Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Has anyone used Duplicolor Auto Aerosol?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by tcarp, Jun 7, 2010.

1. chabotte

chabotte NEW MEMBER!

Nov 3, 2011
    Canada
    what was the drying time? did you use nitro for your clear coat?

2. kwp503

kwp503 TDPRI Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Central Kentucky
    I have tried using the duplicolor clear but it doesn't seem to really get hard. Even after months it was still susceptible to imprints. I have however had great success with the Perfect Match rattle cans and nitro clear on top.

3. Shepherd

Shepherd Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2008
    Maple Ridge, Canada
    +1. Stay away from that stuff. The primer is great though.

4. pchilson

pchilson Friend of Leo's

Aug 23, 2007
    Arkansas
    Hmmm...thats odd. I've used the Duplicolor Perfect Match with the clear over it on 3 bodies all done in the last year and a half or so and always liked the combo and results.

I wonder if this could be a humidity level difference. Where I'm at low humidity is the norm. Just speculating.

5. kwp503

kwp503 TDPRI Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Central Kentucky
    Could be. I live in central Kentucky. Summers here are very humid and muggy. But I've never had an issue with the nitro finishes I've done. Who knows, could be operator error on my part.

6. Elias Graves

Elias Graves Friend of Leo's

Apr 27, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Duplicolor light blue metallic on a Tony Rincon custom.

[​IMG]

EG

7. Elias Graves

Elias Graves Friend of Leo's

Apr 27, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Still in process. Duplicolor sunburst gold metallic on a PRS SE Soapbar. No clearcoat yet.

[​IMG]

EG

8. scojan

scojan Tele-Meister

Oct 31, 2010
    Hamilton, Ontario
    'Electric Blue' Metallic Duplicolor, with a Minwax clear lacquer.

[​IMG]

9. Mark Moore

Mark Moore Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2009
    OKUSA

10. dutchgoff

dutchgoff Tele-Holic

Dec 12, 2010
    not here
    Duplicolor dark cherry metallic with minwax clear coat. First and only time I've used it but wont be the last.

Attached Files:

11. frankentele

frankentele Tele-Meister

May 8, 2006
    Viva Osh Vegas
    Scojan, I love this color but I need more info. Exactly which Duplicolor part number did you use? How did you prep this guitar?

Thank you,
    ken

12. flatfive

flatfive Friend of Leo's

Apr 23, 2009
    Monterey, CA
    Those are super nice success stories. I'd like to try the
    Metalcast orange over the Metal Specks Silver. Can you
    say more about how you finished your orange success
    story? For instance, what did you use for primer and
    for the clear coat?

13. scojan

scojan Tele-Meister

Oct 31, 2010
    Hamilton, Ontario
    Duplicolor Perfect Match
    'CBCC0430 Electric Blue Met' (B35/PC3) that's the # up here in Canada, not sure if it'll be the same elsewhere.

I used Deft sanding sealer, 2 coats, light sanding with 600 grit.
    No grainfiller needed as it's a cherry body.
    Duplicolor grey Primer, 2 coats.
    Duplicolor EB Met, 1 full can.
    Minwax gloss Lacquer, 2 full cans.
    Wetsand 600-800-1200 grit.
    Turtlewax brand Polishing compound, with buffer.

14. Mark Moore

Mark Moore Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2009
    OKUSA
    I usually use Rustoleum sandable primer, and those were clearcoated with Deft.

15. billn1959

billn1959 Tele-Meister

May 11, 2011
    Chesapeake, Va
    I built this strat earlier this year using Duplicolor Charcoal Gray Metallic. Clear coated it it with Behlens Stringed Instrument Lacquer.

[​IMG]

16. gator19482005

gator19482005 Tele-Holic

Jan 5, 2005
    Pa
    I painted one using duplicolor metal spec burnt copper. Can out nice with a vintage kinda look to it. I primed it , wet sanded it then spray the copper then used minwax clear poly and wet sanded with 2500 and buffed it out. Smooth ad butter. But the head stock paint cracked from wet sanding to early.

