_resized.jpg
    0422190824f_resized.jpg
    0422190836_resized.jpg
    0422190836a_resized.jpg
    0424191125a_resized.jpg
    0424191125_resized.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.