Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Has anyone used Duplicolor Auto Aerosol?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by tcarp, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Kent, OH
    BINS Shellac based primer
    Duplicolor Wimbledon White
    Duplicolor Clear

Waited 45 days to sand it. Took forever to dry. A couple months later, it still smells like solvents when I take it outta the case.

[​IMG]

2. flatfive

flatfive Friend of Leo's

Apr 23, 2009
    Monterey, CA
    Hey Commodore 64 - forget about Duplicolor for a moment --
    that's a gorgeous guitar! I like the color and your hardware
    choices.

Do you have a build thread for it?

What kind of bridge did you use?

3. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Kent, OH
    It's actually a Samick Artist Series JM1. It was hideously ugly when I got it for $80 on Craig's List last year. I refinished it, but everything is stock other than one of the trem pivot points (I ground down some strange bolt from a drum kit) and the pots, switch and jack. I also wax potted the P-90s and gave it a Ron Kirn style fret leveling. It's one of my best players.

Here's a shot of it right after I got it.
    [​IMG]

4. scojan

scojan Tele-Meister

Oct 31, 2010
    Hamilton, Ontario
    Duplicolor clear is known for taking forever to harden. That's why I took some advice and went with Minwax clear lacquer.
    Regardless, you ended up with a nice finish.

5. CoolBlueGlow

CoolBlueGlow Tele-Afflicted

Nov 20, 2011
    Arkansas
    DuPont's lacquer line consisted of two products. "Duco" is (or rather was) their nitro product, Lucite is their acrylic product. You'll have a hard time finding it these days, but it is not impossible. Go to your local automotive finishes place and they'll laugh at you, but they might be able to put you onto some if you act humble and nice.

Personally, I like PPG Duracryl automotive lacquers. You can get it online. It is kind of pricey these days, but shoots beautifully. House of Kolor also has a lacquer product, highly overpriced IMO, but many fancy colors and styles. I also like these guys in New Jersey who sell a lacquer product on eBay called "Starfire". Find it on eBay. I was skeptical, but what I bought shoots pretty good and is very competitively priced...for lacquer.

Finally, let me say again that I mean NO disrespect in my last post to the guys shooting that Duplicolor stuff. Those guitars look very nice in the pictures that are posted, and I really do get that sometimes you have to shoot what you can find and/or afford.

Even more, I'm glad to see folks trying something instead of just giving up and saying "oh well, I can't do that..."

Cheers

6. Shepherd

Shepherd Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2008
    Maple Ridge, Canada
    Thats just because of one guy who mentions it anytime he can. Hear something enough times and it's going to stick in your head. Lots of good products out there. I've had good success with Mohawk who also makes Behlens. It's not expensive, polishes out great and one big advantage for me is that it's easy to get locally.
    McFadden, now made by Seagrave, is also well respected nitro and available at Stew Mac.

7. flatfive

flatfive Friend of Leo's

Apr 23, 2009
    Monterey, CA
    !!

I guess, to be more specific, I should have said that Sherwin Williams is the only lacquer I hear about on TDPRI from a major, mainstream manufacturer, as opposed to a specialty paint maker.

8. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    Sherwin Williams?? Sherwin Williams?? . . someone mentions Sherwin Williams constantly? Who in their Sherwin Williams mind would be mentioning Sherwin Williams every Sherwin Williams time they post something about paint like Sherwin Williams ? Man! The Sherwin Williams nerve…. I wonder what Sherwin and Williams would think about it.

I mention the paint I use because it’s the paint I use… I know it and can speak about it. I’m not a coatings scientist… I don’t know jack about squirting the majority or OTHER goop available out there. But I do know Sherwin Williams Lacquer applied over a conversion varnish (Fullerplast). I try to write about stuff that I at least know a little about.. I just don’t give a rat’s butt about Poly’s, Powder coats, Polyesters, Varnishes, French Polishes, and on and on…. Or other Lacquers for that matter…

When someone has a question or a topic leads to that discussion, I answer using the knowledge I have at hand…seems like a good Idea since so many either repeat junk they have heard on the internet, or just make shi* up…. Those guys seem to get to the outer boundaries of what they know in about two paragraphs before they start repeating themselves or attacking those that have challenged their limited knowledge base…

I would encourage anyone with experience using other products to step up, grab the mike, and let loose… but keep it in a vein that the home user can understand.