Attached Files:

17. CoolBlueGlow

CoolBlueGlow Tele-Afflicted

Nov 20, 2011
    Arkansas
    re: Duplicolor thoughts.

The preamble: Yes, I've shot lots of lacquer (and lots of other kinds of paints too) - nitrocellulose, acrylic, you name the brand, I've probably shot it. I've bought and used it by the tens of gallons for over 35 years. As I type this, I have eight gallons in my shop, in half a dozen colors plus clear...so I do shoot both color and clear pretty regularly.

Second preamble: You guys who have done such nice jobs on the guitars shown above are to be commended...I am NOT knocking your work, I respect the nice results show in the pictures, and I admire your obvious love for the subject. However, I do want to suggest that if you spent that kind of time with Duplicolor, then I believe you've very likely wasted a lot of labor to get there. Look, lacquer just isn't that difficult or slow. Just imagine if you started with a real quality finish material like Dupont or PPG!

Duplicolor: My recent personal experiences with a few quarts of duplicolor (as sold at your local automotive box house) is that it is an inferior product. I suppose one could call it "lacquer" in the technical sense of the word, but it is not a standard solvents formulation. I believe they have cheaped out on the solvents, both in quality and type.

Shootability - it shoots very poor. Flow is lousy. Fisheye problems seemed particularly endemic.
    Dry Time - The dry times are agonizingly slow by lacquer standards.
    Compatibility - In my experience it is NOT really compatible with quality brands of lacquer, such as Dupont, RMI, PPG, etc. It DEFINITELY will not mix with other brands in the can. By contrast, when necessary to create a custom color, I've mixed numerous acrylic lacquers across brands as diverse as PPG, Dupont and RMI with good to excellent shooting results.

Conclusion: With regard to Duplicolor, my question is this. Since there are so many other options out there which shoot, handle and look like old time lacquer...why mess with Duplicolor? I would call Duplicolor quarts an amateur quality 'quickie' finish material. It dries poorly, does not harden well, and generally feels cheap, when compared A/B with industry standard lacquers. Personally, I would NOT shoot nitro clear over it. I would not recommend it for any finish wherein durability, ease of finish, or a fine final polish is a prime consideration.

My experience with Minwax clear lacquer is that it is vastly overpriced and precut 1:1, so you're really getting about a pint of clear for the price of a quart. That said, it does spray o.k. and seems to behave as a typical nitrocellulose clear lacquer. IMO, there are better choices for much less money.

For nitro lacquers, try your local PPG home finishes store. I buy nitro clear there all the time for about 20 bucks a gallon...and it is not cut as bad as the Minwax stuff. 1 gallon of PPG nitro cut .75 makes 7 quarts of sprayable. Cut it with .75 gallon of DuPont Nason thinner - you have a total of 39 dollars in 7 quarts of sprayable. That's about 5.50 a quart, 1/3 the price of Minwax quarts! You can cover a lot of wood with 7 quarts of sprayable.

A final note - buy quality thinner. In case you didn't already know this, all lacquer thinners are NOT the same. Just because it says "lacquer thinner" on that blue and yellow can does NOT make it a good thinner. Yeah, I'm saying that quality thinner is not that wash crap they sell at Home Depot for eighteen bucks a gallon. If you ever shoot with DuPont 3602, you'll never go back to the garbage they sell at HD. Even DuPont's Nason (their supposedly "cheap" thinner at 11 bucks a gallon) shoots far better than that brush cleaner they sell at the Home Depot.

k

18. Shepherd

Shepherd Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2008
    Maple Ridge, Canada
    Excellent write up. Should be a sticky or in the resources area.

19. flatfive

flatfive Friend of Leo's

Apr 23, 2009
    Monterey, CA

20. flatfive

flatfive Friend of Leo's

Apr 23, 2009
    Monterey, CA
    Hi. I'm curious about the DuPont lacquer you mention, since
    I've never seen it mentioned on TDPRI before (usually we hear
    about Sherwin-Williams lacquer).

Do you happen to know the name of the product?

So far I've only found this, which is labeled as acrylic:

http://shopforpaint.com/Dupont_480S_Ready_to_Spray_Lacquer_Clear/category_id/72.html

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.