Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Has anyone tried an Illusion pickup?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by champtone, Feb 4, 2009.

1. champtone

champtone TDPRI Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs
    Hey all,

New to the world of Teles (just got a used '04 Mex Esquire and '52 AVRI :D) and have really been enjoying the info on this forum. I'm loving both of these guitars but am thinking of changing out the PU in the Esquire.

Has anyone tried or used the pickups offered by Illusion Pickups LLC? They have a couple of very cool looking Esquire offerings. I am seeking to replicate the sound of an early 50s Esquire.

Currently only available through eBay:
    http://stores.ebay.com/Illusion-Pickups-LLC

Thx

2. mickeydean

mickeydean Friend of Leo's

May 29, 2008
    millersville
    yes!!!

the first one i got was defective. the D string had almost no output because the pole piece was not magnetized.

the customer service was outstanding. i had a replacement before i could put the bad one in the mail.

the replacement is excellent.

and i don't work for this guy who just happens to be from where the pups are made i believe....

i am sure that's just a co-incidence....

3. mojo2001

mojo2001 Tele-Holic

Feb 5, 2008
    DC
    Yo Mickey, I'm sure he's not the only person living up there!

Welcome to TDPRI, Champtone, and if you happen to know or meet the guy from illusion, see if you can get us all a TDPRI discount! :D

4. champtone

champtone TDPRI Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs
    cool - i am just about 100 miles up the line from where Illusion is making their pickups (Yonkers, NY) which is appealing to me.....i like to buy local whenever i can.

which PU model did you buy?

5. tpaul

tpaul Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 18, 2003
    Vermont
    I was pretty sure I tried one of those once, but it was just an... oh, nevermind.

6. badlands

badlands Tele-Meister

Nov 1, 2007
    sweden
    I´ve got a couple of their 59 esquire pup´s and i´ve tried them in several guitars and i like them alot!

Really nice people to do busines with as well

7. champtone

champtone TDPRI Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs
    Nice - I'm bouncing back and forth between the 50 and 59 Esquire model they offer. Judging by the specs/description they would probably sound quite different. The output of the stock PU in my Mexi Esquire is 6.01k and I'm thinking that I might want a little more oomph from it.......but not too much. I'm trying to dial this guitar in as a true 50s Esquire. Maybe I just talked myself into the 50s version? :rolleyes:

8. steve gibson

steve gibson Tele-Holic

Aug 24, 2008
    fort dodge, iowa
    I just put one in a Pinecaster and I like it a lot.

9. mickeydean

mickeydean Friend of Leo's

May 29, 2008
    millersville
    i got the '59 and am buying another although i am tempted to try the other one

10. champtone

champtone TDPRI Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs
    I know what you mean...damn them for making two verions!
    The SD Broadcaster PU has my interest as well.

11. Tom_B

Tom_B Tele-Meister

Feb 11, 2009
    Astoria, NY

12. buggy911

buggy911 TDPRI Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Germany
    Hi I´ve got the Broadcaster Set and have to say, the PU´s sound weak and flat. The high E-string on neck PU has very very low output. Guess the pickups are not correctly magnetised. Hope to get a refund ´cause I´m disappointed. Expected a much better sound.
    I know that Broadcaster Pickups should be more "beefy" compared to Nocaster PU´s, but these I´ve got are not good. No twang and no beef... Buggy

13. Hack

Hack Tele-Meister

Oct 14, 2009
    Somewhere, Oregon
    Any updates for this thread? I understand that Illusion has corrected their quality control issue with the pickup magnets (i.e. fired the guy that was screwing them up).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.