Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Harvard 5F10 Build

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by mjcyates, Nov 14, 2018.

1. mjcyates

mjcyates Tele-Meister

May 4, 2010
    louisville ky
    Been thinking about building a Harvard 5F10 for a while and came across a chassis on ebay for a decent price so I pulled the plug. I have the Fender layout that is commonly available. I have seen a couple of board layouts on this forum. Does anyone have a good complete layout including offboard wiring similar to the layouts that Rob Robinette has on his site for the 5e3?

2. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    I would love it if someone could talk @robrob into doing as thorough of an analysis of the 5F11 (big brother to the Harvard) as he's done with the 5E3. I think it would be a great candidate given that it's a fixed bias example and uses a bias-wiggle tremolo (they went a different direction with the Tremolux). As an artifact, it's unique within Fender's inventory.

Otherwise there's a couple of guys here who have built Harvard's before. What about the original Fender layout isn't clear to you? You could always just grab Mojotone's 5F11 layout diagram and subtract as warranted.

harvard_5f10_layout.gif

Tweed-Vibrolux-WD---Bias-Pot.gif

3. mjcyates

mjcyates Tele-Meister

May 4, 2010
    louisville ky
    Thanks for the reply. I want to use a different grounding scheme than the original Fender layout. I also want to do the bias pot in lieu of the fixed bias arrangement in the Fender layout. Also it's just really hard for my old eyes to read. Honestly between these two layouts I will probably be fine. Just wondering if anyone had a really good easy to read layout that they have successfully used.

4. JuneauMike

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    If you search online you can find a larger file size version of the Mojotone layout. Mine was a large 11x17 sheet. Robrob's 5E3 split bus grounding scheme works for this amp too. Mojotone presumes a 10k bias pot, but pretty much everyone will recommend you go with a 50k. Hope that helps.

theprofessor likes this.
  5. mjcyates

mjcyates Tele-Meister

May 4, 2010
    louisville ky
    It does, the only question that I think I have based on these two layouts is the filament wiring on the 6AT6 preamp tube.

6. Mr Ridesglide

Mr Ridesglide Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Dec 11, 2009
    Bloomington, MN
    Only pin 3 is the filament on the 6AT6.

7. Mr Ridesglide

Dec 11, 2009
    Bloomington, MN
    And I am pretty sure you jumper it over to pin 4 :)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  8. mjcyates

mjcyates Tele-Meister

May 4, 2010
    louisville ky
    Thanks guys, much appreciated! Parts should be rolling in soon.

9. JuneauMike

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    Before you punch that order in, I'd recommend you download DIYLC (its free) and do your own layout. I did that on my last build and I've used the program to layout a build that's still in its planning phase. It was really instructive. The program is really intuitive too, you can get the hang of it by just playing with it. That's the program Rob uses for the layouts you saw on his page.

I found that when I sat with the schematic and the old tyme Fender layout and recreated it on the page that I could kinda climb inside the circuit. It helped me in deciding what parts to purchase before the build and helped in some layout challenges that presented themselves. FWIW.

Mr Ridesglide likes this.
  10. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jan 18, 2010
    Reston, Virginia
    I love tweed Harvard's, Michael Clark just built me his version called the Webster. It's a wonderful amp. Sounds big and loud with an original Jensen P10Q from 1959. Maybe send Michael an email and see if he can help you.

http://www.clarkamplification.com/webster.html

RJ

11. Mr Ridesglide

Dec 11, 2009
    Bloomington, MN
    Yes, but it’s a 6V tune not a 12v. So that’s why I think you jumper the two pins with one 6.3v filament wire. Heck I should know off the top of my head as I’ve put together a few of these now. :) lemme go look at one.

12. JuneauMike

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    The 12AT6 is a 12v and 6AT6 is 6v. Just looking at the Fender layout diagram and the more modern 5F11 diagram I would have thought you'd elevate the ground and run a heater wire to each pin.

But yeah, I defer to your experience definitely. I'm out of my depth on most things amp-related. Ha.

Mr Ridesglide likes this.
  13. Mr Ridesglide

Dec 11, 2009
    Bloomington, MN
  14. Mr Ridesglide

Dec 11, 2009
    Bloomington, MN
    Sorry Juneau Mike. :). You are correct!!

JuneauMike likes this.
  15. mjcyates

mjcyates Tele-Meister

May 4, 2010
    louisville ky
    "Before you punch that order in, I'd recommend you download DIYLC (its free) and do your own layout. I did that on my last build and I've used the program to layout a build that's still in its planning phase."

Once again, thanks for the replies. I have done enough research to know the components that I want, except for the transformers. I have seen a few posts to point me in the right direction for those. I am actually doing my own layout in visio. I will post it here when I think it is somewhat complete so you guys can tell me if I got it right or not :).

16. JuneauMike

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    The blind squirrel gets a nut ...

Mouth likes this.
  17. Stratandtele

Stratandtele Tele-Meister

Mar 31, 2016
    New Jersey
    I built the Mojotone 5f11, basically a Harvard with tremolo. It's a great sounding amp. It is a much "cleaner" amp than a 5e3 deluxe or Princeton. It stays clean up to about 6 on the volume then gets only moderately dirty at full volume. Have fun with your build, I'll be watching. Please post pics as you go along.

18. Mr Ridesglide

Dec 11, 2009
    Bloomington, MN
    What PT did you buy? The Hammond one I used last time was spot on for voltages. 290CAX.

robrob and jsnwhite619 like this.
  19. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Holic

Feb 12, 2011
    Central IL
    King Fan and Mr Ridesglide like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.