And that is the “ticket” … the home user….those guys do not have spray booths with controlled temperatures… do not understand how to use time of pass or distance from work, or “flash times” or different blends of thinners to control drying or “flow” etc. . . or .. or….or….. Hell . . . Many don’t even understand how to use the lights overhead to see the surface of what they just sprayed… I know… I get their emails every day….

They know, “ I don’t like what I got, I want something else… what’s the fastest route to that goal . . . aaahhhh Rattle can…..” these guys don’t care about the technical specs… MSDS sheets… or nuthin’… they wannit on… and back together and twanging…. If they can make it good lookin’ on the way… cool…. Let’s help ‘em not confuse ‘em..

DupliColor…. Dries slow…. Well yeah . . as Lacquers go… and if you spray it under the wrong environment, it slower still … why?? Well none of the paint wizards seem to wanna tell ya it’s because most guys using rattle cans aren’t master finishers…. Yeah I know… big shock, but it’s the truth… so….. rattle can paint will dry faster at, , say 70 degrees and 20% relative humidity than it will at 95 degrees and 85% relative humidity. But get much below 65 degrees at any humidity and the drying slows to a snail’s pace… Nobody’s ‘splaining that are they?

The goop in a rattle can is formulated so that a “finishing challenged” home user will have time to get one pass down, and follow-up with a second before the stuff starts to dry…. If it starts to dry prematurely, you wind up with a finish that looks like Manuel Noriega’s face, that good ‘ol Orange Peal effect. Or to put it another way, it’s formulated so that a home user has a fighting chance of getting a fair to middlin’ coat on whatever the target is.

Further.. the plastic spray tip on those rattle cans is not a Binks, DeVilbiss, Sharpe, or any one of a number of other 500.00 spray guns. It’s a 6 cent piece of plastic… No Fan adjustment, no flow control…. Nothing… it’s. .. push… paint On . . . let go….Paint Off….. dribble all over your fingers…. the fact that a person can get a quality finish out of ‘em at all is a miracle.

My point… guys that know finishing… c’mon don’t “hammer” the home users for using what’s available… they aren’t gonna go pick up a gallon of PPG, McFadden’s, Behlens, or Sherwin Williams, a couple of gallons of a good thinner… blend it to get a wash coat viscosity… then follow up with another blend for interim coats and yet another for the final coats… all this through a spray rig they rented at “tools that barely work for a weekend”… they’re just gonna a shake that rattle can for a few… and give the body a squirt…. They do not have access to a myriad of additives to accommodate the idiosyncrasies of the surface they may be shooting…. Ever try to get a few drops of “anti fish-eye” INTO a rattle can….

If ya wanna help… write a booklet about finishing and give it away… there’s some old fat bald guy in Jacksonville that’s doing that… Hellova nice guy so I hear… ;)

Oh,,, Sherwin Williams was one of the suppliers Leo used... He DID NOT Only use Dupont products... he sourced from a number of paint manufacturers...

Ron Kirn

9. flatfive

flatfive Friend of Leo's

Apr 23, 2009
    Monterey, CA
    Hey Ron, I could be wrong, but I suspect Shepherd
    had someone else in mind. I did when I read Shepherd's
    comment.

In any case, your contributions here are greatly appreciated --
    please continue! One of my favorites was your sharp-dressed
    strat thread.

Thanks for your thoughts on spray lacquer, too.

(BTW, I'm also grateful for the contributions of the person
    I guessed Shepherd had in mind.)

10. Shepherd

Shepherd Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2008
    Maple Ridge, Canada
    Dude, take a deep breath and relax before you keel over. I wasn't referring to you. I don't know what you use nor do I care. I wasn't knocking any product, any forum member, or the choice of product that someone uses. I just mentioned why SW comes up here alot and since it doesn't come in a spray can many cant use it anyway. I don't think that was out of line or why anyone would take it that way.

