Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Has anyone used chalk paint?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Tollehouse Twang, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Tollehouse Twang

Tollehouse Twang TDPRI Member

Jul 24, 2017
    Vista, ca
    Has anyone used this with success? Or put poly or any other finish over it to protect it?

My wife had some Sonic blue chalk paint laying around and I ended up painting one of my scrap pine bodies...

It could work, But it would take some experimenting.

Anyone have any experience to share?

2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Pretty sure I used some a few years ago for a client fan of "shabby chic".
    Chalk paint might be gender specific?
    She wanted formica painted over, and it looked like hell as I had warned.
    But she loved the look.
    Threw out the furniture a year later.
    Blue on pine might relic up nicely in a few minutes, I'm envisioning a guitar that looks like a part of a rustic cafe in a little hamlet in Greece with chickens and yaks roaming around panhandling.
    Wait, yaks don't have hands. Disregard.

Tollehouse Twang likes this.

3. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Oct 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    My wife uses it on furniture regularly. She tops it with wipe on poly. The biggest problem I would see with it is brush marks, but if you thin it enough, it might flow out well. You can make your own chalk paint by mixing sodium bicarbonate into regular latex paint and thinning some. If you use it on an instrument, let us know how it goes!

4. Tollehouse Twang

Jul 24, 2017
    Vista, ca
    Definitely will! I'm thinking a few coats and lightly sanding out brush marks should be fine!

5. S00NERMAN

S00NERMAN Tele-Meister

Jan 7, 2016
    Pratt,KS
    You might search this forum for "milk paint". I seem to recall reading a thread about that somewhere, sounded a lot like what you are trying. Lots of luck! :)

Tollehouse Twang likes this.

6. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Yes. IMO it's not a very attractive guitar finish. It absolutely requires a protective clear topcoat unless you don't mind pigment rubbing off on everything it touches.

FWIW there are lacquer "washes" that are similar, and they can be made withy clear lacquer using various pigments. The look is that of a blotchy semi-transparent.

7. Tollehouse Twang

Jul 24, 2017
    Vista, ca
    Thanks for the info! I went for it! Did a wipe on poly to seal it. I love it actually, I wasn't going for a relic look but it happened naturally in the process so I just left it. I'll post some pics in a few minutes

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.