Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Has anyone hollowed out under bridge?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Tollehouse Twang, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Tollehouse Twang

Tollehouse Twang TDPRI Member

Jul 24, 2017
    Vista, ca
    Has anyone hollowed out under a tele bridge? (As much as possible) And with what effect? Was daydreaming and was wondering if anyone's done it!

2. philosofriend

philosofriend Tele-Meister

Oct 28, 2015
    Kalamazoo
    The wood under the bridge has a lot to do with the tonal difference between a solid-body electric and a hollowbody (such as Gibson's 125 series). If you carved away the wood under the bridge you would lose some of the clear tone and definite tight attack of a solidbody guitar.

I have a weird guitar made from an old hollowbody archtop. I can take the back off and keep playing it because of a strip of wood between the back of the neckblock and the endblock. I've changed the thickness of the wood under the bridge many times, the effect on the sound through an amp is very sensitive to every change. Your odds on getting your dream sound on your first experiment are awfully slim. Guitar designers have to make a lot of prototypes to get and idea working.

Have you ever played one of those Maple top archtops? (not the 335 series that actually have a solid wood block under the bridge). I love my friend's 125, but I don't know if I would want to hack up a tele to try to move its sound in that direction. My only advice is, if you want to satisfy your curiosity in guitar design, work fast and ugly. If you are lucky enough to get a result you like, then think about copying it with more attention to appearance. Let your prototypes be ugly and easy to modify.

xafinity likes this.

3. Tollehouse Twang

Jul 24, 2017
    Vista, ca
    Thanks for the reply. That's funny bc that's exactly how I work. Just dreaming different ideas up and throwing it together. If I like it, then spend the time and make it the best I can.

Stumbled upon a really cool Idea this way... I'm sure someone had done it but I haven't seen it anywhere. So I was making my first thinline out of scrap pine and when I routed out the Chambers one of the Knott's busted out. Very cleanly I might add. The Knott was on the back/top o the body and a lightbulb went off. "Make a new thinline with a big knot hole strategically placed as a substitute for a f hole" Going to start soon. Thinking of a white milk paint finish with a light stain under it

4. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    I like the knotty f-hole idea. You will have to post pics when this is done.

5. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Tele-Holic

Feb 26, 2017
    Manchester UK
    I already giggle at the innuendo of 'f-hole' - if it can be fully penetrated I will blush:oops::oops::oops::oops:

6. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I made a series of fully hollow teles, with nothing under the bridge. I made a body, hollowed it out, and then made a 1/4 inch top and braced it. The tele bridge plate screws into the top, and I use a top-loader bridge.

The result has some of the attack of an archtop, and I've been very happy with it. You do lose some of what's good about a solid body in exchange

thread is here

I've made a couple more since then. My current fave has a maple top

7. Tollehouse Twang

Jul 24, 2017
    Vista, ca
    Definitely will! I'm almost finished with my Mahogany build so I'll be getting strated soon!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.