11. kilbey

kilbey TDPRI Member

Jul 25, 2011
    North Carolina
    Re: duplicolor and nitro

Hello all- I am as amateur as anyone here with refinishes. I recently decided to do a real candy apple red, and for budget's sake, I used duplicolor as a base rather than reranch shoreline gold. I ended up using dupli "driftwood metallic" or some such, then reranch CAR over that.

What struck me was that this particular dupli color went on extremely smooth, and looked factory after one coat. The red over it does what you'd hope-- deep red at one angle, reflective at another. I used reranch or stewmac clearcoat over that.

I have not gotten to fine sanding or buffing, but it looks great for a quick finish by someone with ADD.

Regards,
    Brian

12. fretman_2

fretman_2 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2011
    Mobile, AL
    I'm experimenting with the Duplicolor Metal Specs Retro Red. I sprayed a test area and let it dry for a couple of weeks, then sprayed Minwax clear lacquer over it. The color is fantastic. I can't wait to finish the guitar with it.

13. Jack FFR1846

Jack FFR1846 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 18, 2011
    Hopkinton, MA
    To add as an avid user of duplicolor (and an owner of an HVLP setup and all the stuff to use it), I have done a number of guitars in duplicolor (big can) acrylic lacquer. How do I know it's lacquer? Well, it says "acrylic lacquer" on the can. I used to use their clear over the black. Recently, I figured out that Home Depot sells Minwax clear nitro in a black can, so I bought some. Here's what I can say:

My last 2 guitars were a black tele (my avatar) with black duplicolor (big can for $6) and Minwax nitro clear (big can $8). The Minwax smells so much nicer than duplicolor, which tells your nose (I'm a chemical plant now). It also seems to dry a bit faster. I found that the final finish had less scratches to deal with after my sanding/polishing/more polishing. Maybe it's because I used grain filler and figured out how to really use sanding sealer. The other guitar is perfect match flame red (same as hot rod red). Came out great on a strat that I only roughed the poly surface, filled where it had been bashed, sealed, bin'd and sprayed.

Previous guitars were all black duplicolor. Some cleared, some not.

I'm still learning.

I would LOVE to hear any other Fender color to perfect match color conversions. I know oly white but would like to do a surf green......and don't expect to find it.

Here's the red strat, as I love posting pics when the guitars come out nice:

[​IMG]

14. Rano Bass

Rano Bass Tele-Holic

Mar 26, 2014
    Tijuana/San Diego
    What red is that? It looks a lot like my duplicolor "performance red" painted bass

[​IMG]

15. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Duplicolor Perfect Match rattlecan Toyota Red Pearl, clear coated with rattlecan Minwax
    [​IMG]
    Close-up in bright sunlight, which kind of exaggerates the sparkle:
    [​IMG]
    Had a lot of splatter as previously noted during the process but it all worked out in the end.

Rex

16. fretman_2

fretman_2 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2011
    Mobile, AL

17. rcsutter

rcsutter TDPRI Member

Apr 10, 2014
    Colorado
    May as well add mine in here too. Spray cans, Duplicolor Ocean Blue Metal Specks. It was a pain to put on, had to hold my finger on the button just right or it will sling blobs all over your project. Eventually got a decent finish. I used Duplicolor clear coat on top, two entire cans. It goes on pretty good though, better than the paint. I think I like it better than Deft lacquer too.

It's the only blue guitar in the rack. :)

Attached Files:

18. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Aug 20, 2011
    Canada
    If you re-read his post, he names the colour.;)

19. Rano Bass

Rano Bass Tele-Holic

Mar 26, 2014
    Tijuana/San Diego
    Oh hahaha...... i missed that, thanks!

20. loversmoon69

loversmoon69 Tele-Meister

Aug 31, 2013
    kentucky
    has anyone used reranch over duplicolor lacquer ?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.